Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Waste, sewers and all the other dirty things.  (Read 11906 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Re: Waste, sewers and all the other dirty things.
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2011, 08:20:41 am »

...For now at least.

This is where we're differing I think. There is no sewage in DF either ...for now at least. What I am suggesting is that multiple liquids need to be supported before it is worth implementing sewage.
And what would that other liquid be?

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 12:29:48 pm »

...For now at least.

This is where we're differing I think. There is no sewage in DF either ...for now at least. What I am suggesting is that multiple liquids need to be supported before it is worth implementing sewage.

Acid, and blood should become a liquid and act like one.

Dwarfs/other non-aquatic things should be able to drown in 7/7 pools of blood, mercury is also a possible liquid.
Hello.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2011, 01:07:11 pm »

...For now at least.

Acid, and blood should become a liquid and act like one.

Dwarfs/other non-aquatic things should be able to drown in 7/7 pools of blood, mercury is also a possible liquid.
Yes, Cesium too! And Liquid Helium is a MUST HAVE! And Transuranic gluon Plasma too!...No. Stop it. Yes, Booze and vomit are the sort of things I would like to see as liquids(Plus milk) but that is not what we were discussing anyways.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2011, 02:06:59 pm »

blood, mercury, milk, etcv have no business being liquids, you'll never find them in enough quantities. meanwhile, a good interaction between liquid waste and water hasn't been proposed yet. it "contaminates water and then turns into water a few months later" is not a good interaction, nor has anyone explained how that would happen.
i for one am against waste as a liquid, it should be a contaminant like blood is now.reworking the contaminant system, and quantum item stacking, should be a priority before we can seriously think of adding a meaningful waste system

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2011, 02:11:04 pm »

blood, mercury, milk, etcv have no business being liquids, you'll never find them in enough quantities.

I challenge this strongly there will be blood.
Hello.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2011, 02:16:51 pm »

well, it might make sense and be somewhat cool if there were rivers of blood in hell, or pools of blood in evil temples, etc, but creature blood should be treated as a different thing: it would never stack in enough quantities, one 7/7 box of blood would require literally hundreds, possibly thousands of corpses

ETV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2011, 04:16:12 pm »

well, it might make sense and be somewhat cool if there were rivers of blood in hell, or pools of blood in evil temples, etc, but creature blood should be treated as a different thing: it would never stack in enough quantities, one 7/7 box of blood would require literally hundreds, possibly thousands of corpses

No problem.

The very idea of having a moat of blood for anyone's fortress is motivation enough, people will use grates to get as much goblin/elf blood as possible in battles, not to mention trap munching machines like spikes.
Hello.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2011, 11:55:27 pm »

Thing is, sewage for a settlement of 200 people isn't that big of a deal.

even today in places like Iraq, waste just gets flushed into the streets into shallow ditches, maybe into a pond where the residents might occasionally set fire to it. Even without cheap fuel, medieval people just pooped in buckets, tossed some saw dust or dirt over it and buried it when it got full. Doesn't require a rework of the fluid system or a silly new mechanic to model dorfs heeding their call to nature.

When you talk about thousands of people, then sure. Human cities will have sewage, but it doesn't need a new mechanism to model it.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2011, 02:14:24 am »

even today in places like Iraq, waste just gets flushed into the streets into shallow ditches, maybe into a pond where the residents might occasionally set fire to it. Even without cheap fuel, medieval people just pooped in buckets, tossed some saw dust or dirt over it and buried it when it got full. Doesn't require a rework of the fluid system or a silly new mechanic to model dorfs heeding their call to nature.

When you talk about thousands of people, then sure. Human cities will have sewage, but it doesn't need a new mechanism to model it.
Youre symply not dwafy enough.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2011, 02:51:57 am »

200 people living underground is another matter entirely. Even badgers dig latrines in their dens, bury their crap and then still have to abandon the den when it gets too smelly. And there's only about 10-20 of them. I'm not suggesting every fortress needs something like the Parisian sewer system but an underground fortress could get very unpleasant very quickly if no consideration is taken. Medieval fortresses had latrines that hung over the moat. Using a bucket would be a decent solution, but you would need to keep finding new places to bury it or have dwarfs carry it outside for the elves. Of course while miasma doesn't travel diagonally there will be an easy way out.

blood, mercury, milk, etc have no business being liquids, you'll never find them in enough quantities.

