Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Time to Play Whackamole Spammers  (Read 1319 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Time to Play Whackamole Spammers
« on: June 14, 2011, 02:59:30 am »

Keep an eye out for spammers folks, I've reported two first-time posters with advertisement posts in the last 30 minutes or so.  It's not a pattern yet really, but if they know they are just going to get smeared off the forums quickly, it won't be worth their time to make the new accounts every 10 minutes.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: Time to Play Whackamole Spammers
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 03:03:30 am »

Keep an eye out for spammers folks, I've reported two first-time posters with advertisement posts in the last 30 minutes or so.  It's not a pattern yet really, but if they know they are just going to get smeared off the forums quickly, it won't be worth their time to make the new accounts every 10 minutes.
*Bam!*

I got a spammer, mom! I got one!

Oh ho, sick burns abound, my only regret is that most spammers don't even cognate the righteous flames I blast at their flabby flanks.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:15:41 am by Heliman »

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Free games apendix foetus wow gold
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 03:19:11 am »

I'll look around for some spambots.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 03:22:27 am »

Hit report post define spamming in the info and move on without batting an eyelid or posting at them in any way, which would actually increase page hits and serve the spambot owner better.
Hello.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 03:24:58 am »

Hit report post define spamming in the info and move on without batting an eyelid or posting at them in any way, which would actually increase page hits and serve the spambot owner better.

Yup, thats why I made a new thread rather than adding to the spam threads.
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 03:27:55 am »

So. You made a thread about spam so that you did not add to spam threads?

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 03:32:53 am »

I am amused, but I wanted to be kinda saddened, can I be both?
Hello.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 03:34:36 am »

I find the acceptable middle ground between the two is rage.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 03:47:14 am »

Yes.

I made a thread about the fact that there are currently active spamming efforts happening, so people might look a bit more carefully when they "Show unread posts since last visit"

I in fact did not post in their threads to help them advertise / phish / whatever, so you are 100% correct.

*hands Criptfeind a cookie*

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 03:49:56 am »

bay12 always always has spammers.

The fact that two started at the same time is not cause for alarm. At all.

I mean, just look at the fricken list of members on bay12. Only like 1/50 of them are not addbots.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 03:54:40 am »

I mean, just look at the fricken list of members on bay12. Only like 1/50 of them are not addbots.

I refuse to believe you. I'd much rather believe that 49/50 of the Bay12 members are young, highly educated women named Cindy or Michelle.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 03:59:06 am »

No way man, everyone knows that they are the ghosts of the Dwarven nobles we have murdered. Lurking. Watching.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 03:59:49 am »

I don't doubt at all that there are some spammers here regularly.  It's a big community and active, so it's going to attract the botom feeders.  However after several months of reasonable activity here on the forums, these were the first two I've actually noticed - and they occurred a few minutes apart.  On the off chance that it was an indication of heavy incoming spam being targeted at this forum I felt it was worth a post with a semihumorous name to draw attention to spamming activity.

*shrug*

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 04:01:25 am »

No way man, everyone knows that they are the ghosts of the Dwarven nobles we have murdered. Lurking. Watching.

And when one has a strange mood they make legendary artefact threads adorned with hanging opinions and encircled with bands of signature.
Hello.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 04:01:41 am »

Out of the last thirty people who joined only five do not have adds in their sigs.

So I dunno, since in all likelihood they will never make a single post, I guess we will never know.

As a aside, we have like a spam bot a day around here. Nothing to get your underwear in a twist about it.
Pages: [1] 2