Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Waste, sewers and all the other dirty things.  (Read 11880 times)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
Re: Waste, sewers and all the other dirty things.
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2011, 11:04:54 pm »

I have to disagree with that sentiment, that it will be easily managed and become a mere annoyance in the end rather than a late game challenge.

Early on, a small settlement of dwarves can easily use an above ground latrine or underground one and compost, and handle all their waste needs.  Simple and easy, sure.  As the settlement grows the need for SOME form of waste management system will be inevitable.

If you're thinking that all a player has to do is set up a good sewer system from the outset and add on over time, you're absolutely correct.  Just like all you need to do is set up a fully functioning and defended fortress from the beginning, add on to it over time, and not make mistakes to avoid Fun.  It's rarely that easy, even for players that spend inordinate amounts of time pre-planning and mapping their fortress.  Sure, highly skilled and hardcore players will easily overcome the challenge of waste management (as they have all others), but your Joe Everydwarf player is going to find himself waist deep in whatsit one day, with goblins banging down the doors, dwarves tantruming, a Forgotten Beast in the lower halls, AND infection and rot from a backed up sewer.  It's going to take a lot of practical considerations to avoid this fate, and I think it would add an excellent late game challenge.

In the last thread about this (linked earlier), I mentioned how an entire castle was lost because of an ill-considered toilet added on at the last minute.  The fact is, in REAL LIFE entire sieges can be won or lost based on this, and not just because of the smell or impact on health and the like.  One of the cardinal rules of defense in Dwarf Fortress is having ONE way in and out; the fewer entrances, the fewer weak spots, the less likely you are to be caught off guard by an invader.  A mislaid sewer will end up allowing sneaky trolls and goblins inside, or worse (particularly if besieging forces get the ability to tunnel or invade from below later on).  Adding on to the sewer WITHOUT breaching a cavern or missing a grate, or something like that will add a challenge.

As for the immaturity and gross-ness aspect, I feel that calling it "filth" and leaving it at that is simple enough.  It's not graphic or overly descriptive, we don't need it to impact dwarf moods in any respect (to avoid Urist McSanitary "enjoyed a good latrine/toilet recently"), and juvenile people can and will do what they please anyway.  It's not like the rest of us HAVE to fling poo in adventurer mode because we CAN.  As others have said, they can already mod in extremely tasteless, crude, and juvenile things anyway.  Adding one interesting feature is not going to give them any more ammo than the limitless options they already possess.

Just my thoughts on the matter.  I think it would add an exceptional level of difficulty, personally.  I find planning and building cisterns and wells for my hospitals difficult enough to manage in a fortress.  I for one would struggle to manage both overall production, water supply, AND a seperate sewage and compost system, and if you're not struggling, it's not DF.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Doomchild-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2011, 02:49:43 am »

It may add realism but is adding that type of realism good or bad? For instance you could argue that tropical diseases like malaria should be added because it makes the game more realistic and adds more challenge. but would it be any fun to have half of your fortress become sick without anything being able to be done about it? no.  I think that is would add bad realism.

Fun caused by adding waste, sewers, etc, would not be inescapable. as for your comment on half your fortress falling ill without being able to act on it... 2 words: deadly, dust.

many parts of dwarf fortress are unrealistic, and for good reason. for instance would it be a good idea to add 10+ filler proffessions just to make tools? no it would be pointless and thats why it is abstracted out.

there's a big difference between 'abstracting complicated creation processes' and 'abstracted to the point it's not even noticed by anyone' which is kinda odd considering any form of society, from cavemen to modern cities, have always had to deal with waste and ways to get rid of it. i'd even go so far as to say that over the course of history, more lives have been lost due to poor wastemanagement/hygene than all the wars put together.

exactly what does it add to gameplay? let me name a few recources ingame and what they give back. food= keeps dwarves alive booze= keeps dwarves happy cats= clear out pests and give meat, bones, and leather. the way you want waste implemented= keeps dwarves from being sad if gotten rid of and fertilizes fields (we already have potash for that) The major diffrence is that this is a recource that you would produce, despite them having no worth whatsoever. as opposed to other recources you produce because you want them.

what about vermin? they're an annoyance at best, they clog up my refuse piles, if i try to keep the outside of my fortress clean by allowing dwarves to collect trash from outside i risk loosing dwarves to an ambush because they were going to collect a butterfly killed by a cat... sure you can catch them and tame them for pets/eat them in emergencies, etc, but aside from spiders they dont really add anything to the game, yet everyone just goes with it without even questioning it. as for waste not being a usuable resource, there's been countless ideas proposed in this thread alone, some original, others downright crazy, but all seemed very dwarfy to me.

