Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aiming thrown enemies  (Read 1795 times)

Marsunpaistii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aiming thrown enemies
« on: June 13, 2011, 08:51:15 am »

A small idea for adventurer mode; you should be able to aim enemies you throw using wrestling just like you aim when you throw stuff normally and the damage would be affected by your throwing and wrestling skills. Same thing for aiming ranged weapons at certain spots of the enemies just like you can aim melee attacks nowadays

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aiming thrown enemies
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 10:11:14 am »

yeah, ive been wanting this also and just got an idea that, instead of melee's "easy strike, difficult strike, impossible strike etc" there should be almost static depending on bodyparts size.
for example, if you try to aim at the head, it could have "difficult target" and upperbody "fairly easy target" and then it depends on your throwing skill and focus and what ever affects your hitting today with throwing. if you aim at the upperbody, and you miss, it could hit nearby bodypart, upper arm or lower body or head, or then miss completely

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 04:17:19 pm »

I'd be fine being able to control if you toss your enemy off a cliff/into a wall/into a pond or across a flat plain.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 06:57:47 pm »

Rather, they should just make it so that the creature you're wrestling is an option in the 'throw item' menu.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 07:33:55 pm »

Rather, they should just make it so that the creature you're wrestling is an option in the 'throw item' menu.
If you can throw a dragon corpse, you can throw a dragon.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 07:37:59 pm »

You could make a creature have an attack that acts like a heavy hammer and propels the opponent in the direction you want then name it throwing.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Tsukana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 04:09:12 pm »

yeah, ive been wanting this also and just got an idea that, instead of melee's "easy strike, difficult strike, impossible strike etc" there should be almost static depending on bodyparts size.
for example, if you try to aim at the head, it could have "difficult target" and upperbody "fairly easy target" and then it depends on your throwing skill and focus and what ever affects your hitting today with throwing. if you aim at the upperbody, and you miss, it could hit nearby bodypart, upper arm or lower body or head, or then miss completely

One's ability to hit a target, and the ease of such, changes drastically during the course of a fight, realistically. Static "to-hit's" would ruin how real combat feels in DF.

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 04:14:13 pm »

Aimed throwing is definitely a must.. I am sick of throwing enemies at myself, knocking me on my ass.

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 04:19:26 pm »

This would also make assuming control of grand master wrestling bronze collosus in the arena even more entertaining than it already is.
Hello.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 08:13:29 pm »

One's ability to hit a target, and the ease of such, changes drastically during the course of a fight, realistically. Static "to-hit's" would ruin how real combat feels in DF.
To be fair, in reality, you generally have a significantly higher chance to hit the body, regardless of skill [though especially at lower skill] if you aim for it than, say, the head.
Some base chances need to be determined independently of skill, so you can't make completely impossible strikes just because your skill is high.
For example, if you're in front of them, it's going to be impossible to stab them in the back unless you juke around or "hug" them (or, obviously, stab all the way through them).
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Tsukana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 09:09:12 pm »

If skill were completely thrown out the window, say, and the chance of dodging or blocking in any way was nil, there would still be some parts at any given point in time that you can't hit. That's all I'm saying. :D