Temples that flow with blood are going to happen eventually even if people have to capture multiple sieges to get a decent stream. And having a Queen that bathes in milk doesn't seem that unreasonable. Besides I think that anything that can be stored in barrels should be treated as a liquid for when a bunch of those barrels get smashed. There is a thread about large scale booze storage here that sounds good too: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84274.0

i for one am against waste as a liquid, it should be a contaminant like blood is now.reworking the contaminant system, and quantum item stacking, should be a priority before we can seriously think of adding a meaningful waste system

It doesn't have to be a liquid but there is a lot of demand for more liquids anyway. Whether it's improved liquids, or contaminants and stacking, I agree it doesn't make sense to tackle this one yet. Either way the groundwork for it will have other benefits and adding waste would then be a small addition that gives a new consideration for fortress design.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2011, 07:18:35 am »

Lol! Thats another one of my threads!  8)
That means I solve my own problem.  :P ...not.

Regular waste IS dumped into the rivers and ponds(In your pesky ammerica at least) and it does eventually decompose and get filtered if you leave it there long enough. But it all depends on proportions. Perhaps if a 7 tile of liquids has 6 water and 1 waste then the waste DOES filter out over time. But if the tile has less than 5 water and more waste, then the waste will turn into solid waste(Of the appropriate kind).

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2011, 10:28:58 am »

(In your pesky ammerica at least)

What makes you think I'm from the former colonies  ????

and it does eventually decompose and get filtered if you leave it there long enough.

I don't know what you think decomposition is but it doesn't involve transforming sewage into water. It becomes manure. As for filtered I'm not sure what you mean but it will fall to the bottom if the water is still. I've fallen into lakes often enough to tell you that there's plenty of mud at the bottom, often at least waist deep.

You could filter sewage out of water but I'm not sure if that's "period" and it would still have to go somewhere.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2011, 11:02:10 am »

Fine! How then do you get rid of crap in the ocean. If it didnt disappear then we would all be swimming in it.

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2011, 12:08:24 pm »

Fine! How then do you get rid of crap in the ocean. If it didnt disappear then we would all be swimming in it.

It disperses, I think, then gets consumed by plankton and fed back into the food chain. Presumably some of it also ends up on the sea bed but I don't think much goes to waste in the oceans. Dumping in the ocean would certainly be an option for coastal dwarfs. But that is a lot more water than they're likely to be using in a cesspit.

Wikipedia articles on cesspits and septic tanks mention the maintenance required to deal with the build up of solids.

Apparently as the waste decomposes you get a scum on the surface and a sediment underneath with a fairly clear liquid between them. If you don't clear out the sediment from a cesspit it will overflow. Which could be Fun, but not much fun.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2011, 01:32:17 pm »

Thing is, moving water would be something that is used to remove waste. Waste would'nt become a liquid in and of itself. Waste would just be a substance layer, like vomit or blood, which would contaminate/ propagate in water, which ultimately removes it. The alternative is waste just getting piled up to be removed with the cleaning labor or removed by rain/ weather after a bit. The stuff decomposes, after all.

Or turns to soil; or critters eat it; or whatever. What I'm getting out of this discussion is that if it is simplified too much, it's unrealistic and therefore shouldn't be added, but if it's too realistic, it's too complicated worth doing. There's a lot that needs to be added to make Dwarf Fortress more "realistic."

Making an even more elaborate system for modelling waste is an even worse idea. I think this is probably one of those things that can be abstracted a bit, if represented at all.

This is an abstraction. If you want it to be more realistic, Dwarves can have their moods affected by their bowel movements, which is dependent on the quality and type of food they eat, and the quality of the butcher and cook. We could be discussing implementing diseases based on lack of waste management, etc.

When dealing with suggestions such as these, I always ask myself a few things (in no particular order): 1). Can the suggestion operate uniquely? Is there another element within the game that can be used for this suggestion? 2). Will this be forced to change other properties in the game? 3). Can this suggestion make old ideas or new ideas work easier? 4). Does this suggestion enhance gameplay?