Most chalenges in games do give something back. So that completing the challenge feels rewarding for instance, in RPGs if you defeat a strong creature, they drop strong loot thus rewarding the player for completing the challenge. In an FPS you might be rewarded with a cool new gun or a big explosion.

again, if you've read some of the suggestions here, you'd see that there's lots of potention for added content and possible !!FUN!! from adding waste. just because you cant think of any benefits doesnt mean that there are none.

Also how does designing a sewer add to late game difficulty? you design it once and keep on updating it the more dwarves come until you rech about 200 dwarves. then it is never a challenge again because you dont need to worry about updating it.

It would just become a pointless recource that people would take 5 minutes in the beggining to deal with, 10 minutes in midgame to deal with. and 15 minutes lategame to deal with. and it wouldnt add much to gameplay.

following that logic, designing housing for your dwarves is just as pointless, it can easily be done with repetitive patterns, just needs some expanding as you get more migrants, eventually migrations stop and you never have to look at it again. it's sole purpose is to keep your dwarves happy and in fact it's not even that important as you can easily get away with just a common dorm room and putting some extra statues in the dininghall. talking about pointless, the entire military part of dwarf fortress can be made pointless by one lever or a heavily trapped corridor. dwarves dont mind running around naked so why bother setting up a clothing industry. there is so much about dwarf fortress that can be as pointless as you want it to be. in fact, come to think of it, the entire game is just another waste of time, so why still play it?

just because you cant see the point to it, doesnt mean noone else is going to go all out designing elaborate sewer systems or complicated constructions using this new mechanic. i guarantee that if this were added to the game, it would no time before someone here posted a thread containing !!SCIENCE!! on the subject and would come up with something completely mad dwarfy.

tl;dr: all mechanics in dwarf fortress can be as simple or elaborate as you want them to be, adding waste would add another layer of design challenges which could either be bypassed with a simple inspirationless solution or dealt with with an complicated over-designed construction (with the mandatory amount of Magma).

if you really, really, really, really, really wouldn't want this added to your game, ask for an option to disable it in the ini files like you can with economics... and aquifers... and invasions... and while you're at it, why not go a stroll in the forest, sniff some flowers, chase some butterflies and hang with the rest of the elves, while we real dwarves think of a megaproject involving waste, magma and !!goblins!!...

noah22223

• Bay Watcher
  • No. you fucking lose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2011, 03:04:08 am »

You people are writing Essay's about Shit. what is wrong with you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8
So I'm a Depressing Jesus Wizard being stalked by Satan Lights, and my home's wiring is going bad?
Goddammit.

Doomchild-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2011, 03:11:12 am »

be honest, this isn't the worst that's been going on on these forums :P

ticattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2011, 03:18:29 am »

exactly what does it add to gameplay? let me name a few recources ingame and what they give back. food= keeps dwarves alive booze= keeps dwarves happy cats= clear out pests and give meat, bones, and leather. the way you want waste implemented= keeps dwarves from being sad if gotten rid of and fertilizes fields (we already have potash for that)
Let's re-examine that:
Food
Requires some time to setup, occasionally more time to expand or tinker with. System largely runs itself once you've designed it. Without it, dwarves get unhappy and die.
Booze
Requires some time to setup, occasionally more time to expand or tinker with. System largely runs itself once you've designed it, unless you run out of ingredients or barrels. Without it, dwarves get unhappy.
Sewage
Requires some time to setup, occasionally more time to expand or tinker with. Without it, dwarves get unhappy and sick.
Cats
What do cats add? You can get meat and leather from other things, same as you can get fertiliser from pot ash. And I don't recall the last time my fort was destroyed by an unchecked weevil population.

