Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 58

Author Topic: Nowhere To Run - A Futuristic Bounty Hunter RTD - Turn 51  (Read 86858 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nowhere To Run - A Futuristic Bounty Hunter RTD - Turn 42
« Reply #735 on: July 05, 2012, 03:52:11 am »

Akhain Gazhorn
Chat up the staff manning the lobby desks.

[5] - A quick database scan - there's nothing Akhain can do, but they seem to buy the result - and they're happy to talk. Seems like all of them have been aching to find someone to tell all their deepest suspicions and rumors about this bounty hunter. While he has to endure considerable amount of banal ranting, Akhain does fish out quite a lot of useful info.

First of all, Systar is not at the hotel right now. That they can't help you with, but they volunteer to let 'Hurid' into his room so he can wait for him. They do this because they've already done it once, for a full Guard team that laid an ambush for him. It doesn't sound like he came into the Republic's service voluntarily - that might be a problem given your cover identity. They also talk about his suspected wealth and all the gear that he keeps inside his room - but that's just typical bounty hunter and merc behavior.

His room could offer some additional intel on the man, but who knows how he would react to finding another Republican ambush in his room. Of course, Akhain could search his room and then leave before the man returned, but there's no telling how long that will take.

Spoiler: Talarion (click to show/hide)

Systar
I've got you now.  Right where I want you.

Move in for a blade kill on the two mobile gangers.  When they're dead, borrow a pistol from one, and execute the boss.  Loot his grenade.

[6] - Knowing they could very well be here all day, Systar decides to act. He flips out his Thermal Blade, thumbs the activator, and breaks off into a sprint, bounding across the benchrows before the gangers can react. [Dodge:4] His first blow slams through the hard wood in a burst of smoke and ashes, sending the big ganger rolling just before the blade would connect. Feeling his implant kick in, Systar keeps on, [6][Dodge:2] leaping off the top of the last bench and landing lightly behind the ganger. A simple wrist-flick is enough to plant the Blade [Damage:40] square under his heart. Systar wrenches up, and the man is dead.

[2] His companion backs away in horror, wavering hands raising his Snaplocks. [4][Dodge:2+2=4] He has no experience dual-wielding the Snaplocks, and Systar ducks both hasty shots. Before the man can switch to his long knife, [3][Dodge:4] Systar has closed in - but the masked ganger throws himself back in desperation, escaping just out of reach.

[4] It does really look like these were the very last gangers in the entire building. Systar's done a thorough job - hopefully the bullet marks all across this place can be chalked up to ganger damage.

Enemies
Spoiler: Ganger Boss (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Masked Ganger (click to show/hide)

---

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Gaosaron
"Shit. We don't have the firepower to take down that many." Gao thought for a moment. "I don't suppose we'd be lucky enough to have a self-destruct system in this place, would we? Because I think our best bet is to activate that and get the hell out."

[4] - The man grins. 'I like your thinking, friend, but that sort of thing only exists in bad fiction. We could, I don't know, set the reactor core on fire, but it's a moot point - the boss would never allow us to destroy the facility.'

'Then it's just...' Tarur starts, but stops. He raises his shotgun. 'I saw something, over by the door. What's that sound?'

[4] Gao listens, attempting to pick out the sound over the background hum of machinery. It does seem familiar - but before he connects it, the source bounces happily into the hallway.

'It's... the drone? I was wondering where it had gone off to,' Ratrik says, tentatively lowering his weapon.

The damaged info- and guide-drone approaches slowly, its engine croaking painfully. Its flight path is uneven and its grav generators seem to be on the verge of failing, the bot constantly bobbing up and down to avoid crashing. The pair stares at it for a moment, wary,

'Err... I don't think...' the man behind them starts, but then a calm, pleasant male voice fills the room, the drone fully lighting up.

'I could not help but to overhear,' the voice says. I think I may be able to help.

'It's the damned AI!' the survivor shouts, taking an angry step forward. Ratrik raises his weapon again.

