Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simple UI enhancements (selected individual dwarf UI)  (Read 438 times)

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Simple UI enhancements (selected individual dwarf UI)
« on: June 14, 2011, 01:38:52 pm »

A few simple enhancements to the individual dwarf UI (v -> cursor over a dwarf or u -> c) would make it a great deal easier to manage dwarves on the ground. First, the ability to draft a selected dwarf to a squad with vacancies would make it a great deal easier to react to unexpected guests. Currently if you want to temporarily draft a woodcutter to take his axe to a kobold thief, you have to look up that dwarf by name in the military screen (and they're in order of appearance in the fortress, not alphabetical or anything easy like that). If you could merely select the dwarf then hit D (or whatever) to be presented with a list of possible squads to draft him to, it would make our lives much easier.

Tyg13

• Bay Watcher
  • And then I was bacon.
    • View Profile
Re: Simple UI enhancements (selected individual dwarf UI)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 02:08:14 pm »

This used to be possible in 40d. Just v->p->A and it would make them a military dwarf. When the military UI was overhauled with a bunch of new features (and an equal amount of bugs  ::) ) apparently there were some changes made to the individual dwarf screen as well. I'm not really sure why, but I can see exactly what you're talking about. I liked that old feature, and I'm really unsure as to why Toady took it out.