Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: HAAAAAX: an infestation of RATs  (Read 9944 times)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: HAAAAAX: A compendium of recent events
« Reply #90 on: June 23, 2011, 12:04:59 am »

FORM UP, TEAM CESZLUL!

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 23, 2011, 12:26:02 pm »

Bit more news about the Distribute.IT hack: it did a whole lot of damage.  4800 sites were completely destroyed, with no chance of recovery, with four servers destroyed completely.  This was definitely a very malicious attack.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2011, 10:02:46 pm »

Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2011, 10:15:20 pm »

Lulzsec update: Lulzsec just leaked a bunch of Arizona law enforcement documents.
Finally Lulzsec does something good, atleast in my opinion. Oh look Lulzsec is on the Daily Show.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2011, 02:10:59 am »

Just got this in my mailbox:

We recently learned that hackers gained unauthorized access to the decade-old BioWare server system supporting the Neverwinter Nights forums. We immediately took appropriate steps to protect our consumers’ data and launched a thorough ongoing evaluation of the breach. We have determined that no credit card data was compromised from the servers, nor did we ever have or store sensitive data like social security numbers. Our investigation shows that information such as user names, encrypted passwords, email addresses, mailing addresses, names, phone numbers, CD keys and birth dates from these forum accounts on the system may have been compromised, as well as other information (if any) that you may have associated with your EA Account. In an abundance of caution, we have changed your password to ensure account security. Please visit this <snip> to reset your password immediately.

If your link has expired, click here to generate a new email.

We take the security of your information very seriously and regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. If your username, email address and/or password on your EA account are similar to those you use on other sites, we recommend changing the password at those sites as well. We advise all of our fans to always be aware of any suspicious emails or account activity and report any suspicious emails and account activity to Customer Support at 1-877-357-6007.

If you have questions, please visit our FAQ at http://support.ea.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5367/ or contact Customer Support at the phone number above.

Aaryn Flynn
Studio GM, BioWare Edmonton
VP, Electronic Arts

I can't remember ever signing up for anything BioWare though.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2011, 05:15:45 am »

We have determined that no credit card data was compromised from the servers, nor did we ever have or store sensitive data like social security numbers. Our investigation shows that information such as user names, encrypted passwords, email addresses, mailing addresses, names, phone numbers, CD keys and birth dates from these forum accounts on the system may have been compromised, as well as other information (if any) that you may have associated with your EA Account.

Although I can understand where they're coming from here, I wish that they would reduce the spin in these kinds of releases. I think it is disingenuous of them to claim that no sensitive data was stored on the server when the majority of users will reuse usernames, passwords and email addresses across many sites. Futhermore things like a mailing address, your name, phone numbers and your birthdate are all what I would consider sensitive data.

It would greatly improve such companies standings in my eyes if they just were like, "yep, we were breached and your data was stolen. We're sorry and we are working to fix the security holes." (all couched in nice PR terms of course).
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2011, 06:00:54 am »

Just got this in my mailbox:

We recently learned that hackers gained unauthorized access to the decade-old BioWare server system supporting the Neverwinter Nights forums. We immediately took appropriate steps to protect our consumers’ data and launched a thorough ongoing evaluation of the breach. We have determined that no credit card data was compromised from the servers, nor did we ever have or store sensitive data like social security numbers. Our investigation shows that information such as user names, encrypted passwords, email addresses, mailing addresses, names, phone numbers, CD keys and birth dates from these forum accounts on the system may have been compromised, as well as other information (if any) that you may have associated with your EA Account. In an abundance of caution, we have changed your password to ensure account security. Please visit this <snip> to reset your password immediately.

If your link has expired, click here to generate a new email.

We take the security of your information very seriously and regret any inconvenience this may have caused you. If your username, email address and/or password on your EA account are similar to those you use on other sites, we recommend changing the password at those sites as well. We advise all of our fans to always be aware of any suspicious emails or account activity and report any suspicious emails and account activity to Customer Support at 1-877-357-6007.

If you have questions, please visit our FAQ at http://support.ea.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5367/ or contact Customer Support at the phone number above.

Aaryn Flynn
Studio GM, BioWare Edmonton
VP, Electronic Arts

I can't remember ever signing up for anything BioWare though.
Did you double-check the e-mail address? Someone may be trying to use the recent wave of hackings as a cover for a phising expedition.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 24, 2011, 06:19:22 am »

Lulzsec update: Lulzsec just leaked a bunch of Arizona law enforcement documents.

Relevant to my interests.  I have to wonder about some of those emails in there, especially the ones in Cruise Control.  One would think that internal law enforcement communication, no matter how "personal", would still be typed in a professional air.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 24, 2011, 07:43:01 am »

I'm getting tired of getting emails from various companies telling me they've been hacked, but this is still kind of fun to watch.  Just as a reminder, everyone should use different passwords for each site they sign up for.  If this is unrealistic (understandable) at least use a different one for your email and any online banking you do.  Secure passwords should not be dictionary words, and toss in some symbols, upper case letters, and numbers to make them harder to brute force.  The longer the better, and I'm a bit believer in passphrases.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2011, 07:52:40 am »

Although I can understand where they're coming from here, I wish that they would reduce the spin in these kinds of releases. I think it is disingenuous of them to claim that no sensitive data was stored on the server when the majority of users will reuse usernames, passwords and email addresses across many sites. Futhermore things like a mailing address, your name, phone numbers and your birthdate are all what I would consider sensitive data.

It would greatly improve such companies standings in my eyes if they just were like, "yep, we were breached and your data was stolen. We're sorry and we are working to fix the security holes." (all couched in nice PR terms of course).
"Sensitive Data" is a legalese term for certain personal information that's protected by law. This is why they always mention it.

Did you double-check the e-mail address? Someone may be trying to use the recent wave of hackings as a cover for a phising expedition.
The mail originates from the em.ea.com domain, the links all go to addresses on www.ea.com, and the mail is mentioned at various gaming news sites, so it seems legit. Still can't remember ever creating an account at any Neverwinter Nights forum or even looking at one.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2011, 08:09:34 am »

From what I can gather, they apparently fired a mass email off to everyone who has an EA account - not just something related to Neverwinter Nights.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2011, 08:28:44 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:21:19 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2011, 08:42:07 am »

Edit: After checking the forums, Curse say it was a "Critical Dual Hardware Failure". Maybe I was just jumping to conclusions.
In other words, someone "format c:\"'ed our servers

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2011, 09:06:48 am »

Thanks to lulzsec, I now have different passwords for everything I can think of.

Mincraft wiki,

I wondered about that. It's been out for DAYS. I've had to rely on friends for Minecraft related info!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 24, 2011, 12:23:09 pm »

List updated.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9