Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: SimWorld - Tribes style FPS + base-building!  (Read 6920 times)

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
SimWorld - Tribes style FPS + base-building!
« on: June 13, 2011, 05:16:48 am »

This is a very new indie game that just made its first public release. I spotted it on Indiedb.com

Players join teams, build health and ammo spawners, buy vehicles, lay roads, floors, bridges and walls, and of course shoot each other!
It says Tribes in the title. Well, in the current version 4 of the game, rocket jumping isn't in yet, but it will be in v5 of the game which is currently in private testing!

EDIT: v5 is now available. Jetpacks still not in

Read Quick-start quide for screenshots and how base building works! (will also be revamped for v5)

Download game here

Most graphics look primitive atm (especially the ground), but the crossbow looks great, and if you press Tab, you can see your character looks pretty great too, so I expect everything will look better eventually.

I am currently running a server on my not-so-great connection, but there is nobody inside. Hop in if you want!

Things to come with v5 (not in yet):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: On the other hand, I just noticed that this v5 post is from 2009 and v4 itself is from 2007...so not sure what to make of that. :| Maybe the indiedb entry means things are moving along again though.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:06:03 am by Xinvoker »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SimWorld - Tribes style FPS + base-building!
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 05:41:12 am »

Uh... why call this SimWorld when it's a Tribes-like thing? It ain't a sim, so the name is misleading. And being an FPS called "SimWorld" makes it sound like the most action-deprived, RP-based FPS ever (which it probably isn't, but I haven't played it, so I dunno).

FunctionZero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 05:52:17 am »

The mechanics in the Quickstart guide look solid. And I don't mind the graphics too much.

I seem to be having a problem, after a while, the game just freezes. Anyone else has this?

Xinvoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 05:59:48 am »

The mechanics in the Quickstart guide look solid. And I don't mind the graphics too much.

I seem to be having a problem, after a while, the game just freezes. Anyone else has this?

It worked fine for me. Except when I built a Jetty and everything started lagging, I had to destroy it.

P.S. I closed the server now, but I am in the lobby.
P.S.S. I've made a rather disappointing edit in the original post.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 08:25:27 am »

Are there jetpacks? If no, it isn't Tribes-style.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 12:19:52 pm »

Are there jetpacks? If no, it isn't Tribes-style.
Totally true.

Also, reminds me of Tremulous, which is another FPS that implements building. I'll have to check this out this summer.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 05:57:41 pm »

I love the concept but I don't think it's quite ready to be played yet.

I like the idea of building bases then fighting over them. Tribes 2 had a mod like that.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 06:10:55 pm »

replying for intesting concept, maybe i'll play later if we wanna get a good server.
Nom nom nom

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 09:39:06 pm »

I played SimEarth back when it was new. Is this updated graphics and more complex algorithms?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 10:39:16 pm »

Heh, cool to see the Torque Game Engine still being put to use :).
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 10:45:44 pm »

So it has two weapons and is mostly abandoned? Err... Think I'll stick with Terraria if that's the case.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 11:11:16 pm »

Hmm, after running a get a "Error Allocating Memory" message. I'm quite sure I installed and ran right, through HotAir, and it's definetely not a problem with my memory as it seems to be fine, only about 15% CPU usage and my Commit Charge is 1264M/5202M. What's the problem?
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Sim9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2011, 01:02:20 am »

Wow!  Awesome to see people playing and talking about SimWorld! :D

I made SW between 2004~2009, but there wasn’t much in the way of community interest at the time.  So, I haven’t done any SW Dev since 2009, but a few people have rediscovered it recently, and are making new content for it (sweet!). Going forward, I’ll be merging in new community content, and if there’s demand for it, possibly polishing up V5 for a proper release.

(I haven’t been sitting idle since 2009, though!  I’ve been working on another project called 8BitMMO, which is also a building/combat game, but set in top-down 2D on a persistent server.  If you guys are interested, I’ll share)

Anyway, seeing people playing V4 again, there’s no real reason to keep V5 private.  Might as well get people using the new build system, as it makes things a lot easier.  V5 does have a lot of programmer art, but then again, so does V4.  :P  So, I’ve toggled the settings in Archive Games so V5 can be publicly downloaded.  I’ll also probably do a quick video tutorial this week to teach people how to play, as it’s not as intuitive as I would have liked.  Also looking into potentially organizing a play session on Saturday at Noon pacific.

Detonate – can you post your console.log to a site like pastebin?  No guarantee I’ll be able to solve it, but I’ll take a look for you.  Also might be worth trying V5 to see if it’s the same problem, there was an engine upgrade between V4 and V5 that may have resolved it.
8BitMMO, a WIP multiplayer game of fighting & building: Forum ThreadPlay In Browser

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2011, 01:32:33 am »

Oh that's good news =)

I just briefly played it, though I'm not sure you'll be coming back here to take any criticisms or suggestions. If you do manage to get enough interest I'm hoping this becomes kinda what Tribes 2 Combat Construction was back in the day. That kicked ass.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 12:12:29 pm »

This might be worth playing for a while at my next lan party.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: [1] 2