Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: "You Can't Discuss Religion, That's Naughty (But Only If You're Athiest)"  (Read 24647 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Meh.  As I said, STDs, blah blah blah blah blah.

The studies are controversial at that point. Some even show that circumcision does benefit certain kinds of diseases.
*shrug*
This will hardly become breaking point of this discussion.

Might provide links for it tomorrow.
Also, I'll look, if I can find European studies on this topic. Since we don't have this controversy here, maybe they are less biased.

On the other hand, phimosis can apparently often be cured by changing the way one masturbates, which is cool, I guess.

Didn't work that well for the two people I know, who actually had it. My brother needed a little surgical cut and a good friend had to be circumcised.
That condition is the only reason why people get circumcised, besides religious purposes, here.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:44:11 pm by Mindmaker »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

My intent there was to point out how there are common parenting decisions with far more negative consequences that people could rage about, if that's what they want to do, and noting that the same motivation that drives people to oppose circumcision often also drives people to oppose something healthy and natural.  I was not trying to say that people here are necessarily opposed to breastfeeding because they're opposed to circumcision.  I was trying to describe why the motivation that I believe is responsible for making an issue out of this is silly.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

That's... pretty much the definition of strawmanning.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile

A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.
Nope. It's might be some other fallacy, but I'll not stand for more of the rampant misuse of strawman. Use it right, or not at all.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And yet this is another issue where personal revulsion, similar to that for circumcision, has resulted in people seeking to ban the practice of breastfeeding from public or even encouraging its abandonment entirely.
This is a clear misrepresentation of the opponent's position.  "You oppose circumcision because it revolts you".  It then uses this misrepresentation to link those who do not circumcise their children to those who do not breastfeed their children, which is a completely separate issue.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I'm criticising the motivation, which I find to be one that results in misguided behavior, and which I honestly believe to be the motivation here.

I know this will be vehemently denied and I can't prove it, but I think the common thought process here is one of initial revulsion and then grasping for justification to oppose that which is found revulsive.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:58:08 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you have any evidence do back up that that's the motivation, and that everyone on this thread who has said that they would prefer not to circumsize their children is lying?

Because if not, and you're allowed to arbitrarily assign a motive to the opposing side and then use that to connect them to an unrelated issue, you could just as easily say

It's... really not a fair way to argue at all, as well as being extremely offensive.

EDIT: In response to your edit:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:04:53 pm by Leafsnail »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

Do you have any evidence do back up that that's the motivation

I said I couldn't prove it.  I can't pick the thoughts out of people's heads and present them to others as material proof.  It's a personal assessment based on experience arguing parenting issues and observation of hyperbolic language, which points to an emotional more than logical investment.

and that everyone on this thread who has said that they would prefer not to circumsize their children is lying?

I don't get how I have said this.

and then use that to connect them to an unrelated issue

Not connecting to an unrelated issue in the sense that you are accusing, just criticising the motivation, where I don't believe I committed any fallacy by pointing out how when logical assessment of a parenting practice could lead to revulsion and result in criticism directed in a more constructive direction but where revulsion takes the lead, can result in criticism that is mislead and damaging.

It's... really not a fair way to argue at all, as well as being extremely offensive.

And it's not offensive to be accused of making a decision that is judged morally repugnant?  Or to be told that my parents, who raised me quite well, also mutilated me?  If others are offended by my perspective on their criticism, then I say it's fair game.

Edit:

And as for justifying opposition to the practice by saying it tramples on individual rights, then I would support your position when a sizeable portion of subjects to this practice express the feeling that their rights were trampled on.  So far I am aware of one individual who feels as such, and I would actually support that his parents pay for the procedure to reverse the operation if that's what he wants.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 04:19:56 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I said I couldn't prove it.  I can't pick the thoughts out of people's heads and present them to others as material proof.  It's a personal assessment based on experience arguing parenting issues and observation of hyperbolic language, which points to an emotional more than logical investment.
Even if I assume that your judgement on the people you've talked to in the past is correct (and as you say, there's no evidence of this) you're unfairly generalising this to all (or at least the majority of) your opponents.  The fact that some people support proposition X for the wrong reasons does not mean that all people who support proposition X do so for the wrong reasons, or that proposition X is bad.

I don't get how I have said this.
People in this thread have provided plenty of other reasons that they would not want their child circumsized.  You are saying that, actually, no, they are just lying to cover up their repulsion.  I will say it - my reasons for not wanting my children (and indeed myself) circumsized has nothing to do with revulsion.  If you want to apply this motive to me, you are accusing me of lying.

Not connecting to an unrelated issue in the sense that you are accusing, just criticising the motivation, where I don't believe I committed any fallacy by pointing out how when logical assessment of a parenting practice could lead to revulsion and result in criticism directed in a more constructive direction but where revulsion takes the lead, can result in criticism that is mislead and damaging.
Criticising the motivation which you've arbitrarily linked to your opponents.  I'm not even convinced it actually applies fully in the breastfeeding case (there are a variety of other reasons why mothers sometimes don't or cannot breastfeed their children).

