Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: HAAAAAX: an infestation of RATs  (Read 9963 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: HAAAAAX: A compendium of recent events
« Reply #75 on: June 20, 2011, 01:11:49 am »

Seems this weekend is pretty slow in the hacking news department. Anyway, here's something big, new and interesting: http://www.dailytech.com/Inside+the+MegaHack+of+Bitcoin+the+Full+Story/article21942.htm
Sounds like there are some pretty massive hacks going on in the bitcoin arena. The database of the largest bitcoin trading site, Mt. Gox, was stolen:
First, it is clear that the Mt. Gox database has been stolen.  According to one source the database had 61,020 entries -- roughly in line with Mt. Gox official MagicalTux's previous statement.

Within an hour of the hack, reportedly 100,000 Bitcoins were sold at incredibly cheap rates on Mt. Gox, plunging the market from around $17.50 USD per Bitcoin to just $0.01 per Bitcoin.  Meanwhile 400,000 other Bitcoins were reported missing.
That's roughly 1/13th of the total Bitcoins in existence, or about $8.75M USD at the previous market value.

Indeed, security firm Symantec reports finding a Trojan malware program titled Infostealer.Coinbit in the wild, which tries to extract the contents of your wallet and email it to a malicious party.  The firm found code being shared on forums to similarly snatch wallet data and upload it via FTP.

Symantec also warns that botnets participating in Bitcoin mining could be netting the owners over $100,000 USD a month in profit.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:14:12 am by alway »

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 20, 2011, 10:17:16 am »

Something Awful recently did an article on bitcoins. I'm not sure if they were joking, but apparently they were accused of causing a dip in the 'bitcoin market' and someone offered bitcoins for whoever would hack Something Awful.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2011, 12:54:09 pm »

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/communication-breakdown-10000030/lulzsec-claims-soca-hack-10022772/
soca.gov.uk taken down by LulzSec (soca = UK's "Serious Organized Crime Agency")

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2011, 11:15:19 pm »

Seems this weekend is pretty slow in the hacking news department. Anyway, here's something big, new and interesting: http://www.dailytech.com/Inside+the+MegaHack+of+Bitcoin+the+Full+Story/article21942.htm
Sounds like there are some pretty massive hacks going on in the bitcoin arena. The database of the largest bitcoin trading site, Mt. Gox, was stolen:
First, it is clear that the Mt. Gox database has been stolen.  According to one source the database had 61,020 entries -- roughly in line with Mt. Gox official MagicalTux's previous statement.

Within an hour of the hack, reportedly 100,000 Bitcoins were sold at incredibly cheap rates on Mt. Gox, plunging the market from around $17.50 USD per Bitcoin to just $0.01 per Bitcoin.  Meanwhile 400,000 other Bitcoins were reported missing.
That's roughly 1/13th of the total Bitcoins in existence, or about $8.75M USD at the previous market value.

Indeed, security firm Symantec reports finding a Trojan malware program titled Infostealer.Coinbit in the wild, which tries to extract the contents of your wallet and email it to a malicious party.  The firm found code being shared on forums to similarly snatch wallet data and upload it via FTP.

Symantec also warns that botnets participating in Bitcoin mining could be netting the owners over $100,000 USD a month in profit.

Seems this weekend is pretty slow for hacking, btw here's a place where somebody just hacked 8.75 million dollars to death.

This is literally of greater interest than everything else in the thread combined.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia is What Players Make of It
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2011, 11:42:41 pm »

The Office of the Vice President website in the Philippines was defaced today by a hacker going by the name "Blackrain", a member of a hacking group called Philker.  Reason given is to alert people to security issues, essentially.  Apparently, they had done this twice before.  On June 13th, they defaced the Philippine Nuclear Research Institute site, and on the 16th, they hit the Philippine FDA.

Oh, and Sony got hacked again over the weekend.  Yes, again.
Quote from: Pandarsenic, BYOR 6.3 deadchat
FUCK YOU JACK
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris, Witches' Coven 2 Elfchat
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 21, 2011, 04:01:52 am »

I'm digging the picture used in the Sony article, as if the hackers actually sneaked into their office and just used their laptop like in Splinter Cell.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2011, 04:24:33 am »

I'm digging the picture used in the Sony article, as if the hackers actually sneaked into their office and just used their laptop like in Splinter Cell.
But isn't that how hacking works, no wonder I could never do it right!
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2011, 10:08:01 am »

Not a hack, but apparently one of the LulzSec members living in the UK was arrested today. Article.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2011, 08:18:31 pm »

LulzRaft posted a Bizmatch.ca admin username/password combination today on Twitter (that they made), after posting a small set of usernames/passwords that they acquired for it.

In addition, they posted a list of admin usernames/passwords for singtao.ca, a site for a Canadian Chinese-language newspaper, today.

EDIT: They just released 1500 logins from redcow.ca, who appear to host a whole lot of sites in Fredricton, New Brunswick.  Including the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans's site.  Yeah.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:45:01 pm by Jack A T »
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2011, 03:43:30 pm »

And look, another LulzSec-inspired group: UberLeaks.

According to their twitter posts, they did the following:

*Today: Defaced Office Space Solutions, got databases from Worldwinds and Firestream Music Vault
*Yesterday: Hacked into Maxpro Technologies and dumped a database from it
*June 20th: Database from the USDA SNAP-Ed Connection web page
*June 19th: Database from Good Taste International, database from AcademyWomen, database from Ryco Realty, database from Envision Central Texas
*June 17th: Database from Portable Freeware
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:09:21 pm by Jack A T »
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2011, 03:47:21 pm »

Not a hack, but apparently one of the LulzSec members living in the UK was arrested today. Article.

Not a member, it's been since clarified: this guy just hosted one of their (several) IRC rooms on his server. That's like arresting Bill Gates because the hackers once chatted on MSN

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2011, 04:12:47 pm »

Jesus, as if that doesn't point directly to how far behind the 8-ball the authorities are here. Pirate Pad is just as easily used as an IRC chatroom.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2011, 07:45:24 pm »

Jesus, as if that doesn't point directly to how far behind the 8-ball the authorities are here. Pirate Pad is just as easily used as an IRC chatroom.

Not to mention the FBI's raids of servers for data are facepalmingly incompetent. They've been taking entire racks and enclosures instead of say, just the harddrives of the effected sites. They've been unintentionally bringing down completely uninvolved parties because of this.

Jack A T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2011, 07:53:23 pm »

Not to mention the FBI's raids of servers for data are facepalmingly incompetent. They've been taking entire racks and enclosures instead of say, just the harddrives of the effected sites. They've been unintentionally bringing down completely uninvolved parties because of this.

And this is after they were given proper instructions on how to get it right.
FUCK YOU JACK
YOU TRAITOROUS SWINE.
Screw you, Jack.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 22, 2011, 07:57:46 pm »

I'm almost scared that the leading "official" experts on this really have no idea how to combat it.

Clearly, the only thing that can defeat LulzSec is another LulzSec.

This is how the world will end. On December 21, 2012.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9