Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: An idea to combat dwarven obesity.  (Read 10228 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An idea to combat dwarven obesity.
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 06:31:26 pm »

According to Toady, exertion is supposed to use up that energy (and limit fat increase/cause decrease), and being fat is supposed to slow you down a bit. I have no idea how much of that is actually working. It's obvious that something needs fixing or some values need changing, since dwarves get fat so easily.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Ganthan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 06:57:16 pm »

Sure enough, I found the THICKENS_ON_ENERGY_STORAGE tag in raw > objects > tissue_template_default under FAT_TEMPLATE.  If anyone's up to doing some !!FAT SCIENCE!! it would be natural to assume that removing that tag would prevent creatures from getting fatter.  If, however, it's true that fat is trimmed down with exertion then already fat dwarves will eventually slim down to emaciation.  Thicker fat would make dwarves a little tougher to, say, being punched by a tantrumer.  Fat also has the tag INSULATION:100 so that probably helps in cold and freezing biomes but would probably hurt in hot and scorching biomes.

I think I'd be a little too afraid to do any modding of the fat template else we'll wind up with Steven King's "Thinner" happening all over the fortress.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 07:51:06 pm »

I was under the impression stat rust is faster than any exercise that would work off that kind of weight, aside from constant military sparring. I also thought that was one of the many things 31.X introduced that's just sitting there til whenever the bugfix wagon comes around.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 08:26:53 pm »

I was under the impression stat rust is faster than any exercise that would work off that kind of weight, aside from constant military sparring. I also thought that was one of the many things 31.X introduced that's just sitting there til whenever the bugfix wagon comes around.

It has nothing to do with stat gain.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 08:33:04 pm »

It has nothing to do with stat gain.
I think he's saying it takes a long time to work it off and you're better off not bothering for now. He just brought up skill rust as it takes a long while before it rusts significantly, and he says it takes longer than even that.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 09:03:39 pm »

Are fat dwarves bigger? It may then turn out that Fatty McLard can wield a two-handed sword or something due to extra mass, average dwarf size is 60000 and the 2HS needs a size of 62500.

If you make everything out of platinum they'll still stay fat.
It's just genetics, you got more fat dwarves who have useless jobs. So they idle. The more they idle the more they become friends with people. Then they'll eventually get in a romance and you get a baby dwarf. That baby dwarf grows up to become a fat dwarf, spreading it's fatness to other dwarves.
Luck also plays a part in it.

That's not how real life genetics work...traits that are aquired during a lifetime aren't inherited to children, otherwise lets say the child of a one-armed war veteran would also be born one-armed.
However, you may already know that and you are commenting on our dwarven genetics, which may or may not work this way...any !!science!! done on this?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:08:41 pm by Number4 »
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

CarbonNitride

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 09:53:35 pm »

If you make everything out of platinum they'll still stay fat.
It's just genetics, you got more fat dwarves who have useless jobs. So they idle. The more they idle the more they become friends with people. Then they'll eventually get in a romance and you get a baby dwarf. That baby dwarf grows up to become a fat dwarf, spreading it's fatness to other dwarves.
Luck also plays a part in it.

That's not how real life genetics work...traits that are aquired during a lifetime aren't inherited to children, otherwise lets say the child of a one-armed war veteran would also be born one-armed.
However, you may already know that and you are commenting on our dwarven genetics, which may or may not work this way...any !!science!! done on this?

Yes and no, while Lamarck was wrong with his use and disuse hypothesis new research into epigenetics suggests that aquired traits can influence later generations without any changes to the DNA sequence.

Although I am tempted to believe that DF genetics is in fact Lamarckian in nature.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2011, 03:30:48 am »

I've had fighting machines who are loaded down with huge amounts of muscle and lard.  I blame all those cheese, meat, dwarven sugar and tallow roasts.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2011, 03:37:52 am »

Fat might have another application, someone joked earlier about melting it off with magma, and itwas even done in adventure mode to become a super, magma swimming champion, but i can testify that one update ago a forest fkre hit a herd of elephants and a number died, but the fat ones became impenetrable to fire (and missing all the fat). maybe turn your fat dwarves into armok avatars? even one success would be worth a hundred deaths...
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 03:50:00 am »

Are fat dwarves bigger? It may then turn out that Fatty McLard can wield a two-handed sword or something due to extra mass, average dwarf size is 60000 and the 2HS needs a size of 62500.
I doubt that happens, but maybe they'll be better at knocking enemies over when charging?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Mekboy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEGABEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 04:10:21 am »

I doubt that happens, but maybe they'll be better at knocking enemies over when charging?
That mental image is hilarious.
Quote from: CatalystParadox
Aw, Mekboy! A song for meeeee?
You're so sweet.  Why don't you just come in here so I can give you a hug.
... bring my pants.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
You seem to be under the illusion that we give a shit about what happens to dwarves who are too dumb to live.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 04:14:03 am »

That mental image is hilarious.

This is what it looks like in the communal dining hall 10 years after embark:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 07:52:24 am »

Fat might have another application, someone joked earlier about melting it off with magma, and itwas even done in adventure mode to become a super, magma swimming champion, but i can testify that one update ago a forest fkre hit a herd of elephants and a number died, but the fat ones became impenetrable to fire (and missing all the fat). maybe turn your fat dwarves into armok avatars? even one success would be worth a hundred deaths...
I personally don't care about the fat, so I won't bother to attempt this, but you could use the classic lever trap to pour magma on a dwarf.  Have them pull a lever on repeat (to make sure they stay in place) which causes a small amount of magma to drop onto the lever and drain through neighboring grates.  The dwarf catches fire, and you leave them on fire for some amount of time.  When you feel the dwarf has burned long enough, cancel the lever order so that the dwarf will run to the booze stockpile (their natural fire reaction) and through a dorfbath, dousing the flame.  This should let you control the flame exposure and fat damage.  If you can get the fat burned off a vanilla dwarf and make them immune to fire, please do share your results.  Bonus points if you test the different armor types.  Does steel armor help prevent fat burning?

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 07:58:34 am »

The dwarf catches fire, and you leave them on fire for some amount of time.  When you feel the dwarf has burned long enough, cancel the lever order so that the dwarf will run to the booze stockpile (their natural fire reaction) and through a dorfbath, dousing the flame. 
I thought only 7/7 water douses fire?
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 08:05:22 am »

Science time then!  If that's the case, you can easily link a nearby level up to drop water on them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5