And it's not offensive to be accused of making a decision that is judged morally repugnant?  Or to be told that my parents, who raised me quite well, also mutilated me?  If others are offended by my perspective on their criticism, then I say it's fair game.
Assessing an act you believe to be correct to not be correct isn't necessarily an attack on your position.

I think that there is not enough medical evidence to justify surgical intervention in the form of circumcision.  I presume that you have arrived at the opposite position via a similar costs-benefit analysis, but with the opposite result, and I will take your position at face value and respect that.  I will not try to attach some other motivation to you in order to belittle and discredit you, but you appear to be attaching an illogical motivation to me.  I may argue about the medical evidence relating to circumcision and whether it's justified, but I won't accuse you of secretly being a prude who oppresses his children.

I won't pretend that there aren't people who make their decision illogically, or people that will accuse you of lying about your motivation, but I don't think that's any reason to lower yourself to their level.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

I think that there is not enough medical evidence to justify surgical intervention in the form of circumcision.  I presume that you have arrived at the opposite position via a similar costs-benefit analysis, but with the opposite result.

My position isn't anything terribly deep.  I saw potential for small benefits and zero negatives.  If those benefits are/were in fact non-existent, then I still see zero negatives.  I also didn't see it as a major decision.  I wasn't even aware that it was a debated subject until after the fact, which as a circumcised person was/is bizarre to me.  All I've asked is that people point out the negatives if they wish to characterize the practice as mutilation or otherwise demonize.  So far no-one has done anything but call into question the possible benefits, which in most debates wouldn't constitute sufficient grounds for opposition and only leaves me to assume that it's based on emotional reactions.

Also, I understand now that you're not opposed to my position, but you're definitely not the only person here that I'm addressing.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's difficult to communicate if you don't share the same language.

Similarly, it's difficult to communicate if your basic assumptions about life, existence, and value are radically different (and even moreso if this is unacknowledged, which it usually is, regardless of what tradition you adhere to). It's not surprising that atheists and the religious find meaningful discourse on these topics difficult if not impossible. Add to that, atheists, especially "militant" atheists, tend to make the whole experience unpleasant for everyone else involved, by, among other things, making unsupported value judgments left and right, even while they accuse the religious of doing the same.

[This is a response to the OP, I know the thread has progressed since then, but I don't have the time to read all of it just yet.]
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My position isn't anything terribly deep.  I saw potential for small benefits and zero negatives.
...There are risks to all surgery.  Complications include chance of infection, haemorrhaging or occasionally very serious accidents resulting in deformation (which in one case forced a sex change operation).  Really, the idea that circumcision has zero negatives cannot be defended at all (although the position that these negatives are outweighed by the positives can be more easily defended).

Which is why, in general, calling into question the benefits of a surgery is sufficient to call into question if that surgery should be performed at all.  Useless surgery with a potential risk should not be performed, which is why I wouldn't circumsize my children unless there's strong evidence that it will have a serious benefit.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would like to see a proper religious discussion some day. But the problem with these discussions is that they're only as good as the least intelligent person in the discourse. There's only so much you can say before the conversation devolves to "no, no, no no no". In fact, I find religious arguing much more useful in small groups with lower average intelligence that big groups with smarter people, because of the lack of trolls.

It doesn't help that most of these threads are started with a condescending tone or with an intent to convert (whether it's started by theists or atheists). I'm more curious on why theists end up teaming up with each other in these arguments (Jewish, Christian, Muslim, general monotheist) and why religious atheists (Buddhists) sit off at another angle and don't approach from the pure atheist view.

The main reason you can't discuss religion is because it doesn't go anywhere. It's similar to a "no salesmen allowed" policy. Nobody is interested in getting in an argument, everyone has agreed to disagree.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 05:20:53 pm by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

My position isn't anything terribly deep.  I saw potential for small benefits and zero negatives.
...There are risks to all surgery.  Complications include chance of infection, haemorrhaging or occasionally very serious accidents resulting in deformation (which in one case forced a sex change operation).  Really, the idea that circumcision has zero negatives cannot be defended at all (although the position that these negatives are outweighed by the positives can be more easily defended).

Which is why, in general, calling into question the benefits of a surgery is sufficient to call into question if that surgery should be performed at all.  Useless surgery with a potential risk should not be performed, which is why I wouldn't circumsize my children unless there's strong evidence that it will have a serious benefit.

I think it's misleading to even call it surgery.  I would categorize it as less serious than a tongue piercing (which one has permanent memories of and requires long-term maintenance which is left up to the individual who can then screw it up), and I wouldn't call that surgery.  Yeah, accidents happen, but I haven't seen any evidence that the prevalence of serious accidents is anything more than negligible.  In fact, there was a minor accident with my first kid (it began healing a little irregularly), and it required only a very minor fix of little inconvenience (another visit and a few more days of healing) and no long-term effect.  To put it in perspective, that hospital was terrible and they screwed up the delivery process so badly that I'm thankful my wife came out of it ok.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Although the technique recommended for curing it via masturbation left me seriously wondering what alternatives there are.

What I read is that the previous issue was guys humping beds when they masturbated, which caused phimosis.

Obviously not all phimosis can be cured this way, but apparently switching techniques fixed the issue most of the time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21