You can simplify pretty much anything in the game to "setup, maintenance, consequence". And the consequences tend to come in one of three flavours: annoyance/lost productivity (badly-designed halls, out-of-the-way food stockpiles), unhappy dwarves (not enough bedrooms and no amazing dining halls, not enough variety of food, unmet demands) or instant death (not enough traps and military, going the circus without preparing for it).

As far as I can see, "waste" isn't really the focus. The focus is "sewage systems". Hells, call it "plumbing", and tie it in with aqueducts and bathouses. When a dwarf is covered in kitten blood and goes for a wash, where does that kitten blood-filled water go? Do you have a way to wash away forgotten beast dust or blood and keep it safely locked away? Can we have pipes running through a furnace to purify the water, or running through some other piece of equipment to extract the substances to make fertiliser? If you have an inactive cistern, does the water go stagnant? Will it breed mosquitoes and give everyone malaria?

And why not malaria? You can't control it, sure. You can take steps to make it more or less likely - don't embark on a swamp, for example. Or have mosquito nets. You can't control forgotten beast-induced epidemics, you can't control badgers murdering your woodcutters, you can't control a mood wanting shells and the resulting tantrum spiral taking out half your fortress. Should we take those out?

There's a lot of stuff that could be tied together under "plumbing and hygiene". Dwarfdung is just one of many potentially interesting possibilities.

The major diffrence is that this is a recource that you would produce, despite them having no worth whatsoever. as opposed to other recources you produce because you want them.
I don't want ghosts either. Until properly weaponised, they have no worth.

Most chalenges in games do give something back. So that completing the challenge feels rewarding for instance, in RPGs if you defeat a strong creature, they drop strong loot thus rewarding the player for completing the challenge. In an FPS you might be rewarded with a cool new gun or a big explosion.
Other than a pretty statue, what does a bronze collossus give you? I could make that statue a lot more easily. What reward does setting up a booze industry give you? Nothing, really. It's the lack of it that hurts - same as a sewage system.

Also how does designing a sewer add to late game difficulty? you design it once and keep on updating it the more dwarves come until you rech about 200 dwarves. then it is never a challenge again because you dont need to worry about updating it.
Also how does designing a [strike]sewer[/strike] food industry add to late game difficulty? you design it once and keep on updating it the more dwarves come until you rech about 200 dwarves. then it is never a challenge again because you dont need to worry about updating it.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2011, 10:22:11 am »

probably already mentioned... but going to mention it again.

It's already a headache making water-pipes for irrigation and wells and other things work in DF right now. Throwing in a sewer system exponentially increases that problem because now you have to ensure either the sewer system runs on a COMPLETELY different network, or that NOTHING is down stream from it...

disease is such a huge problem at the moment that it's just going to make the beginning of the game even TOUGHER on newbies.

And while this is certainly the best built idea I've seen, still doesn't correct those problems...

Honestly, if we have it, just have it as a built thing like a well that has to be built above a refuse stockpile... new things are spawned in the refuse piles based upon the fact that there's an "outhouse" above them. Things like niter crystals or "fertilizer" that could be used elsewhere. None of the mess. Most of the benefits. And if it has to be implemented, let it be implemented THAT way... as cleanly as possible, with minimal squick, and minimal hassal to implement and still have some benefits of being able to "use waste"

if people INSIST, animals in pastures can occasionally produce "fertilizer" as well -.-;

edit: my other problem with this entire thing is simply that it's got an enormously high squick factor. We already have "chunky salsa combat health system" with enormously graphic detail... quite a few people I've introduced to the game stopped playing for that reason ALONE.

