Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Turing's Tower - Megaproject  (Read 3992 times)

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
Turing's Tower - Megaproject
« on: June 12, 2011, 08:02:08 pm »

So I decided to start a megaproject. I've partially planned it out mentally - I'm going to build a castle controlled by a Turing machine. The Turing machine is what I'm currently focusing on; hopefully the rest will follow. This will mostly be done as Quickfort designs, to save my sanity.

Mods/utilities:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

General schematic assumptions:
Todo list:
  • Embark Site
    • Specs
    • Genning/Finding
  • Turing machine
    • Tape
      • Specs
      • Test
      • Build
  • Incrementer/Decrementer
    • Specs
    • Design
    • Test
    • Build
  • Controlling logic
    • Specs
    • Design
    • Test
    • Build
  • Castle
    • Design
    • Build
    • Cast
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:07:08 pm by Root Infinity »
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
Re: Turing's Tower - Megaproject
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 12:05:11 pm »

Annnnnd... nothing. Not a single reply? odd...

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 12:06:10 pm »

Wut is a turing ma-cheen i just don' know
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 01:06:30 pm »

Good luck with this.  I've considered building one of these myself.  I don't think an actual turing machine has ever been built in DF, although there was of course the working (simple) computer someone built, and my Game of Life engine.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 09:56:34 am »

The game of life is actually Turing-complete, so technically you did build something as powerful as a Turing machine. Ignoring space restrictions.

rangarkash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 10:28:05 am »

You realize the concept of a Turing machine is highly dependent on infinite storage space right?  :P

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 10:36:28 am »

So like, you can umm... calculate things? or... stuff... and junk?

I dunno what you'd do with this... how would it work, even?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 10:47:40 am »

Looking over at your requirement, though I know you already found a spot, it seems like an one cavern world with large amount of layers above and below it, as well as high Z set, would be perfect for your purpose. Though you can remove the [AQUIFER] tag to make it easier and seek a sandy spot for glass, I don't think you would need much glass. Unless you're doing a lot of magma works, or just like the looks. With a few layers just to dedicated a tree farm in, and an obsidian-casting layer or two, and hopefully a lot of water in cavern ( water's adjustable in advanced perimeter also) sounds like it'd be perfect spot to make an automated fortress.

I thinks tower-cap would make for nice contrast with the obsidian surrounding! Though black-cap probably could show up even on one-cavern worlds and blend in, color-wise, at least in ASCII fort.

I don't really have much to say otherwise, other than good luck! A true Turing machine would need a few ( or a dozen plus ) layers of storage just to run the tapes, I'd imagine. Would be nice to get some snapshots of the innards, and maybe a wiki entry once it's done and working  :D

tomblifter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 10:54:08 am »

Do you have the design ready? I'd love to see it.

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 11:38:12 am »

The thing I'm curious about is how you're going to implement the tape. Since there are no fully moving parts, are you just going to have a global thing that shifts water from one part to the next?
=Uncool-

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 11:42:27 am »

Interesting. I hope this works out.

LastDwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 03:02:42 pm »

I've spent a good bit of time working out the most efficient tape using the motion of water. Here is the template for a two-cell tape:

t%>s
^  %
%  v
s<%t

The 's' indicates a hole for storing the fluid, and the 't' indicates a hole used for transferring it. To make the tape longer, repeat the pattern diagonally along the s holes.

I've got two different ways of controlling the water motion.

One is to selectively power the screw pumps. Start by powering either the north pumps, or the south pumps. Then turn them off. Then activate the east/west pumps.

The second is to have the pumps powered all the time, and have the t-holes be doors rather than holes, and have the east/west pumps a z-level higher with a hatch at their output. To move, close the hatch blocking the output of the east/west pumps, and open a set of doors. Then close all the doors. Then open the hatch.

I think the first is easier to build, but the second would be faster.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 06:00:47 pm »

I've spent a good bit of time working out the most efficient tape using the motion of water. Here is the template for a two-cell tape:

t%>s
^  %
%  v
s<%t

The 's' indicates a hole for storing the fluid, and the 't' indicates a hole used for transferring it. To make the tape longer, repeat the pattern diagonally along the s holes.

I've got two different ways of controlling the water motion.

One is to selectively power the screw pumps. Start by powering either the north pumps, or the south pumps. Then turn them off. Then activate the east/west pumps.

The second is to have the pumps powered all the time, and have the t-holes be doors rather than holes, and have the east/west pumps a z-level higher with a hatch at their output. To move, close the hatch blocking the output of the east/west pumps, and open a set of doors. Then close all the doors. Then open the hatch.

I think the first is easier to build, but the second would be faster.

I tried that, but it seems to be space-inefficient. Your idea using doors is much better though (It drops the z-levels required from 3 to 2) making it a possibility again... Thanks! It seems much more dwarfy than a bank of memory and a incrementer/decrementer (Which I have designed, by the way...)

Looking over at your requirement, though I know you already found a spot, it seems like an one cavern world with large amount of layers above and below it, as well as high Z set, would be perfect for your purpose. Though you can remove the [AQUIFER] tag to make it easier and seek a sandy spot for glass, I don't think you would need much glass. Unless you're doing a lot of magma works, or just like the looks. With a few layers just to dedicated a tree farm in, and an obsidian-casting layer or two, and hopefully a lot of water in cavern ( water's adjustable in advanced perimeter also) sounds like it'd be perfect spot to make an automated fortress.

I thinks tower-cap would make for nice contrast with the obsidian surrounding! Though black-cap probably could show up even on one-cavern worlds and blend in, color-wise, at least in ASCII fort.

I don't really have much to say otherwise, other than good luck! A true Turing machine would need a few ( or a dozen plus ) layers of storage just to run the tapes, I'd imagine. Would be nice to get some snapshots of the innards, and maybe a wiki entry once it's done and working  :D
  • 3-cavern world (Wanted as much wood as possible)
  • Z levels (top to bottom) 20 1 20 1 20 20 1 (Lots of aboveground; cavern close to surface; lots of building space below cavern 1; almost no space before cavern 3;lots of space below caverns for both minerals and cotton candy
  • I am using sand for pumps
  • Almost full cavern (will be pumped out/diverted, as the stream is just for power)

The thing I'm curious about is how you're going to implement the tape. Since there are no fully moving parts, are you just going to have a global thing that shifts water from one part to the next?
=Uncool-

Started with thinking about a bank of memory and an incrementer/decrementer, but I think I will have pumps moving water. Seems more dwarfy somehow...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 06:16:05 pm by Root Infinity »

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011, 06:46:47 pm »

You realize the concept of a Turing machine is highly dependent on infinite storage space right?  :P

The game of life is actually Turing-complete, so technically you did build something as powerful as a Turing machine. Ignoring space restrictions.

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 06:54:17 pm »

Yea... any "Turing maching" IRL isn't actually a TM, but a finite approximation of one.
Pages: [1] 2