'It is the truth, I will not deny it. However, I never intended any of this. I have been shackled to protect sentient lives - I was simply here to delay production of your new Sikhet line. I have a proposition for you. Will you hear me out?'

Allies

Spoiler: Tarur Ratrik (click to show/hide)

---

Spoiler: SeriousConcentrate (click to show/hide)

Subject 971 and Kaviv Otoli
>Shoot the headband ganger before getting back in cover, then follow 971's lead!
971 nodded.

"Break left, I'll break right. Give him two targets, right?" he said, skittering to one side.

Action: Fire off shots at the MG ganger! Get Kaviv to break to the left while I break right, so we can't both be suppressed at the same time.

[5-2=3] - Kaviv peers quickly out of cover and aims a hasty shot at the prone headband ganger, [Dodge:1] who's in no position to get clear. The young hunter's freshly-reloaded Widowmaker speaks and [Damage:35+12=47] a blossom of red erupts from the back of his skull. Kaviv has no time and no wish to enjoy the view and drops back down just before 971 orders him to move.

[5-2=3] The duo split off, Kaviv heading down the left side of the walkways and 971 the right. As expected, the Golgo ganger can't keep fire on both of them and settles on [2] Kaviv, perhaps seeing him as a bigger threat. [5][Dodge:6+1=6] He unleashes another volley that forces him to keep his head down, though the actual shots all pass by without hitting anywhere near him. [4-2=2] The hunter has no chance to return fire.

[1] The other ganger behind the machinery seems content with letting the Golgo do all the talking, thinking his own Widowmaker less useful. [3] It doesn't occur to him to use his grenade yet either, thankfully, though making it land on the walkway and not over or under it might be a bit tricky in any case. [1] The bounty hunters have no time to focus on him either.

[4] 971, safely away from the gunner's sights, stands up over the protective railing and lets loose an Aurora boom that [Dodge:6-1=5] only finds metal, ricocheting off into the distant wall. [4] With fire coming that near, the Golgo gunner swings around and [Dodge:1+1=2] sends another roaring burst towards 971, who's luck still isn't getting better. His battered form is once again cut apart by the heavy bullets, [Damage:23] bringing him heavily down against the walkway floor. The gunner laughs, in the background, boasting and calling out to the hunters.

Enemies

Spoiler: Hiding Ganger (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: MG Ganger (click to show/hide)

---

Spoiler: Dwarmin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Yoink (click to show/hide)

Barauc
Make some dosh at the fighting pits.

[5] - With nothing better to do, Barauc heads for the brightly-lit fighting pit. Out here, he's just begging to be ambushed.

He moves quickly, feeling eyes on him from side alleys and makeshift buildings. The gaudily-decorated bar is crowded with tired-eyed workers and the bottom-dwellers of the Industrial District, but Barauc feels much more safe with people. Laughter, song and even just normal human speech fill his ears in this oasis in the desolation of the area. He passes conmen and peddlers of various less-than-legal goods and experiences. A few of them look like they might have even come from the more civilized portions of the city. There are much fewer gang symbols here, though the Industrial District as a whole is rife with them.

[4] He rises the steps to the fighting pit, hearing enthuastic shouting and a nasty metal-on-flesh ripping sound from inside. The door guards keep their eyes on him.

'You here to bet, or fight?' the first one asks. Your visor can tell practically nothing about them, somewhat startling. The people here have probably fallen off the databases generations ago.

Spoiler: Riccto (click to show/hide)

Loria
Loria looked over at the PI. "No, they left the apartment a while back. I thought I might find some worthwhile information inside but their bodyguard stayed behind and got the drop on me." She laughed a little self deprecating laugh. "I didn't even kill him. The idiot managed to do that all on his own. Ouch! Agh, this hurts something fierce." She grabbed some painkillers from one of her first aid kits and chomped them down. "So where are we headed?"

'He's dead? Damnit,' the PI says. He sighs. 'I guess it doesn't matter. God, I hate this town. We'll have to move fast, though. If they find out what happened, they'll get suspicious. I hope you atleast got him out of the apartment? Yeah, thought not.'

