Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Necromancy and Modding  (Read 1561 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Necromancy and Modding
« on: June 13, 2011, 03:07:25 pm »

What are your plans for when necromancy and such come out in the next release? Personally, I'm hoping to create a fortress of zombie dwarves.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancy and Modding
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 03:37:53 pm »

Yes it would be fun to have a fort filled with mindless minions trying to do everything you want and accidentally burn your fort and make dozens of babies cry..

Wait, we already have that. Zombie fort will just be ''easy mode'' (without tantrum spirals) :P

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 03:54:17 pm »

Rotting Zombie Gobbos, who get limbs knocked off on hit.
You see, it sounds good, but I've heard rumors about Toady making undead parts move on their own, so each part knocked off is just another to kill.
Heheheh.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 04:09:31 pm »

Parts do live seperately. I for one will be making a goblin arm pit. That's a pit of arms. Not an arm pit. ¬¬

Buuut on the modding front, I really want to mess around with these ingestion syndromes, with creatures transforming, all sorts of things.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 04:30:55 pm »

Mod in Oblivion-esque Dread Zombies, several degrees stronger than the regular bunch. On another note, is it possible to mod a creature to give off miasma?
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 04:40:54 pm »

Mod in Oblivion-esque Dread Zombies, several degrees stronger than the regular bunch. On another note, is it possible to mod a creature to give off miasma?
I suppose you could mod in its tissue to give miasma. Maybe.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 04:56:22 pm »

Give the creature a tissue layer with a syndrome that only affects itself and causes severe necrosis?

Edit: The tissue layer should be redundant, or the creature should otherwise not need it. I think the Corrosion Mod actually does something like this with one of its races. Maybe see how he did it?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:58:54 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 05:47:41 pm »

Halucinogenic mushrooms here I come!

As for zombie modding, it realy depends on how much of that will be hardcoded. There was some random variation in the undead curses, which we should be able to bugger around with. Pair that with ingestion syndromes and we could make some sort of ultra-rare zombiefying mushroom.

And just imagine the mess necromancer fortress would make...
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 05:50:17 pm »

As for zombie modding, it realy depends on how much of that will be hardcoded. There was some random variation in the undead curses, which we should be able to bugger around with. Pair that with ingestion syndromes and we could make some sort of ultra-rare zombiefying mushroom.

A mushroom only found in evil swamps which periodically releases spores into the air. Those who inhale the spores are turned into zombified thralls, charged with bringing the mushroom its next meal.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 06:03:50 pm »

A mushroom only found in evil swamps which periodically releases spores into the air. Those who inhale the spores are turned into zombified thralls, charged with bringing the mushroom its next meal.
And now someone needs to make such a mushroom when the next version arrives.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 06:18:40 pm »

see if my Dfusion zombies can be controlled and grow with out heavy use of the Dfusion and all I need to do is wrangle up the undead creatures with a follow adventurer command.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 10:33:08 pm »

The interactions framework sounds like it can do everything the syndromes framework can do, at range and with or without line of sight, plus grant beneficial effects and transform creatures from one species into another, and back again on a timer.

In other words, we should have a rough-and-ready magic system.  Area effect and map-wide buff/debuffs, beneficial and baleful polymorphs, you name it.

I think it should be possible to a nightcreature/borg style player race, where you can convert captured enemies to your cause.  I can't wait to try this out on the illithids:  SPECIAL_EGG to make the illithid's lay tadpole vermin, and a tadpole-injected syndrome to turn captured humans into more illithids.

Tougher megabeasts:  It's already possible to create megabeasts that require a whole army to take on, now they can harass your dwarves from outside your fort, should you choose not to go out and confront them.  Of course, right now it's not very easy to command your dwarves tactically in battle, so this may not be very fun.

Depending on how vampires get implemented, we may finally be able to make creatures at workshops:  Toady said the vampires should have the ability to transform into vermin and back again, and we can already make vermin at workshops!  So we may be able to make a vermin that will turn into golem or whatever immediately after spawning.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 09:55:51 am »

I think it should be possible to a nightcreature/borg style player race, where you can convert captured enemies to your cause.  I can't wait to try this out on the illithids:  SPECIAL_EGG to make the illithid's lay tadpole vermin, and a tadpole-injected syndrome to turn captured humans into more illithids.
ZERG! :))

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 10:37:03 am »

Magical creatures which spread blessings when they "die" (like whisps).
Their conterparts for evil areas which spread curses.

Illithid "larva" which grows in a head and transforms the creature into an illithid variant (I really look forward to it).

Curses which turn creatures into demonic monsters.

Ancient knowledge which boosts the social skills and intelligence of those who learn it.

And of course proper F.E.V. mutants for Wasteland mod and HMHVV for Shadowrun mod.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

nocker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 10:46:08 am »

I hope I can finally mod in my necromantic-heavy race (that uses skeletons for cheap labor and cannon fodder).
Pages: [1] 2