Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What's your biggest migration wave number?  (Read 8845 times)

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
Re: What's your biggest migration wave number?
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 06:41:08 pm »

40 or so not counting the numerous animals they brought (which then bred with mine). I had 60 dwarves at the time, and my FPS was barely clinging to 90.
Complete FPS murder.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2012, 07:14:24 am »

40, from 7 to 47 instantly. I really should have known better than to start making steel arms and armour right away.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2012, 07:51:38 pm »

For the future; if you have no idea what to do with a dwarf stick him down as a generic hauler but give them the farming job as well and plant some large fields (7*7) fields and fill them with plump helmets. Get 4 of these dwarves and set up 2 brewers and one cook and a craftsman. Build 2 stills, one kitchen and craft shop. Set up brewing and cooking and making rock pots on repeat. Ideally make sure their bedrooms and (personal?) dining rooms are nearby to minimize downtime. If you aren't *drowning* in booze and covered in food by a few seasons I'll be shocked.
Thanks for the advice!

I think that wave had come with 5 or 6 farmers anyways... but since that fort ran out of food in short order, everyone got a little upset and i decided to make a new one.

This time, I only have 1 kitchen, 1 still, and i cant make enough pots / barrels / etc to hold the food being shot out by my brewers and farmers :D This fort also beat my previous record, my population went from 16 to 58, so 42. then a half hour later, it went to 85. Still no problems with food or booze, but I have lost a few kids to kidnappers. My military wasnt quite fast enough to save them

laijka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 10:15:30 am »

While not so big in numbers, this one wave really stuck with my since it turned my kinda new fort in to chaos.

I had just started and had 10-12 dwarves. Had just dug out a living quarter for them plus some extra for the next immigration wave which I expected to be around 7ish dwarves.

How many came? 23. Yep, 23 dwarves. My fortress population tripled. There were dwarves standing around doing nothing everywhere and the food/booze industry was on it's knees. Unhappiness followed and yea, you know how it goes.

But stuff got hauled lightning quick.

Kel

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXPLODABLE][MAGMA_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 11:52:02 am »

27, I think, over doubling my fortress population.

On a somewhat related note, I once got a migrant wave of 7 dwarves... 5 of which were children. And the other 2 had some useless skills I wasn't bothered with.
You don't need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence."

Tribes: Ascend is pretty good. Check it out here:
http://tinyurl.com/KelTribes

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 12:55:47 pm »

Something like 23.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 05:01:56 pm »

I don't know what to do with my dwarves. I usually make unneeded dwarves farmers or haulers but I already got like 1200 prepared meals and around 1500 normal food. Killing them just makes others sad.

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2012, 07:03:10 pm »

I just enable masonry on most of the useless ones and go crazy building walls everywhere. That makes my fortress slightly more dwarfy than a simple hole in the ground.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2012, 01:55:07 pm »

I just enable masonry on most of the useless ones and go crazy building walls everywhere. That makes my fortress slightly more dwarfy than a simple hole in the ground.
This. I can't get enough masons/carpenters when building a real megaproject.

pedroislander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2012, 01:07:29 pm »

28 Urists.

laijka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2012, 04:21:01 am »

While not so big in numbers, this one wave really stuck with my since it turned my kinda new fort in to chaos.

I had just started and had 10-12 dwarves. Had just dug out a living quarter for them plus some extra for the next immigration wave which I expected to be around 7ish dwarves.

How many came? 23. Yep, 23 dwarves. My fortress population tripled. There were dwarves standing around doing nothing everywhere and the food/booze industry was on it's knees. Unhappiness followed and yea, you know how it goes.

But stuff got hauled lightning quick.

And they did it again. Newly started fort. 14 inhabitants, going well. Immigrants come. 27 of them. Now have 41 inhabitants. This is going to be fun.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2012, 10:55:55 am »

I did an experiment last night to try and see how may migrants I could get in my 3rd wave. Since I've always read that the size of migration waves depends on wealth produced, I specifically created as much wealth as I could before the first caravan, figuring that would cause a big migrant wave. By the end of spring I had created over 300,000☼. I got 4 migrants in the summer wave, but we know the first two waves are hardcoded and don't depend on fortress value. By the end of summer I was over 750,000☼. I got 3 migrants in the autumn wave. When the caravan arrived, I had a little over 1,400,000☼. I bought everything they had, which was ~55,000☼, and gave them 100% profit. Then I offered another 900,000☼ to the king. So the caravan left with just over <dr_evil>one million dwarfbucks</dr_evil> in goods. I then continued wealth production and was back up over 1.5 million when the spring migration wave came.

I was expecting 50 or more migrants, and was disappointed to only get 29. So I'm now thinking that value creation isn't the only factor in how big migration waves are. This wave did, however more than triple my population. I had 14 and got 29 more. I've heard others mention waves that tripled their population, but never heard anyone say they had a wave that quadrupled it. I wonder if maybe migration wave size is capped at 2N+1, where N is the population beforehand. That's what I got, but this is based on a sample size of 1, which is not really a sample, more of an anecdote.

I'm going to continue wealth building (while preparing for the inevitable ambushes and sieges that it will attract) and see if my 4th wave is huge. Let's see, I have 43 now, if the cap is 2N+1, then I could get as many as 87. That's assuming I have amassed enough wealth to hit the cap (and assuming there is a cap, and that it is 2N+1, and that I survive that long, yada yada).
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2012, 01:02:54 am »

Largest one was 42 in the first wave of the 2nd year in spring. Put me into real trouble, but half of them were made into masons and startet to happily produce blocks over blocks and some of them startet to smooth all the walls. Anyone else, of those useable, were put in the army.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

stargazer1717

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2012, 09:46:11 pm »

Yesterday on my new fortress (which is now dead  due to about 30 gremlins spawning in a cavern which i thought was sealed off, and a ambush above which got through the last 3 squares of the wall i almost sealed off) i got a wave of 53 migrants which brought me up to 80. Not sure how or why it happened . sorting that out in dwarf therapist was a true pain though.
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2012, 10:59:30 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4