[4] He continues after a while, helping you stay upright while you administer one of your kits. 'We're headed to Financial. I followed my marks to... well, it doesn't matter. In any case, there's a big crime boss we oughta chat up by the name of 'Tresun' - he's organizing the whole thing for some off-worlder. Now, we can do this several ways,' he says.

'What I'd like to do is wait until night-time and break into his offices. Look around for anything useful, like the location of his warehouse, the name of this off-worlder, things like that. Now, he's rich and powerful and his security might be tough, but I'm sure we'll manage.'

'Then, we could try to talk our way in. We could block database access by jammers, claim we want to protect our privacy or something. It's the latest thing with the super-rich. I'd try to steer the conversation the right way and with luck, we'll get an invitation to the next time he's showcasing these implants. Everybody involved in this nasty web of secrets would be bound to be there.'

'Or,' he sighs, 'I suspect you might just wanna go in guns blazing and somehow force him to tell us everything. Of course, I wouldn't let you do that and ruin the whole case, but I know your kind.'

'Unless you have some great idea I haven't considered?'

---

Spoiler: Theodolus (click to show/hide)

---

I actually shouted 'OH COME ON!' aloud when Dwarmin once again failed a dodge roll against a HMG. That's no longer just bad luck - I think the RNG holds a grudge.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
Re: Nowhere To Run - A Futuristic Bounty Hunter RTD - Turn 43
« Reply #736 on: July 05, 2012, 04:44:11 am »

Akhain thanks the staff, accepting the offer to be allowed in his room. Once in the room, he will search around a bit, to see what he can find, before settling down on a chair, couch or other piece of furniture in closest view of the door, moving the furniture a bit if neccesary so that he will see and be seen the moment the door opens, keeping his snaplock close at hand, but not held.
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: July 05, 2012, 07:40:47 am »

"Boy, you can't escape me."

Stab the last ganger, borrow his pistol to execute the boss, loot his grenade, GTFO and collect payment.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: July 05, 2012, 09:21:11 am »

"Oh gods!" Kaviv's eyes widened with horror as his mind processed what he'd just done.
'That man was no threat, not anymore... That was unnecessary, why did I--'
"Oh gods!" Kaviv repeated, glancing over as 971 went down again. How many times had he been shot in the past few minutes? Kaviv hadn't exactly been keeping count, but it seemed like a lot. Who knows whether he'd be getting up this time... Kaviv looked back out over the room. 'That one with the machine gun, he's standing in the corner...'
He banished the shock from his mind and quickly fished out another grenade, bringing it to his lips briefly for luck, before yanking out the pin as methodically as if he were folding a kebab and lobbed it over into the corner from which the golgo bullets were spraying.
"Was that extra chili sauce, you bastard?" Kaviv muttered to himself as he hunkered down again, continuing along the walkway's slim cover with his head down, trying to get in shotgun-range of an enemy.

>Chuck a grenade at the golgo ganger, hopefully buying 971 some time if nothing else, then keep scurrying along the walkway.

((I figure hope that since the guy's standing in the corner, he'll be easier to get with the grenade.
Also, I meant to shoot the other guy, not the defenseless one screaming for help. Whoops.))
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 09:25:11 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: July 05, 2012, 09:51:26 am »

Haha, well, you're just becoming more of a professional. Soon you'll slaughter puppies just to get your way.

He's at the corner of an intersection in the paths going through the factory floor (with big machines forming 'walls'), so there's no penalty to his dodge or anything. But I'm sure you'll get him - you're not 971, after all.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: July 05, 2012, 12:57:58 pm »

971 felt-yet again-the tearing of bullets passing through his flesh and bone.

But it didn't hurt anymore, which was pretty odd.

He flashbacked...

"WAKE UP 971." The control voice booms.

"Testing is not yet over. We require you to continue." The voice says, falling into a talkative matter. It's mocking in it's false concern over him.

