Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few modding questions  (Read 532 times)

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few modding questions
« on: June 14, 2011, 06:48:04 pm »

I'm a newbie modder and I'm wondering...
1. Can you make things usable as fertilizer? I got the idea of bonemeal from a combination of a thread about overproduction and a minecraft update... Will it work for fertilizing or is that hardcoded?
2. Can you make noble positions based on caste, for example Homestuck trolls, where trolls with blue/purple blood are nobles? For example, only purple bloods are king/queen, blue are barons and the like, etc.
3. Is there a way to mod in a psuedo-telekinesis thingy?

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: A few modding questions
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:02:03 pm »

1. No, the fertilizer part is hard coded. You could make a reaction to convert bonemeal into potash for fertilizer, but you can't make other types of fertilizer.

2. As far as I know, there isn't a way. However, you could make a gender specific nobility rank, and set a single caste to be either MALE or FEMALE.

3. There isn't a way for direct telekinesis. However, if by telekinesis you mean a powerful mind blast, then you could use TRAILING_DUST_FLOW for a targeted mind blast or UNDIRECTED_DUST for a powerful aoe attack. Note that UNDIRECTED_DUST tends to kill the creature using it, so you might as well ignore apply it. Also, your creature can use multiple breath attacks, so you can add both TRAILING and UNDIRECTED dust type breath attacks to your creature with no problems.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 06:23:38 am »

You know what DF needs? We need to be able to get into the program itself for the harcoded things, as a lot of cool things are HARDCODED!!!!!!!!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 06:53:01 am »

Yeah, true. But DF isn't open source, and the next version has an incredibly cool editable feature: Interaction Syndromes.

Well, aside from the fact that DF has some hardcoded things, Toady himself has considered turning one of the hardcoded features into editable stuff, liquids to be specific.

With all that being said, it's up to Toady whether he should convert some stuff to be editable or not.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.