Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mindonslaught - Dwarven Mining Facility and Prison Complex. Community Game  (Read 1069 times)

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
  • This space has been left blank by the user.
    • View Profile

The queen's assistant looked up at the four prisoners quickly, then continued to recording the conversation. He was given the job of writing down the conversation, punishment and all the important things. Later he would have to return to his office in the boiling underground of the Mountainhome, and put the documents in the correct file.
For now all he had to do was listen to the jingling of the cuffs and her Highness yelling.

The guards prodded at his back with the shafts of their spears, his hands were rubbed raw from the nights spent in the jail with the restraints around him. The Queen must have disliked him the most, or more specifically him and the others, as she had their ankles and hands bound by rusty chains which tore at his skin every time he tried to make a simple movement. He had waited a long time, thirty eight days to be exact. With only the occasional food and drink to keep he and his companions alive. Now he was at the mercy of the Queen for theft, fraud and assault. The Queen was a fat, old dwarf. She wore a dark red pigskin dress, made by her legendary clothier. Atop her head sat a golden crown, adorned with several gems and spikes of bone piercing the air around it. A thin line was drawn across her face, her mouth barely moving as quietly spoke her orders, "Will the prisoners step forward." There was a long pause, then each guard took two of them by their neck, like children, and shoved us forward. We were weary from our long days of getting little to no sleep, and they tumbled to a pile. The chains rubbed against their wrists again, drawing small pricks of blood as scabs uncovered days old cuts. The group stood up to find the Queen shaking her head and she spoke again. This time she barked at them, like a feral dog, "You are charged with the stealing of food and coins. You have tried to counterfeit copper coins, as if the sum you stole was not enough." She spoke to them as if they were one, which they technically where by then. The chains made them move as a group, if one fell the others fell. "Then when the city guard tried to take you in you attempted to stab him, y-" One of them proceeded to cut her off, which was not a good idea. "Your highness, we did that all for the go-" He dropped to the ground unconscious from a swift hit aside the head from one of the guardsmen. The Queen's glare hardened as she continued, "You are condemned to work in the prison and mines until you drop dead." She did not bother prettying it up, and with a ring covered hand she dismissed them and shuffled back to her private quarters.

The assistant scribbled down what was left and watched as the prisoners were hauled back to their cells until they were to embark on their journey. Quickly he half jogged down the hallway and stopped the Queen. "Your Highness," he said as he bowed. "Don't you think that was a bit harsh on them? Perhaps several years in the prison would be okay..." The Queen looked at him nodded at a nearby guard. "Then you shall be joining them in the dungeons and on the journey." She said, laughing. Pointing at two other guards she added, "You'll be keeping order there. Go watch the prisoners!" And with that she retired into her bedroom for the day.

Before the days of when they set off the four prisoners were trained in using picks and chopping down trees, the former assistant to the queen was given a brief lesson on how to suture, dress wounds, set bones and all the necessities of a doctor. After they packed their wagon they set off to where Mindonslaught should have been.

Shorast sighed as she and the others were pushed along by the two guardsmen. Looking behind her she recognized the others, but the assistant to the Queen was also shackled as they walked. What a peculiar thing, why would he be here?
After several days they stopped, Urist and Kogsak dropping the wagon handles. The two guards growled angrily and one yelled, "Where the bloody hell is the damned prison?!"
Kikrost walked ahead, picking up the map and studied it for a man. Finally he let out a heavy sigh and said, "There is no prison. She wanted us to die out here or make one." Shoving the map into the hands of the angry guards he walked back to the wagon, but was stopped short. "If she wanted us to make one then get to it. Strike the earth! You're still all prisoners!" And thus began the story of Mindonslaught

Dwarfs - Ustuth, Prison Guard
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
             Blackhammer, Prison Manager
              Iden, Prison Guard.
              Kadol, Prisoner       
               Cerol, Prison Cook/Prisoner. 
              Udil, Prisoner
              Dishmab   
Dwarf Slots - 1. VACANT 2. VACANT. 3. VACANT. 4. VACANT. 5. VACANT. 6. VACANT. 7. VACANT.

Equipment List - Forgot to take a screenshot of that before I embarked, but it's the necessities.

Animals - Two dogs, different genders. Two cats, different genders. One humped camel. Yak Cow.

I'm doing a community game where the fortress is basically just one big prison where we mine nonstop, hence the Mining Facility part. Pick a dorf, if you want to, and I'll name him after you.
I know this isn't too exciting, and my story telling isn't that good either. But I felt like doing a community game and I will. Even if one person chooses to be a dwarf.
Any dwarves that are not useful will be trapped in cells unless they are called upon.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:18:34 pm by Mr. Dwarfinton »

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Journal Entries
Journal of Blackhammer Vodcatten, Prisoner Manager
 After surveying the area for a bit I managed to figure out what I should tell the prisoners what to do, cut down some trees and start removal of the slopes. And so they did, I picked a perfect little area just north of where we stopped the wagon. Two entrances, soon to be one, and then I'll get them to start on the roof. But one thing is out of the ordinary. Being from a nice, quiet noble family I personally excuse myself of saying this, but holy shit. There are Water Buffalo everywhere.
Hopefully the inhabitants of these wilds won't bother us as we set to work. We should have plenty of wood, however. As I can't see three feet in front of me without getting an oak in my face. I'll write more later, I have to keep the damned prisoners doing their job.
I have ordered the prison guards to help us build the wall which will protect us. Until we get shelter everyone is treated equally. Unless they step out of line.