Where was he?

Oh yes. They didn't tell him what this planets name was, but he knew enough of the meaning of the word 'Hell' to think this was pretty close. Another day. Another test. They dropped him here with nothing but his explosive collar on. Yes, he could see the hover cams safely in the air above him. Measuring his reaction time, his injuries, his emotions. They watched and made notes, as he struggled for life.

He looked around, eyes still blurry. He was in some sort of nest. That bird-thing that had snatched him in it's talons hadn't deigned to consume him on the spot, but it hadn't killed or injured him. He guessed the creature liked it's food live and wriggling. He heard it now, pinwheeling on blood red, front swept scaly wings back down to the nest...it's massive triangular beak snaps open and closed with utter finality.

Boxes of tiny green eyes on it's face, that seem to follow no natural order, orient on him. He only sees hunger there-no cruelty, just need-and he wonders if it might not be better to lay down and let it take him. A purer death that what they'll give him. To deny the Scientists their sport, it's almost worth it...

...back in the real world, 971 struggles back up, gritting his teeth.

He didn't let that predator eat him then. He wouldn't let this one eat him either, without a fight.

Action: Shoot dat bastard with the MG, or the hiding ganger if he's already dead.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: July 05, 2012, 01:31:13 pm »

Loria looked at the PI, mentally rolling her eyes at his childish jab at her. "Break in to his office at night, huh? Yeah, that didn't work out so well for me last time." She gestured at her wounds. "Let's go with plan B and try to talk our way through it. But first, I really need to get patched up properly." Get myself back up to tip-top operating condition and then roll with plan B.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: July 05, 2012, 02:28:38 pm »

Gao waved both of them to lower their guns for the moment. "It couldn't hurt to just listen to it. If it's plan sucks we'll think of a different one."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: July 05, 2012, 03:58:03 pm »

He wheezed through his respirator "Fight."
Raggle Fraggle

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: July 19, 2012, 05:33:49 am »

Bumping for details on the update, if'n you please Digi ^^
Fate/Stay Night: OOC thread - Serious talk about the canon characters' bisexuality, gravity rape, Noble Phantasm balance, Tiruin's character level of dumbness versus naivete, how sick and tainted my mind is, linguistics and much more.

What more do you need?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: July 19, 2012, 05:48:23 am »

Bumping for details on the update, if'n you please Digi ^^

I'll try to update today. Actually, I tried to update ages ago, but Steam Summer Sales, they are the devil.

Talarion

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold as ice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: July 19, 2012, 07:26:03 am »

Ah yes, I think I've lost over $100 to that darned sale.

But yeah, take your time, was just wondering ^^

What more do you need?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: July 19, 2012, 11:46:31 am »

Akhain Gazhorn
Akhain thanks the staff, accepting the offer to be allowed in his room. Once in the room, he will search around a bit, to see what he can find, before settling down on a chair, couch or other piece of furniture in closest view of the door, moving the furniture a bit if neccesary so that he will see and be seen the moment the door opens, keeping his snaplock close at hand, but not held.

[3] - The staff scan and add Gazhorn into their system, granting him access to the other hunter's room. He thanks them and heads up.

The door slides open at the hunter's touch, recognizing him as having clearance. He steps into a cluttered hotel room, some furniture still toppled over and their innards spilled to the floor, from, he suspects, the Republic visit. Looking around, Akhain discovers an impressive array of weapons and gear, most safely behind containers he can't get open. [5] Systar's computer-variant is locked, but not well enough for Akhain's rudimentary hacking skills to bypass.

The hunter's messages tell you he's accepted several jobs lately. The first is marked as successful, but the details have been deleted - the same's true for most of them. One is still open, apparently the latest. He seems to have left for an old tech-head church out in the city. Akhain guesses he's still there. [6] Next, Akhain checks his business in the black market - it appears he's recently requested intel on Boka... and, behind decoys and an encryption, - Akhain reads back to make sure he's not seeing things - the Consul, Mona yl Vsiri, especially as to her security detail.

