Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Sweet pods farming non-sustainable?  (Read 10546 times)

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet pods farming non-sustainable?
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 06:24:56 pm »

I've found that farmers often start with the above-ground crops before even continuing with underground planting. And since Sweet pods typically take the whole season (or is that 2/3 of the season?) to grow; your farmers need to be either quick or you'll have to temporarily disable some of the aboveground plots during a change of season (since strawberries and such can be planted in any season anyway) so they'll start underground.

And yes, check if you're allowing your cooks to work with seeds.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 12:50:08 am »

If I have four farms in a square, which one gets planted first?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 12:58:59 am »

I've never had problem with sweet pods, nor other seed issues. Milling and brewing leaves seeds behind, so does processing. As far as I can tell, cooking of any seeds are off by default, and I'm fairly sure sweet pods aren't cookable. Would suggest checking the kitchen for seed-cooking and checking your stockpiles.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2012, 09:02:40 am »

Just for the record, I am also having problems with sweet pods recently (34.07). 

I embark with 25 plump helmet seeds, 9 sweet pod seeds, 9 cave wheat seeds, 9 pig tail seeds, and 9 rock nuts.  I checked the initial saves to see that I did in fact bring the sweet pod seeds, and I did. 

I dedicate one field to each type, for all of the seasons during which they will grow.  I don't begin cooking anything, let alone seeds, during the first year.  I don't plant rock nuts in the first year since they can neither be brewed nor eaten raw, not do they produce clothing. 

At the beginning of the second year, I have 9 cave wheat, 9 pig tails, and zero sweet pods.  There are no sweet pod seeds, either, which is to be expected because I observed their planting.

The growth duration is the same for sweet pods as it is for cave wheat, but the seasons are different.   Sweet pods grow during spring and summer, while cave wheat grows during summer and autumn.  Perhaps the point made above about season lengths, in combination with the inevitably rushed timeframe during the first year when the plots are excavated and built, is the cause.  If the sweet pod seeds were not planted until the end of summer, the sweet pods would not mature before their season ran out.

I probably did not see this happening before because previous to the relatively immediate demand for children's clothing I did not plant anything but plump helmets during the first year.  Having decided to rush the first harvest of pig tails, I also decided to plant cave wheat and sweet pods in the first year.  That is probably a mistake, at least for the sweet pods.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 09:06:00 am »

Good necro mate!

I always do two plots.  One does edible plants, the other does textiles.  My edibles field alternates Strawberries -> Prickle Berries -> Strawberries -> Fisher Berries.  If I had sunberries, then those are used instead of strawberries, and strawberries used in place of fisher.

I've never seen crops lose to season change, and I specifically make my fields change every season.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 09:11:29 am »

Out of curiosity I just checked my stocks screen.

No sweet pod seeds to be found, though I've had a field of them designated and growing in the past. I can't tell whether or not any have grown since it could be years since any dwarven rum was made.

I have edited the raws of my plants so that they all take much longer to grow so that farming isn't easymode, but sweet pods are no different in that respect than any of my other plants, and none of them seem to give me this problem. This is highly disturbing.

Why is the rum gone?
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 09:43:09 am »

Good necro mate!

I always do two plots.  One does edible plants, the other does textiles.  My edibles field alternates Strawberries -> Prickle Berries -> Strawberries -> Fisher Berries.  If I had sunberries, then those are used instead of strawberries, and strawberries used in place of fisher.

I've never seen crops lose to season change, and I specifically make my fields change every season.

No ... but, you probably aren't trying to plant seeds near the end of a season.  Sweet pod seeds bought from the caravan and planted in later years seem to be sustainable for me in 34.07.  Now either the Mountainhome is selling colonists seeds of the Faux Sweet Pod (a non-fruit-bearing ornamental), or there is something different about my farming in the first year.  I usually excavate a room in soil for farm plots.  Most of the time that is at entrance level, but sometimes it is a one or more levels up or down from the entrance.  I also immediately arrange for a permanent water supply.  It is summer before I have the farming plots built.  Of all of the edible crops, including quarry leaves, only sweet pods have summer as their final season.

Edit: As I recollect, a crop will mature in a season for which is not specified in the plot, as long as it actually can grow in that season.  Above-ground crops can grow year-round, so even if the seeds are planted very near the end of a season the plants will have time to mature.  In other words, your seasonal crop rotation may be occurring at the end of the seasons instead of at the beginning.  They still work fine.  Setting subterranean crops to grow year-round would probably fix the problem, although it would make farming even easier than it is.  It would certainly make more sense for subterranean crops to grow year-round.  What are seasons, when it is always 58 degrees and dark?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:00:18 am by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 10:11:06 am »

Ah, now the seasonal issue makes sense!  The previous explanation was "the farms destroy everything at the start of a season" which was just a little bit bologna.  But the growth thing, yeah, I'll believe that.

Patroclus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2012, 10:16:03 am »

The Caravan from Monsanto is selling you genetically-engineered terminator seeds.

But seriously... if you do run out of sweet pods and don't want to wait for the caravan to bring more seeds, and you have an underground tree farm/pasture area, you can get some sweet pods from the Plant Gathering labor in underground pastures.
I want Hell to be a place where my dwarves can live in peace and harmony.

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2012, 10:17:47 am »

Sweet pod seeds bought from the caravan and planted in later years seem to be sustainable for me in 34.07.

I'll have to try this and see if it works out for me, since the only sweet pods I've planted are the ones I took on embark, but I'm skeptical as to how this would happen in the first place, and to only one plant type.

Now getting a caravan into my fort... that's going to be tricksy.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2012, 10:20:39 am »

Sweet pods have also gone mysteriously extinct in my 43.07 community fort.  I am not doing anything as far as farming them differently than I have done in fortresses in previous versions, so something may have changed in DF.  I will buy some more seeds from the caravan and see if I can get production started again.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2012, 10:28:55 am »

I've never seen seeds destroyed.  I always have leftover crops in the field, and a few of last season's harvest at the begining of the current season.
When seasons change crops that don't grow in that season die, when playing above ground in genesis I have to forbid farm plots halfway through autumn because the winter freeze is liable to wipe out all of the seeds in the stockpile. It generally doesn't bear note in vanilla but sometimes you get unlucky.

ddonohu2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2012, 10:41:22 am »

Right now brewing sweet pods is not producing seeds consistently, also, is it usual for pods to be brewed in stacks (stack of any size = 1 pot)?

My still was overflowing with sweet pod seeds. I stop the repeat order and let things get cleared out and then start up again. Each stack of pods brewed results in a pot of rum and nothing else.

Edit: Just tried milling and got no seeds from that either. I'm going to wait until spring and try again with year old and fresh crops.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 10:45:00 am by ddonohu2 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2012, 10:45:36 am »

Brewing consumes a whole stack and produces 5x per plant.  Sweet Pod produces Rum[5], while Sweet Pod[3] produces Rum[15].  That part is working as intended.

ddonohu2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2012, 10:47:58 am »

Brewing consumes a whole stack and produces 5x per plant.  Sweet Pod produces Rum[5], while Sweet Pod[3] produces Rum[15].  That part is working as intended.

Sorry, forgot to check the actual pot contents.
Pages: 1 [2] 3