Well, let's review the facts: This is an abstraction of life's waste management system, in that it only focuses on that waste is produced and must be managed on a fortress-level. This means that cat's burial practice is ignored, and that texture and consistency and gastro-efficiency of a creature is ignored. Waste is waste, it can be composted and turned into fertilizer.

So, 1). This suggest does operate uniquely, with the exception of crossing into water, which has everyone up in a snag (and in other threads about this, as well). 2). Some people want to argue that better flow properties are demanded for this to work properly. I'd say it's not, but we'll go into that later. Nothing needs to be changed otherwise, other than implementing new labors (composting and prioritization of waste cleaning); dwarves who deal with compost probably won't have to wash their hands with soap, because we aren't interested (yet) with the health risks of handling waste (I'd talk about wounds getting infected, but wounds get infected without soap nearly all the time, so I don't think there's much a reason to discuss it any further); the reason why a player should handle waste is because of miasma, which already has its own mechanics. 3). This suggested mechanic, if done properly, can also deal with other semi-solids: By introducing semi-solid waste, you can also introduce semi-solid soil which can cause people to get stuck. Quicksand and mud, for instance. This also introduces a new fertilizer mechanic, which is great because it adds new elements into the farming system. 4). This suggestion allows for a few things in gameplay that wasn't there before: Specifically, fortress design is going to have to account for waste storage and disposal; it allows for idiotically immature things to happen in Adventure mode (The spinning XXXX hits the Goblin in the head and bruises the muscle!"). So why not?

For the water-problem, here is what I have:
1). Flowing water. A pile in flowing water moves one or two units to the next adjacent tile, to the direction of flow; if the square already has waste in it, it stacks or pushes it down one, until there's only 1/1 per available tile, or until it can no longer flow. It cannot block water, so it just moves aside. Such a mechanic can also be applied to causing light objects to be pushed around by water flow. Contaminate is not cumulative, and it dissipates slowly over time at a rate of the amount per square. Therefore, more waste in a body of water means it takes longer to purify itself with flow. This isn't entirely realistic, as quantity of waste actually impacts duration and severity; for the purposes of gameplay, however, that's not necessary. Once water is contaminated, dwarves won't use it for cleaning wounds or drinking, so there's no reason to track it anymore than that. It should all dissipate evenly so the game doesn't have to track a population of waste and try to figure out which one is the most upstream or downstream. A river filled with 1/5 waste all around cleans out faster than a river with one square at 5/5 caught at the edge of a bend. Flowing water over waste does not produce miasma, but dwarves working near it might have unhappy thoughts.
2). Standing water. Waste dissipates evenly outward from where it stands until it can either move no longer, or each square has 1/5 waste. All water is instantly contaminated until all waste dissipates as above. Waste-saturated water does not produce miasma, but dwarves working near it might have unhappy thoughts.
3). Waste on the ground in rain paths to the next adjacent square; this could be accomplished by just tracking the direction of the next z-level drop, and just moving it to the next square there. Why this? Because it can also be used for mudflows. Be !!FUN!! to have a whole hill with trees and all move that way over your fort, forcing you to clean everything out or build around it. This might produce miasma, but outside, miasma doesn't do anything.

This sort, though, shouldn't have more mechanics that what I've just described: Waste produces miasma, therefore it's important to deal with miasma. Standing water diffuses waste, flowing water pushes it downstream. It goes away on a set period of time (at the end of the season if it's in the first half of the season, or if it's in the second half of the season, to the end of the next season? Something like that). Flow mechanics of semi-solids, which is just simple one-square at a time pathing, could be used for sand or mud.  The raws that define semi-solid waste can also be used for semi-solid substances, which are too granular or too moist to be considered true solids.

By handling waste as an "activity" that a dwarf has to perform, like period cleaning or trimming of hairs, eating, sleeping, whatever, you add in another layer of daily dwarven life. You can leave it in the halls and have your peasants clean it up, or you can build elaborate dwarvenly sewer systems to wash it away and keep miasma from forming. The flow of semi-solids might not be a hindrance on FPS, as it the calculation cycles don't have be done every frame (instead one could calculate the flow of semisolids piecemeal and draw it piecemeal).

Either way, this level of abstraction is perfect for such a system and it doesn't get into too much of the ridiculous or the vulgar.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6