Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about RTD's  (Read 975 times)

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
A question about RTD's
« on: June 12, 2011, 05:55:12 pm »

I've been looking at some of these RTD's, and I have a question. I wish to create one sometime, but how and where do I start? I don't want to start in a bad way, I would possibly get too embarrased and vanish.  :-[
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question about RTD's
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 06:00:52 pm »

Just find some setting you like then work from there. A few good roll systems floating around too.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 06:06:08 pm »

Just think up a good idea and roll with it. Imagine a role playing game you imagine people would like to play, then imagine alot of annoying rules and lore restrictions, then forget all those and just do whats fun.

For example, there are no "Spider-Elfs" in the Lone Wolf book series, and yet...there are in my game, based somewhat upon that.

I'm a first time GM myself-the hardest part is getting a coherent idea, and getting into regular updates.

It helps if you played a few games as well, so you know what to expect.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 06:25:04 pm »

You start with a d6. Then you add or change whatever you'd like (some people use a d8 or nonstandard interpretations of what each number means, for instance), preferably keeping it pretty simple.

In terms of setting/concept, mostly what Dwarmin said.

Finally, bear in mind that starting an RTD that promptly dies isn't a massive deal. It's better for everyone that doesn't happen, of course, but you're not going to be shunned or maligned because things didn't work out. Even failure is a learning experience for you, and something new for everyone else.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 06:28:55 pm »

Make sure it doesn't get so complex that it becomes boring to make the turns, and only run one at a time until you feel like you cna handle more.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 06:35:51 pm »

Ditto on the overcomplexity part.
Unless you're good at that.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 07:20:26 pm »

Here, a quote from a different thread (which you should post on instead of starting a new thread, since it's kinda dedicated to brainstorming RTDs). This stuff is miscellaneous, it's addressing a different person, and it has things that have likely already been said by other people, but it's still informative.

1: GIVE THE PLAYERS A GOAL! If they don't have a goal, they'll get bored and quit. I've made that mistake... what, 4 times? Yeah, make sure the players know what their objective is.
2: Figure out the rules BEFORE you start the game, as editing rules in-game is a baaaad idea unless it's fairly minor or it won't have any noticeable affects at the current state. Because not only will it disrupt the players, but it creates extra work for you when changing things.
3: Figure out what crowd you want to attract: Little rules, and you'll invite the people who are just in so they can die horribly. Lots of rules, and you'll only get the HARD CORE RTD players, and would be better off in the Forum Games and Roleplaying sub-forum and not the Roll To Dodge sub-sub-forum. The middle point is what you're aiming for. Hit it and people of all kinds will flock to play.
4: Don't overburden yourself. The more you burden yourself, the more bored you'll be while writing a turn. Make your RTD as simple as possible without ruining the quality.
5: Make sure you give players enough optional crap to fill out because some of us just like to fill out stuff for the lulz.
6: Some players love to get themselves horribly killed or mutated. Keep that in mind.
7: Expect anything. Players are always Chaotic Evil insane psychopaths that will do the last thing you'd expect them to do.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 07:26:44 pm »

Chaotic Neutral/stupid Tarran.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 07:31:46 pm »

Are you seriously trying to deny that you're evil, insane, and psychopathic? Nice try, I know your true colors.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 07:32:31 pm »

Hey, It's just the evil bit I'm disproving. :P

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 08:04:11 pm »

I'm Lawful Crazy Good HARD CORE RP, thank you very much. Honestly, I've migrated back to the sub-forum to get away from the hordes of YOU ARE SUGGESTION GAMES, because I see better ideas up here.
Even the avatars expire eventually.