Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: HAAAAAX: an infestation of RATs  (Read 9958 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: HAAAAAX: A compendium of recent events
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2011, 02:35:49 pm »

Attacks on Heroes of Newerth, planned attacks on EVE and possible attacks on WoW.
...Phone DDoS? Well that's certainly not something you see every day. Based on their twitter, they seem to be redirecting calls to various organizations.
I'm not even sure whether or not that should be put on the list. XD
Phone redirects to (in general chronological order):
magnets.com
WoW customer support
FBI detroit offices
unnamed website hosting company
HBGary

Quotes from the twitter:
Our number literally has anywhere between 5-20 people ringing it every single second.
On another interesting note, they seem to be saying they do indeed have a botnet; whether or not the actual statement is true is anyone's guess:
The best part about making 50% of all /b/tards our bots is that they leave their daddy's laptops on 24/7, more bandwidth for us. :3
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 02:41:33 pm by alway »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2011, 03:20:44 pm »

FBI Detroit, eh? Should make for an interesting weekend.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2011, 03:21:07 pm »

Messing around with phone line was how hacking got started, so it's classic on the list material.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2011, 04:39:09 pm »

ADP was hacked today.  Especially problematic because they have lots of names, social security numbers, addresses and salary information.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2011, 06:07:52 pm »

A short news article about aforementioned ADP: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5haiUYXLnf5nqhvNl-sToPmfF2wZg?docId=CNG.1e5d3f9448ec96aed7651f278cc122ed.7e1
Only 1 client found affected, so it seems for now its a relatively minor hack.

Edit: An update on lulzsec's stuff today: A successful DDoS against cia.gov, the US Gov's CIA; An unsuccessful attempt to access sensitive docs on senate.gov, blocked by a firewall; EvE's login server brought down again.
http://techland.time.com/2011/06/15/hackers-claim-to-sting-cia-website-attack-senate-site-again/

Edit 2: Anon going after Malaysia's government web portal later this evening.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jnY1hXWjU9hcbRvd_pH9TKTvHwBw?docId=CNG.b0834d5f7f2d0a1c3d343e3121f3c2fa.641
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:58:50 pm by alway »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2011, 12:50:57 am »

I kind of dislike how this thread is just a laundry list of crap that happens rather than actual discussion. I think we can discuss without getting every single thread locked.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/security/there-is-no-security-hackers-take-down-cia-site-20110616-1g4om.html

Brand new article though.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2011, 02:05:25 am »

I kind of dislike how this thread is just a laundry list of crap that happens rather than actual discussion. I think we can discuss without getting every single thread locked.
The main reason is to avoid the pointless chatter which can be summarized as 'wow, those assholes suck, i bet they get arrested soon' 'nuh uh, they is good at h4x0rs.' That is to say, at this point, I don't see much constructive discussion possibility. If something akin to the IMF hacking was to come along, sure; that would warrant discussion, as there are big questions yet to be explored, such as who sponsored the hacking and what the motives were. LulzSec's actions, persona, ect, are all crystal clear; there is really nothing to be gained discussing them aside from post count. So while the ban on discussing in this thread currently stands, it may be waved in the future if events transpire which are particularly worthy of discussion.

Updating list with today's events; adding a more uniform indicator for what general type of attack was carried out in the 'what' column.

An update on Anonymous's promised Malaysian attacks: http://www.zdnetasia.com/anonymous-targets-malaysian-sites-62300776.htm
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:18:04 am by alway »

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2011, 01:04:17 pm »

Today, LulzSec released 62,000 email/password combos from an unknown site.
http://gizmodo.com/5812530/lulzsec-leaks-62000-emailpassword-combo-internet-goodie-bag
As passwords are reused by a large majority of people, they are encouraging their less intellect-endowed followers to use them to break into people's accounts on websites and games. If you reuse any of your passwords, here's a tool to ensure yours weren't in the release: http://gizmodo.com/5812545/find-out-if-your-passwords-were-leaked-by-lulzsec-right-here

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2011, 01:12:19 pm »

I'm not comfortable entering my e-mail address into a webpage that a known hacker group may have access to.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2011, 01:17:55 pm »

Yeah, I'd rather just change all my passwords.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2011, 01:33:47 pm »

Well, they're query thing doesn't seem to be working, so I basically just changed every password I could find. The mediafire link is down too. I guess I'll never know if I was hit... but with gmail's billions of users I find it moderately unlikely.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2011, 01:39:35 pm »

Yeah, the first link seems to think the original source was a website called 'writerspace.com'
If you're a user there, I suggest changing all your passwords if they are duplicated anywhere. If not... well, you probably don't have too much to worry about. Although as we all know, you should never duplicate passwords anyway (not that anyone follows that common wisdom >_>)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2011, 01:43:45 pm »

Well, I found a website that queries a shortened version of the list that's still online. Looks like no one I know was hit. Hmm...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2011, 01:49:42 pm »

Bioware's Neverwinter Nights forums were also hacked, according to this: http://www.geek.com/articles/games/bioware-hacked-18000-neverwinter-nights-forums-accounts-stolen-20110616/
Hacker/s currently unknown; LulzSec hasn't claimed responsibility so far. 18,000 people's personal info and username/passwords accessed.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2011, 01:55:04 pm »

Why doesn't anyone hash passwords?
Seriously, so god damned simple.

I had a Neverwinter Nights account too... Thankfully I think it's information was different due to wierd Username requirements or something.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9