Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Infections in 31.25(Solution: have another guy bite off the infected bits!)  (Read 3658 times)

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are infections still 100% inevitably fatal? I'm a godlike hero who everyone worships for killing night creatures and bandits, but both my ears, my nose, and my right thumb are infected and broken open. Am I just going to spontaneously drop dead in a few game months?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 11:34:43 pm by truckman1 »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Infections in the new version
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 12:43:19 pm »

hows your disease rest. and your recupation stats they help keep you alive longer and help heal infects if they body part can heal
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 01:18:09 pm »

Average recuperation, Above Average Disease Resistance.
Hm, I probably should have put disease resist as high as it can go in character creation since it can't be trained. Does Recuperation help with diseases? I know it helps wounds heal faster, but would it actually help with wounds that usually never heal, like cartilage and nails (which are what is broken)?

If my infections are in fact killing me veeeeeeery slowly, I guess I can either just accept that and try to get as much glory as possible (this version I'm trying to NOT just kill all sentient beings I come across, for once). Or I can retire this guy (Corud Dangerforests, the Viper of Cities), make a new adventurer, find this guy in his sleep, tear off his ears/nose/anything infectable since he can totally survive the bleeding, then get killed by Corud once he wakes up. I can then unretire him and resume being awesome. Still, this would be so much easier if we could target ourselves for emergency surgery.

Wait, can I rip off fingers too without any consequences? The fact mittens don't impede dexterity makes me think that as long as my hand is there I'll be able to grasp just fine. Would there be any cons to removing my extraneous bits? Becuase I know fireproofing yourself bu melting your fat off removes the fat's ability to cushion blows to bones and guts.
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 01:33:21 pm »

Or I can retire this guy (Corud Dangerforests, the Viper of Cities), make a new adventurer, find this guy in his sleep, tear off his ears/nose/anything infectable since he can totally survive the bleeding, then get killed by Corud once he wakes up. I can then unretire him and resume being awesome. Still, this would be so much easier if we could target ourselves for emergency surgery.

Try this. It would be worth it just for the !!Science!!, never mind saving your guy's life.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2011, 02:52:51 pm »

and this is why this game is the best game.
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2011, 03:15:33 pm »

I recommend maxing out biting and wrestling.

For the mental image if nothing else.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 05:21:45 pm »

Currently on my way to my old guy with my new guy(or girl, I think I'm female now. Not that gender matters in this game. Especially not when This character only exists to bite off my old characters fingers).

I'll report back soon.

Okay, it's going to be annoying looking for him in all these houses. Will he still have the title Elite Wrestler or whatever? Or will his name actually be visible initially since hes not some random peasant?
Will I draw him out if I start massacring the entire village? I'll get owned then, but at least I'd thin out the population.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 05:38:39 pm by truckman1 »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 06:21:04 pm »

DO IT DO IT

dont trust me any miners, woodcutters, and hunters no including the odd soldier or the adventurer your trying find will SERIOUS FUCK YOU trust me on that i came form a dwarf civ with full party of dwarfs (modded game) in full steel and we lost i surived with two others after getting ran out of town with 7 arrows a carving knife 2 bolts a cotton candy hand axe and one iron spear lodged in my lower body and legs atleast dont try it in a crowded room one flase move and its all over
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 06:28:41 pm »

Currently on my way to my old guy with my new guy(or girl, I think I'm female now. Not that gender matters in this game. Especially not when This character only exists to bite off my old characters fingers).

I'll report back soon.

Okay, it's going to be annoying looking for him in all these houses. Will he still have the title Elite Wrestler or whatever? Or will his name actually be visible initially since hes not some random peasant?
Will I draw him out if I start massacring the entire village? I'll get owned then, but at least I'd thin out the population.

The problem with this approach is the possibility of a random lethal crit to Retired McMurderbeard's head. Unlikely, but since you won't be looking at their names, it's entirely conceivable that you kill him and not realize until you come back later and don't find him. Since it's your game, though, it's ultimately your call.

I'll try something like it.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 06:31:37 pm »

He should be called either wrestler or soldier, in my experience.
I'm looking foward to seeing how this works, I've wanted to try something similiar for a while! :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 06:44:36 pm »

Welp, I had to do it over the course of 2 nights, since if I got all his fingers, nose and ears at once he bled to death. But anyway, I unretired him, and found he can in fact still grasp with his hands. Success!! My infections are gone and my hands don't have any useless dangly bits whose only purpose is to get infected and smashed (apparently)!

Of course, since he can't wear those jillions of stupid trinkets retired adventurers wear anymore, when i unretired him he was holding 7 pages worth of jewelry in his hands. It took about 5 minutes to drop them all  ::)

callahan.44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 06:54:13 pm »

I'm thinking about trying the trick of making my adventurer a member of a fortress so they can heal him up in hospital. Probably keep them busy for months with all the smashed toes and fingers.
"I had it all. I had a fortress that was very decent, a military that was getting very respectable. I was close to being complete."
"Shit man, now it's all gone."

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 07:12:04 pm »

If we have ‼Success‼, then the OP and title should be updated to mention that you have a solution. Infections are really a bane to adventurers, and a widely-known solution would be pretty great. Even Especially if that solution is biting off your old adventurer's extremities.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2011, 07:18:01 pm »

Dwarf Fortress: Where a random stranger barging into your house and biting off your digits, ears and nose is a good thing.

In other words, nice job figuring out how to save your hero from infections! I may be totally wrong here, but i don't think that's been done an awful lot of times. This comes from a .18 guy though. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did I do it right? I've never changed a thread title before
Pages: [1] 2