Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spray Traps?  (Read 2333 times)

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
Spray Traps?
« on: June 14, 2011, 09:13:59 am »

What I'd like to see, especially with the syndromes coming in, is a trap that's loaded with a barrel of Extract (chosen when you build the trap - it'll only reload with a barrel of the same extract) that sprays the extract when triggered.

Particularly good is if this were set up as a pressure plate rather than a standard trap, allowing the player to, for example, use Gnomeblight only against gnomes.  Also nice is if a creature was coated in an Injected-only extract, then received piercing damage, the syndrome would still take effect (which I kinda don't think is the case right now).
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Kicior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spray Traps?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 09:45:47 am »

What I'd like to see is a trap that's loaded with a barrel of MAGMA that sprays the MAGMA when triggered.
Fix'd
and slippedy sloppidy doo everything is made of fuck

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 10:12:16 am »

Can't say much more than I agree with the first one.

The second one however, could maybe be done with open wounds instead of piercing attacks? It makes a bit more sense to me, at least.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 11:28:18 am »

If this was ever added I'd love to see acid come alongside it.

With the gelatinous cube from genesis mod, I could see (when it's fixed) a gelatinous cube extract being made and used.

To clarify what the effects of gelatinous cube are; rot, and then you die, first you receive minor rotting, slowly you start to degrade rapidly (your flesh basically rots off) then you being paralysed after losing all your tissues and bleed out, then dissolve, as you can tell it'd be excellent in a spray trap.
Hello.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 02:59:06 am »

This sounds fun, but is a spray really necessary or appropriate? Couldn't the trap just dump the whole barrel over their head?

Also if morale ever gets added I'd like to be able to dump elf blood on elves  :D. And dumping rum on the goblins before the magma should be lots of !!Fun!!
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 09:00:07 am »

This sounds fun, but is a spray really necessary or appropriate? Couldn't the trap just dump the whole barrel over their head?
Some fluids would work best in barrels, like magma and tar. Others, like forgotten beast extracts that paralyze and necrotize on touch, could definitely use a spraying system to reduce the amount needed to have a good chance of hitting the target.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 11:41:39 pm »

I like the spray trap concept.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 01:23:51 am »

I can't imagine how you do a sprey trap with a barrel unless your dumping it. Though I guess a Pot would work just as well for that (basically just a weapon trap that uses a pot of poison that will shatter on impact.

Though I'd think Sprey traps proper would work as follows:

You would fill a Waterskin and then set a loadstone or even millstone to press upon it spreying its content.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 07:26:07 am »

Another way to use the stuff would be to create a cauldron of the liquid like the burning oil used in sieges. Place the cauldron, have a dwarf dump it via person or lever.

Imagine if there was a sticky hardening substance that would trap below enemies like bugs in sap.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 07:31:19 am »

Another way to use the stuff would be to create a cauldron of the liquid like the burning oil used in sieges. Place the cauldron, have a dwarf dump it via person or lever.

Imagine if there was a sticky hardening substance that would trap below enemies like bugs in sap.
A liquid which forms into adhesive when exposed to air?

Could be interesting to have this kind of liquid implemented.
Hello.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 12:08:20 pm »

A liquid which forms into adhesive when exposed to air?

Could be interesting to have this kind of liquid implemented.
Think of where we'd have to get it.. this would definitely be !!*Fun*!!

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 02:05:37 pm »

One option might be to make it a sort of magma workshop - requiring the same "Uncovered magma must be on the floor below" but allowing a veritable geyser of nastiness when triggered.
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

nitus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 02:57:13 pm »

What I'd like to see is a trap that's loaded with a barrel of MONKEYS that sprays the MONKEYS when triggered.

Seriously, though, barrel traps would be a great addition to the game. Whether it's a barrel of acid, a barrel of boiling oil, of rocks, flaming pitch, or even monkeys. It's a trap often seen in similar types of fortress defense scenarios in games, not to mention real world history.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 03:09:37 pm »

A spray trap sounds fantastic.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2011, 10:20:20 pm »

Your booze stockpiles would be safe from the threat of Gnomes.
Just put gnomeblight in a spray trap, hook up a gnome activated pressure plate, and watch them turn into sludge.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.
Pages: [1] 2