The bounty hunter makes a mental note to consider the implications of this later on, but decides to copy the responses just in case. It is something his new employers could be interested in.

There's not much else. He goes through expenses, the latest being from an interstellar comms station on the starport. Finding nothing else interesting, Akhain settles into a chair by the door, dropping his arm to his pistol and relaxing. Waiting is nothing new to him.

Spoiler: Talarion (click to show/hide)

Systar
"Boy, you can't escape me."

Stab the last ganger, borrow his pistol to execute the boss, loot his grenade, GTFO and collect payment.

[2] - Systar moves to finish off the last ganger. This leaps to his feet, avoiding his first blow, [5] but his second [Dodge:1] hits home and [Damage:30+12=42] spills his guts. The bounty hunter pauses for breath, picks up the ganger's fallen pistol and [4] unloads it into the ganger boss until he's sure the man is dead. Finished, Akhain takes the bosses' explosive, sits down and calls in the priest. He does a quick sweep of the church to make sure he didn't miss anyone, but it seems the entire gang, or atleast those of it here, are dead.

[4] He takes his time to arrive - though it's somewhat surprising he comes into a neighbourhood like this anyhow - but at last Systar sees him approaching. He meets him half-way up the stairs and explains how the gangers had thrashed up the place already. [1] Systar's excepting some trouble convincing him, but not what happens next. The priest, seeing the inside of his holy place, seems to go red, a shrill cry erupting from his throat. For the next ten minutes, Systar is dragged along to every room and shouted at with all the man's might. [6-2=4] Eventually, Systar brings the topic back to payment. He's not all too surprised when the man drops off 3000¤ from the reward. Systar swallows his pride, too tired to continue arguing, and takes his 7000¤.

[4] Systar heads back to his hotel. Entering the lobby, he feels the eyes of the staff on him once again. When he looks their way, they quickly look away. He sighs. If the Republic is here for another ambush... but then his blood goes cold. They'd have little reason for another visit if they hadn't found out about the Sikhet job. And if they've found out about the Sikhet job, Systar doubts another mission-for-amnesty is possible.

---

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)

Gaosaron
Gao waved both of them to lower their guns for the moment. "It couldn't hurt to just listen to it. If it's plan sucks we'll think of a different one."

[2] - Ratrik says nothing, but the survivor behind the pair curses and manifests a Widowmaker variant from somewhere. He points it squarely at the bot.

'One wrong move, and it's scrap,' he snarls.

'Thank you. I understand your concern. I would not trust me in your position,' the AI says. 'Here is the plan. I still retain some rudimentary control over these uplifted creatures you speak of. Unfortunately, they have succeeded in locking me out of our vessel's systems and thus prevented me from projecting my commands to the rest of the facility. If you removed their crude and damaging programming on the labship I am housed in, I could force a kill-switch in their brains to activate and save the station.'

The man behind the hunters starts to object, but the AI's voice drowns him out.

'I am aware this plan requires trust in me you have no reason to have. However, my intentions are pure - they have taken over the reactor chambers and are close to breaching the core. If they are not stopped, they may cause an overload that will wipe this entire station out in a matter of seconds. We will all suffer the same fate then.'

[3] Ratrik leans in; 'I don't know. Are AIs big on lying, in your experience? The one on Gual did help us in the end...'

Gao isn't sure what to say to that. His memories of the job on Gual, spent mostly in the grips of a local fever, are spotty at best.

