Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Turing's Tower - Megaproject  (Read 3986 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: Turing's Tower - Megaproject
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 12:13:26 am »

• 3-cavern world (Wanted as much wood as possible)
  • Z levels (top to bottom) 20 1 20 1 20 20 1 (Lots of aboveground; cavern close to surface; lots of building space below cavern 1; almost no space before cavern 3;lots of space below caverns for both minerals and cotton candy
  • I am using sand for pumps
  • Almost full cavern (will be pumped out/diverted, as the stream is just for power)

In my experience, wood's more limited by tree farm space than anything relating to caverns, unless you want variety home-grown. As for power, water reactors seem to be much better option and easier to position properly. Far easier than trying to hook up to a stream for me, that is, and far more extendable, power-wise.

Otherwise, it does looks like you have a LOT of space to work with, have fun and don't blow it up before showing us  ;D

Root Infinity

• Bay Watcher
  • Why?
    • View Profile
Re: Turing's Tower - Megaproject
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 06:34:08 am »

Umm... I already "blew up" my first fort, aptly named "Gravesfirst". I embarked with no water in the caverns and as a result had no underground crops. Then it tantrum spiraled when a goblin killed my bookkeeper/CMD, who had nothing to do and so knew everyone well (I had forgot to turn off invasions when I moved the save :( ).

• 3-cavern world (Wanted as much wood as possible)
  • Z levels (top to bottom) 20 1 20 1 20 20 1 (Lots of aboveground; cavern close to surface; lots of building space below cavern 1; almost no space before cavern 3;lots of space below caverns for both minerals and cotton candy
  • I am using sand for pumps
  • Almost full cavern (will be pumped out/diverted, as the stream is just for power)

In my experience, wood's more limited by tree farm space than anything relating to caverns, unless you want variety home-grown. As for power, water reactors seem to be much better option and easier to position properly. Far easier than trying to hook up to a stream for me, that is, and far more extendable, power-wise.

Otherwise, it does looks like you have a LOT of space to work with, have fun and don't blow it up before showing us  ;D

The biggest thing with the caverns is that I wanted all types of trees (Far easier to color-code axles, so I don't accidently connect a millstone to a toggled supply, for example). The extra water and drainage helps too

As for power, I find that DWRs sap FPS like nobody's business, so I'm going to stay away from them as much as possible. Also, I don't like them as they seem to exploity - the ghigantic ones I can sort of see - they're !!dwarven!!, but not really so the smaller ones...
Classic Medieval sexist views are awesome when they work out in your favor.
Noone likes my witty comments enough to sig them.
Pages: 1 [2]