Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: And again, Toribash.  (Read 38750 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: And again, Toribash.
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2011, 11:45:23 am »

anyone have some non-holdall tutorials, then? I doubt I'll ever be in one of the serious rooms, but it would interesting to do more toristuff.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2011, 11:55:53 am »

The starter itself isnt holdall. But it goes into holdall in the end.
You go into holdall after two turns.  The rest of the match is holdall.  That's more than enough to get you yelled at (by me, or) in the other rooms.
The best I can do is flap around like a fish when I arent holding a lot.
You know that's all you were doing when you WERE holding everything, right?  :P
anyone have some non-holdall tutorials, then? I doubt I'll ever be in one of the serious rooms, but it would interesting to do more toristuff.
I would recommend just going into freeplay mode and experimenting with the different joints.
That's how I learned it.
To some extent, a specific joint movement in relaxall will have roughly the same effect as doing the same thing in holdall.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2011, 12:01:03 pm »

Why exactly is holdall so bad, anyway? I don't mean from a mechanics standpoint, partially relaxed joints offer broader range of movements than you'd otherwise get. Why is it so bad you'd get kicked from a room for using it?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2011, 12:05:48 pm »

Apparently it's too "cheap" or something like that. I don't know.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2011, 12:48:00 pm »

Silly tourneyfags and their silly rules.

Anyone playing? I started playing again just know.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2011, 01:09:21 pm »

I would recommend just going into freeplay mode and experimenting with the different joints.
Tried doing that. My guy moves like a mix between an eel and a drunken hobo.

It looks infinitely cooler though.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2011, 01:28:19 pm »

Why is it so bad you'd get kicked from a room for using it?
It looks horrible, makes no sense from a movement point of view, and makes it horrendously easy for the other party to dismember you.
That's not to say that that's much of a difference if your opponent is skilled, but...
Basically, using holdall has become a sign of inexperience.  It gets you kicked from the "higher" rooms for those reasons.  Don't make the same mistake I did.  Kick the habit early.
[Relaxall] looks infinitely cooler though.
That too.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2011, 02:56:41 pm »

So, people don't like a certain tactic, simply because it looks like it's an inexperienced move, and so ban it?

I don't follow.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2011, 03:03:34 pm »

Its as silly as it looks. Its understandable in some modes, but in some holdall is actualy needed, unless you know a magical way to win at aikido while in relaxall.

Plus after the first few turns, there's nearly no difference between holdall and relaxall. Its mostly an arbritary decision that only actualy counts for some mods.

Its also nigh pointless in others, most of my starter moves in taekwondo/kickbox include flexing so many joints at the same time that leaving the only parts I don't touch relaxed makes nearly no difference.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 04:14:34 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2011, 04:02:04 pm »

Why is it so bad you'd get kicked from a room for using it?
It looks horrible, makes no sense from a movement point of view, and makes it horrendously easy for the other party to dismember you.
That's not to say that that's much of a difference if your opponent is skilled, but...
Basically, using holdall has become a sign of inexperience.  It gets you kicked from the "higher" rooms for those reasons.  Don't make the same mistake I did.  Kick the habit early.
[Relaxall] looks infinitely cooler though.
That too.

Translation: I'm such a pro and if you don't play like me you're a stupid little n00blet and I'll ban you.

Nice elitist attitude there.

The only valid point you have is that you're easier to dismember, but that's easily fixed by having some foresight and relaxing the joints that are in danger or getting out of the way.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2011, 05:19:35 pm »

Arg, I hate shovellers in Aikedo, they are the cause of much hair loss. Seriously, I just was on a three win streak in Aikedo, with me superior tactics and skills dominating the opposition, and then a shoveller comes along and uses that cheap-ass move...
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2011, 05:23:42 pm »

Well obviously your tactics aren't that superior if they can't cope with a shoveler ;)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2011, 05:24:01 pm »

Arg, I hate shovellers in Aikedo, they are the cause of much hair loss. Seriously, I just was on a three win streak in Aikedo, with me superior tactics and skills dominating the opposition, and then a shoveller comes along and uses that cheap-ass move...

Shoveller?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2011, 05:46:53 pm »

Shoveller?
It's more than likely one of those holdall "techniques" I was advocating against.
Translation: I'm such a pro and if you don't play like me you're a stupid little n00blet and I'll ban you.

Nice elitist attitude there.
Gee, I wonder if you even read what I was saying.
I'm a victim (granted, this was a long time ago, but it holds true) of said elitism.
After I converted, I found there really wasn't any reason to have been using it in the first place, apart from the simplicity for noobs.  And so that's what happens.

I don't really care what you do all that much.   But don't come whining to me when people start complaining about your playstyle.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2011, 05:59:20 pm »

Uh... I am doing free play, and after practicing with having myself fall for a bit at the start, I am now grabbing my opponent's ass with both hands, and am off my feet, almost on my knees... Any suggestions on how to finish them, that is not a joke? I already thought of all of the jokes you can make, so don't bother.
Set dismembermenttreshold to 20 and rip him a new one?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19