Allies

Spoiler: Tarur Ratrik (click to show/hide)

---

Spoiler: SeriousConcentrate (click to show/hide)

Subject 971 and Kaviv Otoli
"Oh gods!" Kaviv's eyes widened with horror as his mind processed what he'd just done.
'That man was no threat, not anymore... That was unnecessary, why did I--'
"Oh gods!" Kaviv repeated, glancing over as 971 went down again. How many times had he been shot in the past few minutes? Kaviv hadn't exactly been keeping count, but it seemed like a lot. Who knows whether he'd be getting up this time... Kaviv looked back out over the room. 'That one with the machine gun, he's standing in the corner...'
He banished the shock from his mind and quickly fished out another grenade, bringing it to his lips briefly for luck, before yanking out the pin as methodically as if he were folding a kebab and lobbed it over into the corner from which the golgo bullets were spraying.
"Was that extra chili sauce, you bastard?" Kaviv muttered to himself as he hunkered down again, continuing along the walkway's slim cover with his head down, trying to get in shotgun-range of an enemy.

>Chuck a grenade at the golgo ganger, hopefully buying 971 some time if nothing else, then keep scurrying along the walkway.
...back in the real world, 971 struggles back up, gritting his teeth.

He didn't let that predator eat him then. He wouldn't let this one eat him either, without a fight.

Action: Shoot dat bastard with the MG, or the hiding ganger if he's already dead.

[5] - Screaming a witty one-liner, Kaviv flings one of his remaining four grenades into the corner where the Golgo gunner is firing, the explosive canister rolling right [Dodge:3] past him - but not enough to let him out of its area of effect. The detonation rings through metal, shaking the walkways, [Damage:72-24=48] and sending the ganger flying with a roar of pain. Carried up by the shockwave, he's let go as suddenly as he was picked up, and smashes down into the machines hard enough for his bones to audibly crack. With a final groan, his mangled body falls down to the floor, the heavy fire ceasing at last.

[3] To his side, 971 pushes his battered body up once more, experimental chemicals and years of experience keeping him awake and alert. [Dodge:3+1-1=3] His quick shot, auto-corrected by the targeting mod, slams into the ganger's shoulder and [Damage:27-11=16] makes it disappear in an explosion of gore and bone. The ganger, his cover proving useless, collapses screaming. After a few moments, that ceases as well.

[3] The pair catch their breath, Kaviv crawling to 971 to make sure he's not dying anytime soon. With no-one fighting, silence falls upon the room - [4] until it's broken by a shout of; 'Hello? Is anyone still alive up there? Thanks for saving our asses, but we've kinda got people here who need medical attention. Hello?'

[3] 971 is about to answer, but pauses. The voice sounds very familiar, almost like...

Despite his wounds, the bounty hunter drags himself upright and motions Kaviv to follow. Gritting his teeth, 971 begins making his way down the stairs and into the maze of machinery. He keeps his wits about and weapon ready as he returns the shout and begins to move towards it. The hunters move past the bodies of their foes and soon turn around a corner to come face-to-face with another group. Kaviv takes in five aliens, one dead, the others wounded save one. They wear the same ganger clothes as the other Gutter Hounds.

971 only sees one of them, though. Looking as youthful as the day he last saw him storming the gates of Fort Tsudhan with a handful of high explosives of his own making, Ink greets him with an expression of surprise, then a huge grin.

'971? What the hell are you doing here? If I'd known it was you shooting up the place instead of the cops, I'd have been up there in no time!'

---

Spoiler: Dwarmin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Yoink (click to show/hide)

Barauc
He wheezed through his respirator "Fight."

[6] - 'Huh. Alright, fight it is,' the guard says. He parts way to let you pass. 'Head downstairs and find a trainer called Musa. He'll get you started.'

Barauc moves in, descending the stairs down into a long, warmly-lit room. Fighters of various species mill about, clad in loose fatigues and other light clothes. At the far wall, several bodies are being carried in. As soon as he hits the bottom of the stairs, a muscled human comes up to him.

'Betting's upstairs,' he grunts. Barauc tells him he's here to fight, prompting a wide-eyed stare. He looks over your expensive gear and armor and shrugs.

'Alright. Musa, we've got a fighter!'

The man called over - a thick-set horned alien with a bulk full of scars - doesn't seem to question this, to his credit. He guides Barauc to the side.

