Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What's your biggest migration wave number?  (Read 8848 times)

yoditax

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's your biggest migration wave number?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2012, 11:50:18 am »

It was 51 dwarves. It was amazing. Like 30 seconds staring at the appearing dwarves. Also, like 10 of them were good marksdwarves.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2012, 02:06:19 pm »

Upper 30's I believe. Too bad most of them had some useless craft skill, of which we had at least 2 dwarves who were already amazing in that skill.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 02:51:40 pm »

Migrants are always funny. You'd always want more at the beginning so that you can begin a megaproject, but you almost want emmigration once the fort reaches 5 years or older, when all the megaprojects are completed and the fortress is self-sustaining. I've gotten a near-tripling of first-year population once, from 19 dwarves post-autumn to 51 post-spring (1 baby, 31 migrants!) (though one shortly perished from a snatcher whipping his head off).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:53:50 pm by dree12 »

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 02:58:10 pm »

Once, just once I recieved a migration of 54 dwarves. 35 of which were children.

Between starting the fort and the first -true- wave of migrants I had built a system of some 5 weapon traps all with large iron serrated discs. This had bumped my fortress value well over 100k. So after the first caravan came and went my first real migrant wave was ridiculous.

Little bastards drank all my booze.
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 04:11:45 pm »

6 fishermen
2 peasants
15-ish children
5 wood related skills
2 waxworkers
3 Clerks
and a vampire

On a desert map with no wood or water. They drank all my booze and the last dwarf died ten paces away from swiping a drink from a human caravan.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 10:55:44 pm »

But vampires don't need to drink.
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 03:55:53 am »

I had 43 migrants for the 3rd wave of migrants a few forts ago.I was not prepared to take in so many mouths.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 05:01:53 am »

You get more dwarves if your fortress is worth a lot- If you churn out a valuable artifact or tunnel right down to the blue stuff, you'll get migrants in droves.

Except I get waves in the 30's from just building and smoothing my basic fortress. When building 10 nice bedrooms and a dining hall generates 20 new migrants it's getting a little silly and I find myself fire-fighting the dwarven influx rather than working on my projects. I must desensitize myself to the little buggers more...

Optionally, you could cull the ones you don't want or set a cap in the init files. It's your game, play it how you want to.

If there was a "max migrant wave" setting that would be so awesome. I don't mind 200 dwarves, I just don't want them all arriving in less than a year.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 05:07:41 am »

I know Ive gotten over 70 dwarves one wave. 20~ seems normal for me, but I almost always try to create as much wealth as possible.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Alidus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 05:10:47 am »

Between 50 and 70. I don't really count them that closely - I just know that they've nearly doubled the population before.

I'm actually glad when it's ONLY like 15 or so.

Edit: I just now counted one and there were 43. Some of them apparently from a previous fort that I didn't feel like managing anymore because it was large and convoluted, and the aqueduct got stagnated when it wasn't initially so I said FML and left it. Though is very nice that three of my previous Legendary dwarfs decided to show up.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 06:24:52 am by Alidus »

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 09:06:06 pm »

Relatively new to the game, I know just enough to get me into the 2nd year comfortably....

But my largest wave of immigrants was just on Monday, had 27 dwarves, decent military and food stocks... until 40 more show up. I spent the next day trying to figure out how to utilize so many useless professions and rangers (which were better). About 2 hours of play later, everyone started going a little crazy from lack of booze, and I know i cant produce enough to keep everyone happy, meanwhile they are charging the nearby (other side of the map) brook in search of drinks...

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 02:09:38 am »

Biggest was something like 45, on the first spring wave.  About half were kids.

I set my population cap a bit lower to 150 dwarves since I don't need too many of them.  This usually helps.  And completely hopeless dwarves either are assigned to hauling crap around, or get put into death squads to soften up the goblins.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 04:50:43 am »

Relatively new to the game, I know just enough to get me into the 2nd year comfortably....

But my largest wave of immigrants was just on Monday, had 27 dwarves, decent military and food stocks... until 40 more show up. I spent the next day trying to figure out how to utilize so many useless professions and rangers (which were better). About 2 hours of play later, everyone started going a little crazy from lack of booze, and I know i cant produce enough to keep everyone happy, meanwhile they are charging the nearby (other side of the map) brook in search of drinks...

For the future; if you have no idea what to do with a dwarf stick him down as a generic hauler but give them the farming job as well and plant some large fields (7*7) fields and fill them with plump helmets. Get 4 of these dwarves and set up 2 brewers and one cook and a craftsman. Build 2 stills, one kitchen and craft shop. Set up brewing and cooking and making rock pots on repeat. Ideally make sure their bedrooms and (personal?) dining rooms are nearby to minimize downtime. If you aren't *drowning* in booze and covered in food by a few seasons I'll be shocked.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 12:36:01 pm »

^-- Add some quarry bushes and a tresher to the mix and you'll end with food stacks worth thousands of Dwarf Bucks.

My biggest waves always come in spring and they are usually over 30. I don't do anything especial other than build farms and rooms. Now I disabled migrations and play with my original 11-20.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 02:42:14 pm »

Mine was like 27. I didn't need any new dwarves and they just arrived when I finished my death trap which also works like an arena. Unlucky them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4