Recently I've noticed the prisoners have given each other nicknames, Dishmab's is Manorkissed. I wonder if they gave it to him as a joke about being in prison or to insult him.

Recently I've told the miners to start with the mining out of the jail cells, their rooms. I've created a rough drawing below of what I plan to have it look like. The room atop is the sheriff's office. Fitting he be able to watch over all the prisoners.

I've befriended the guards and cook, and I'm taking a liking to some of the prisoners. But one, one prisoner dares to insult me. That bastard, I am his leader. If he steps out of line when he becomes unnecessary I promise Armok himself that Udil will meet an end!

While surveying the cells I noticed that there was a lot of clay and sand about. I've ordered the prisoners to dig into the hillside, the hint of sand will allow us to find more. Once we do that we can get the pig tails and plump helmets planted.
Perhaps we'll grow plants by the end of the year.

After some of the water buffalo left our line of sight I sent the prison guards to kill one of them, we need meat if we're going to survive. And meat comes from wild animals.

The Sheriff is getting his office and equipment before me, I have more important things to do and he needs somewhere to keep all his supplies. Someone has to keep the peace around here, and it isn't going to be me. On another note, we have a carpenter's workshop up and running along with a still, kitchen and a mason's shop. I've ordered that a butcher's shop be made so we have somewhere to cut up the meat we hunt. Soon there should be a a drawbridge up, we just need some levers, pulleys and all that stuff. I still can't believe the damned Queen gave us directions to an empty spot. God dammit.

By Armok, this is going slow. By the time we finish the damned bridge the caravan we're expecting will have come and gone! As if we can even build the bridge, the miners are too "busy" to finish it. We've gotten a bed ready for one of them, now we need some cabinets and whatnot.
If the damned prisoners don't finish mining out my room in a month... Gah. They're an annoyance, hopefully the "loving" Queen will send us some more prisoners.

After running around for several days our damn guards finally got a duck for us to eat. A duck, be it small, can feed at least one of us. I wish the prisoners would hurry up with the pit they're digging under the drawbridge. We need to hollow out a room for a main stockpile.

From what I understand the Chief Of Security has gotten into a romance with a prisoner, she's out of line to do this. Sadly I can do nothing to stop her, as she's already annoyed by the condition of things. If I execute her "lover" then she'll probably go jump off a bridge, to make it worse the prisoner is one of our miners! We can't lose one of them.

God dammit! They've been training for days! They finally catch up with one of the damn things and what happens? She gets her damned hand ripped off! The stupidity of some of these people!
The Head Of Security chases a water buffalo bull and he gets up to it, what does he do? He swings at it's hoof. The thing is made of damn bone, and she swings at it! So the water buffalo stops, waits and grabs the poor dwarf in it's mouth, shakes it around and pop off comes the hand.

Praise the gods! More prisoners have arrived, naturally I would just throw them into an empty cell and keep them there but we need help with the building.
Perhaps I can punish some different prisoners later on in the year, maybe have them "trip" over a cliff's edge? Do the mountainhomes think so little of us that even when they send a bit of guardsmen they send those that know absolutely nothing of fighting? We got a recruit, the only thing he knows how to do is to learn. Just learn.

We're slowly dying, and they don't even know it. The prisoners are too busy "moving things into the stockpile," which is otherwise known as slacking off. Maybe if they made a rope, some blocks and a bucket we could finally make a well for us to drink from.
Food is no objection, drinks are. We just need enough time until the caravan comes. I pray to the gods that they'll bring seeds.

We've run out of drink, and we can't make any ropes. Or the prisoners won't make any ropes. Damn, they got us.
Let's hope the Mountainhomes find our dead bodies and take this place back.
Several of us are already dead, good bye.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 06:45:23 pm by Mr. Dwarfinton »

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey was wondering if i could take the prison manager, name him Blackhammer pleeeeeease. thx. will watch for more fun. possibly if you do allow me to be him could he later snap and become a hard and cruel prison warden. just a thought
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:14:26 pm by Stronghammer »

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey was wondering if i could take the prison manager, name him Blackhammer pleeeeeease. thx. will watch for more fun. possibly if you do allow me to be him could he later snap and become a hard and cruel prison warden. just a thought

Sure thing, I've been forgetting to update it but sure I'll name him Blackhammer.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's surprising, none of the migrants/prisoners have any real skills. Perhaps they are criminals after all.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

lol probably now we can put them to the grind

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They're dying because of the lack of resources.
I should have prepared more carefully, instead of just getting some things.
I'll probably reclaim it later, what a fail of me.  :(

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

no worries its a lesson to learn, that is what df is all about better luck next time.