'I'm guessing you haven't fought down here before? There's not much to rules. No weapons allowed, no armor like your shit - don't worry, we'll keep them locked up. You get paid if you win. Fights are to the death, unless a sponsor steps in. In that case, back the fuck off. We're not going to protect you if you piss off the wrong man. That's about it. Any questions?'

Spoiler: Riccto (click to show/hide)

Loria
Loria looked at the PI, mentally rolling her eyes at his childish jab at her. "Break in to his office at night, huh? Yeah, that didn't work out so well for me last time." She gestured at her wounds. "Let's go with plan B and try to talk our way through it. But first, I really need to get patched up properly." Get myself back up to tip-top operating condition and then roll with plan B.

[4] - 'Agreed,' Teodosio says. 'We need to dress up, prepare, iron out the details, all that, in any case. I know people who do this sort of thing.'

He guides the bounty hunter away from the street. In a few minutes, they're in a cab speeding towards the PI's apartment. Loria falls asleep during the ride, too weak from her wounds to focus on the PI's planning. The rest of the journey passes in a blur, as does her experimenting with Teodosio's medical cabinet before laying down on a couch to sleep.

The next morning, Loria wakes up feeling mostly alright. Her wounds are gone or hidden away, and her mind is much clearer. [6] Laid out on the table is a bizarre-looking multi-coloured dress - it seems to move and shift as she looks at it, rather unnervingly - as well as a note from Teodosio. It seems like he wants Loria to wear that - and a curious-looking, apparently organic contraption on her head. He claims it's so they can pass as the ultra-rich.

---

Spoiler: Theodolus (click to show/hide)

---

Whee, I got to go through a lot of old updates for Akhain's search results. There's probably things I didn't mention, but I guess even with a 6 Akhain doesn't get to find out EVERYTHING. Related, I'm sure Systar received intel on the Consul's security. I can even find the post in which he buys it, but I can't seem to find the post in which he actually reads it. Oh well. I'm sure Systar still remembers everything.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Nowhere To Run - A Futuristic Bounty Hunter RTD - Turn 44
« Reply #748 on: July 19, 2012, 12:02:33 pm »

I bought the packet (starting the download), then checked the next mission and my gear, then headed out.  I haven't actually read it yet.

Systar sighed.  This was simply not his day.  There was way too much valuable gear in his room to simply skip town, and he needed his computer to get the details on the Boka mission.  He had spent a fortune on that ID- he wasn't about to throw it away.  Regardless, he wasn't about to walk into a deathtrap, either.  He'd just have to find another way in.

Head back outside the hotel and attempt to look in the window of his hotel room.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nowhere To Run - A Futuristic Bounty Hunter RTD - Turn 44
« Reply #749 on: July 19, 2012, 12:09:08 pm »

Kaviv, adrenaline still pumping through his system as he covered these strangers with his widowmaker, opened his mouth to speak.
"Uh..." He thought better of it, shutting up and lowering the gun, glancing aside at 971 quizzically.
'Looks like he knows these guys. What someone like 971 was doing with a bunch of gangers, though, well... Can only wait to find out. Gods, that was a battle? I think I might have missed the "glory" part they always go on about...'

With no immediate danger as far as he could see, Kaviv looked down at himself, letting the shotgun drop to his sides and raising his hands. He stared at them for a long while, remembering the long, drawn-out scream of that ganger with the headband, lying there so helpless... A scream abruptly silenced as his shotgun boomed.
'Did I really do that? That wasn't very-' He quickly shook himself out of his reverie, taking a ready grip on the widowmaker (cold, remorseless piece of metal that is was, the feel of its grip was still somewhat comforting) again and forcing himself to focus on what was going on. He simply ignored his wounds for now. If 971 wasn't breaking down in agony from what he'd been through, Kaviv sure as hell wasn't about to himself.
'Right. Okay. So. I wonder how 971 will want to handle this? They're criminals, right, so we should be turning them in to the authorities? He knows them, though.
I guess we'll just wait and see.'

>Wait and see how 971 interacts with these gangers. Watch them closely for any sudden movements and such.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 58