Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: SimWorld - Tribes style FPS + base-building!  (Read 6921 times)

Sim9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SimWorld - Tribes style FPS + base-building!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2011, 08:51:47 pm »

OzyTheSage:  Totally open to constructive criticism & suggestions.  I played a ton of the Tribes Construction mod(s) way back, and I remember how awesome they were

PTTG??:  Cool!  It does support LAN gameplay, and has super low hardware requirements
8BitMMO, a WIP multiplayer game of fighting & building: Forum ThreadPlay In Browser

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2011, 10:10:00 pm »

I'm interested in 8bitMMO

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2011, 10:11:31 pm »

I just briefly read the description and I ought to say, I've dreamed of a game like this for a long time. Checking it out...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 10:16:16 pm »

Oh sweet, there's probably a whole bunch of stuff that I'll forget to mention here, and stuff that you are probably aware of but here it goes, just by what I played with you earlier.

• First there needs to be a way to adjust the mouse sensitivity.
  • Add more of the controls to the controls section.
  • Item spawners should spawn their item only once, and once it's picked up it should spawn another. Right now it pretty much constantly spews items out.
  • Some buildings shouldn't be able to be built in midair. Instead they snap to the surface the crosshair is on rather than being a set distance away from the crosshair (even in midair). And on that note, you should be able to spawn stuff a little further away so that you aren't practically inside of them. This would probably speed up construction a whole lot too. (not sure how to explain this one)
  • The first team spawn point should be free, I think.
  • Instead of spawning x by y by z objects you should be able to scale objects more specifically and the cost could be based on both how much volume the object has and how large the longest parts are (to help prevent huge poles that spam the place up and only cost like 5 bucks). Or maybe have the preset objects like now but also have a "custom" object that works this way.
  • In that vein, perhaps using money to extend an object you have previously place in a direction
  • There should be preset bunkers of sorts, objects that cost more but are easy fast defenses.
  • Should be able to (step up) more. On the test we did you place a ramp up to the top but there was a small bump in it which stopped anyone from going up.
  • Should be able to switch between passenger positions. Pilots and gunners would not be able to do this, only people in a passenger compartment.
  • Shooting from vehicles is great. I don't know if it would be possible, but perhaps as you look down you lean forward a bit, allowing you to shoot out of the vehicle without shooting at the floor.
  • Enemy player and enemy object names should not be visible until closer, and for things such as objects, only when they're in the crosshair.
There's also things that could probably be considered later in development, such as inventory, vehicle factories, grabbing money and bringing it to a refinery before being able to use it, other base buildings, turrets, all that good stuff.

Also, yeah, I saw something about 8bit MMO but I didn't read anything on that, so i don't have anything to say about that at the moment =p

I just briefly read the description and I ought to say, I've dreamed of a game like this for a long time. Checking it out...
Ace of Spades might interest you. It's got construction and fighting to an extent but it's still in beta or something... and it looks similar to Minecraft and a lot of people seem to like that. it does not have an explosive crossbow, though =p
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:19:18 pm by OzyTheSage »

Sim9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2011, 01:17:13 am »

x2yzh9/Ozy RE 8BitMMO:  New thread posted here with details on 8BitMMO (2D building/combat game) -- hope you check it out! :)

Ozy RE SimWorld:

Great feedback, and I agree these would be great improvements!  I see a lot that were already in the plan, and a few new ones that I hadn't thought of before.  I did want to talk about a few specifically:

> Or maybe have the preset objects like now but also have a "custom" object that works this way.

Actually, I do have a preset system planned, so you'd be able to save your base (or a portion of it) as a template for quick placement later.  Would be good to also include a few defaults there in the system.

> In that vein, perhaps using money to extend an object you have previously place in a direction

Agree this would be really handy.  In the meantime you can look at an object and press G to copy it (including its rotation)

> Should be able to switch between passenger positions.

This works in the Jetty  - press Q.  Even works for the pilot (use at your own peril :P)

Thanks for playing and for feedback!

SW Tutorial video update:  I got footage with Ozy this evening, and it's now transcoding on my box.  Hopefully can finish editing it up and post it tomorrow night!
8BitMMO, a WIP multiplayer game of fighting & building: Forum ThreadPlay In Browser
Pages: 1 [2]