Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19

Author Topic: And again, Toribash.  (Read 38793 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: And again, Toribash.
« Reply #105 on: June 14, 2011, 06:00:56 pm »

Ugh. I just made an awesome move that cannot be replicated again. Even if I do it step by step, it messes up.

[EDIT] I don't see what all the holdall hate is. If it's so N00BY, then you should have found a way to combat it, by now.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 06:04:20 pm by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2011, 06:16:41 pm »

[EDIT] I don't see what all the holdall hate is. If it's so N00BY, then you should have found a way to combat it, by now.
It's not so much that there's no way to fight it so much as a lot of pros try for more flair than actually winning (as evidenced by most of the replays that are packaged with the game; copious amounts of flair), and holdall has none of it.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2011, 06:26:35 pm »

Uh... I am doing free play, and after practicing with having myself fall for a bit at the start, I am now grabbing my opponent's ass with both hands, and am off my feet, almost on my knees... Any suggestions on how to finish them, that is not a joke? I already thought of all of the jokes you can make, so don't bother.
Set dismembermenttreshold to 20 and rip him a new one?
Not sure it would be a "new one", per say.

Plus, setting the threshold lower is quite nooby. Do it if you want, while you're getting used to things, but you know you're doing well when you can pull off a good Madman (that's the term for when you basically go crazy and rip Uke apart, like in the replay i posted earlier. I made that ages ago, but it's still my favorite :P) with the threshhold at the very least at the default setting.

My advice would be to stick with the default threshold, so you get used to it first and foremost. Just saying.

FAKEEDIT: If you're in multiplayer, forget flair, messing around's just gonna lose you the match. Singleplayer, hell yes, do what you can, since you can edit them till you make the right moves.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2011, 06:27:21 pm »

I am trying my best to never use holdall... I am getting my ass kicked by the unmoving training dummy. Default mode, and cannot even dismember anything.
Mmm, how long ago did you start playing?
That's going to be pretty much expected for a while, regardless of the techniques you're using.
You'll get it.
ACTUAL EDIT:
FAKEEDIT: If you're in multiplayer, forget flair, messing around's just gonna lose you the match. Singleplayer, hell yes, do what you can, since you can edit them till you make the right moves.
Flair != "messing around".
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 06:29:25 pm by Jay »

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2011, 06:29:53 pm »

Yeah, I have so many awesome and perfect moves.
That only work if the enemy decides to waste the first 5 turns standing still :P
*Hugs*

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2011, 06:31:58 pm »

I am trying my best to never use holdall... I am getting my ass kicked by the unmoving training dummy. Default mode, and cannot even dismember anything.
Mmm, how long ago did you start playing?
That's going to be pretty much expected for a while, regardless of the techniques you're using.
You'll get it.
Hell, I'm a blue belt (even used to be a black belt some one and a half year ago but I can't recall the password for that account) and I still have trouble with the training dummy.   

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #111 on: June 14, 2011, 06:34:27 pm »

Flair = showing off when you should be concentrating something that's actually gonna help.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 14, 2011, 06:47:16 pm »

Well, I did just start playing about an hour ago, so I guess there is a bit of a learning curve.
Are you on a server or just playing with the dummy?
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2011, 07:03:09 pm »

Flair = showing off when you should be concentrating something that's actually gonna help.
Doing something with flair = Making something that's actually gonna help look awesome.

...Huh.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2011, 07:11:55 pm »

Ah, good old blender.tbm
2,881,007,872 points
I'm honestly surprised the point counter even goes that high.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 14, 2011, 07:15:31 pm »

It's a real thing, this holdall hate, so you really aught not to use it, but...

Doing something with flair = Making something that's actually gonna help look awesome.

...Huh.

So, you're saying we should care that some random people on the internet hate a feature of the game for no other reason than that it doesn't look cool.. and that we shouldn't use it or those people will whine.

I'm really not seeing your reasoning here.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 14, 2011, 07:20:32 pm »

So, you're saying we should care that some random people on the internet hate a feature of the game for no other reason than that it doesn't look cool.. and that we shouldn't use it or those people will whine.

I'm really not seeing your reasoning here.
You shouldn't use it because you'll get accustomed to using it, and then wonder why most black belts hate you when you play online with them later.
I can't even count the number of comments I've deleted from my videos that "related" to me tending towards holdall at that time.
Of course, it's irrelevant if you don't play online, but where's the fun in that?
It's also irrelevant if you only play with friends or such.

Jusman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2011, 07:23:08 pm »

I propose we use the dwarf mod next time we get a server up  :P
I heard your like sieges so I put a Goblin fortress in your fortress so you could siege while besieged.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 14, 2011, 07:23:30 pm »

You shouldn't use it because you'll get accustomed to using it, and then wonder why most black belts hate you when you play online with them later.
I can't even count the number of comments I've deleted from my videos that "related" to me tending towards holdall at that time.
Of course, it's irrelevant if you don't play online, but where's the fun in that?
It's also irrelevant if you only play with friends or such.

You're still saying the same thing... "We shouldn't use it because people will whine about it." I don't understand why this matters.

It's like high school where you have to do something to get in with the *ahem* "cool" crowd.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 07:26:04 pm by Jehdin »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 14, 2011, 07:28:07 pm »

And I don't understand why you're continuing to argue against it.
It's not that much harder to learn relaxall, and it'll save you some grief if you play against pubbies down the road.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19