Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sweet pods farming non-sustainable?  (Read 10547 times)

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sweet pods farming non-sustainable?
« on: June 14, 2011, 01:16:24 pm »

It seems every few years I run out of sweet pod seeds and start having to order more. I turned off all milling jobs when I realized sugar doesn't leave a seed, does syrup not either? How do I get as many sweet pods seeds as I ahve plump helmet?

EDIT: While I'm asking questions anyway, why do my tame elephants still cause job interruptions all day? I want to butcher them, but instead I just get to watch them rampage around my fortress scaring laborers until the dogs hunt them down.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:48:30 pm by WJLIII3 »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Sweet pods farming non-sustainable?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 01:46:41 pm »

Milling sweet pods to make sugar *does* leave seeds.  So does producing syrup.  The only action that destroys seeds is cooking, and you can't cook sweet pods.

You may be losing your seeds because seeds left in a field are destroyed when the seasons change, and your dwarves may be planting sweet pod seeds right before the season changes and then losing all the seeds.

As for your elephants - what specific job interruptions are they causing?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 01:49:00 pm »

Everything they go near, they are treated like hostiles, even when tame.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 01:51:02 pm »

Did the elephants ever kill, injure or attack any of your dwarves?  If so, they'll always be hostile, even after being tamed.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 02:03:31 pm »

They are calves, born into captivity to a captured war elephant

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 02:15:04 pm »

Yeah, there's some weirdness with offspring of captured invader mounts.  I have a captured war horse in my fortress who is perfectly tame, but gives birth to foals that are hostile to everything.  It seems to be a bug.

You're better off just slaughtering them, since tame elephants invariable starve to death.  They can't eat fast enough to stay fed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 04:20:29 pm »

Coincidentally, offspring of invaders suffers a similar issue, as my short-term elf breeding project showed.

Z stock, Kitchen, make sure you're not cooking sweet pod seeds.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
  • This space has been left blank by the user.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 04:30:48 pm »

Put your elephants in a pasture, as they need to eat.
Actually, better idea. Since elephants will starve out no matter what and end up harming your other pastured animals just butcher them.
Animals who don't get food and start starving will go crazy and begin to attack everything.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 04:33:11 pm »

No... you're mixing your cause and effects here.  The issue is that you put two animals on a pasture, and they both start eating grass.  When two animals spend too much time near one another, they get fighty.  Eventually the grass depletes, and the animals are pushed into smaller spaces every time grass grows, so they "fight" over small plots of grass, crowding each other trying to eat it, and subsequently fighting.  Animals pastured on stone, or not at all, don't fight when they're hungry.  Only when they get crowded.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
  • This space has been left blank by the user.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 04:35:25 pm »

No... you're mixing your cause and effects here.  The issue is that you put two animals on a pasture, and they both start eating grass.  When two animals spend too much time near one another, they get fighty.  Eventually the grass depletes, and the animals are pushed into smaller spaces every time grass grows, so they "fight" over small plots of grass, crowding each other trying to eat it, and subsequently fighting.  Animals pastured on stone, or not at all, don't fight when they're hungry.  Only when they get crowded.

There'll still starve out no matter what, because elephants can't eat fast enough.
War elephants are awesome, though. Too bad they'll inevitably die from hunger.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 04:36:42 pm »

They are calves, born into captivity to a captured war elephant
Captured war elephants are members of the enemy civilization and thus enemies of your own fortress - no matter how much you try to tame them, they will continue to be hostile. It would seem that their offspring inherit civilization membership.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 04:42:49 pm »

Sweet pods need a time of 500 in order to grow while most other crops need 300 to grow. Thus it's more likely that a field of sweet pods won't be fully grown and thus the seeds will be destoyed.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 04:50:56 pm »

I've never seen seeds destroyed.  I always have leftover crops in the field, and a few of last season's harvest at the begining of the current season.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 04:56:22 pm »

Íf I'm correct it only occurs when the game decides to try and plant a different kind of plant on the same tile (trough some science could be done on this subject maybe if I have some extra time on my hands(I'm going to try and write a piece of self changing program for school related purpose)).
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 05:24:24 pm »

Íf I'm correct it only occurs when the game decides to try and plant a different kind of plant on the same tile (trough some science could be done on this subject maybe if I have some extra time on my hands(I'm going to try and write a piece of self changing program for school related purpose)).

That may be the case.  I only ever use fields to plant one kind of crop at a time - if a plant only grows for 2 seasons of the year, I leave it fallow the other two - and I've never had trouble with running out of seeds.
Pages: [1] 2 3