And just to reemphasize the whole "takes time to set up" thing...... it takes time to set up yes, but unlike ALL the others, it ACTIVELY punishes you for fucking up in a very real and terrible way >> You screw up and suddenly you have MANY more unhappy dwarves than usual, possibly sick and dieing dwarves. At least in the cases of food, water, refuse, and booze when you set up those systems they do not ACTIVELY punish you for screwing it up (well refuse does, but in such a SMALL and controllable way that it's not difficult to avoid the problems associated with it)

Finally >> I fail to see WHY a new system should be implemented for something that is basically a squickier form of refuse o_O; we already have miasma and rotting stuff... if we're going to do this, then let's do it in a way that works with what is already in the game, requires minimal programing, and is as germain as physically possible... IF we're going to do this... again, against the entire thing in the first place -.- but refuse to see something done badly even if I dislike the concept.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 10:29:30 am by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2011, 01:40:50 pm »

no.

there's already enough family friendly dumbed down games. dwarf fortress is already absurdly easy for me, for you, and for most people in this forum, let's not argue for dumbed down gameplay for the sake of the newbies or we'll have another spore in our hands

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2011, 02:23:37 pm »

To be honest I think this is probably the best suggestion of this type and I'd really have nothing against the implementation. I like a challenge. It'd be cool. Maybe it'll be easier when we get fluid transporting pipes.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2011, 04:07:55 pm »

Well, I think waste management is a bit trivial currently – it's gotten easier actually, save for fluids magically respawning which is currently cosmetic – and requiring dwarves to shlep buckets of waste/filth to larger/more numerous waste pits makes sense and may actually result in small amounts of miasma being an issue again. I also like the idea of dwarves preferring to crap out of sight.

Also I think it would encourage people to house their non-grazing animals somewhere outside of the dining room! :D

I think having additional, more accessible refuse stockpiles and more buckets (they'd get tagged as "waste buckets") should be the baseline approach. But, it should be possible and dwarfy to set up a proper sewage system, eliminating the intermittent miasma generated by a full-sized settlement and being a use for pipes as well.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2011, 04:10:19 pm »

To add my two cents ; how about two types of toilet... an open hole where dwarves can void directly into whatever's underneath it (running water, magma, a deep trench, etc.), and a chamberpot that has to be routinely emptied into a designated zone by the poor dorfs assigned to garbage-hauling. The simplest system could be a single clay pot that gets occasionally dumped outside someplace.

And as far as the debate goes on what to call the offending matter, I suggest nightsoil. It just sounds way more medievally.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2011, 12:15:05 am »

And as far as the debate goes on what to call the offending matter, I suggest nightsoil. It just sounds way more medievally.
This.

Also, I do not support treating nightsoil as a moving liquid due to the resulting increased complexity. Instead, it should be treated as an object, which generates miasma at periodic intervals before eventually decaying into fertilizer, and disappears in water, turning it brown and undrinkable (and since it will not disappear in water that has already been contaminated, flowing water will be neccesary).
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

ticattack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2011, 03:08:06 am »

Also, I do not support treating nightsoil as a moving liquid due to the resulting increased complexity. Instead, it should be treated as an object, which generates miasma at periodic intervals before eventually decaying into fertilizer, and disappears in water, turning it brown and undrinkable (and since it will not disappear in water that has already been contaminated, flowing water will be neccesary).
That works, and dissolves a lot of the issues. Good one.

Also, I third "nightsoil".

To add my two cents ; how about two types of toilet... an open hole where dwarves can void directly into whatever's underneath it (running water, magma, a deep trench, etc.), and a chamberpot that has to be routinely emptied into a designated zone by the poor dorfs assigned to garbage-hauling. The simplest system could be a single clay pot that gets occasionally dumped outside someplace.
I see three levels:
1) A trench. Maybe this could be added as an option in the dig menu, as it has other applications. Basically, I see a trench as a narrow, shorts channel. You can walk across it, it doesn't take up the whole square and, if filled with liquid, can only carry up to 2 or 3. Aside from possible future defence options (fill it with spikes, oil to light, etc.), it could be used to make any sort of water system easier to set up, which has benefits beyond sanitation.
But I digress. On-topic, a trench would be dug outsided, used for a while, slowly fill and then be buried over and a new one dug in another tile. I'm unsure what the long-term effects are. Is this soil now more fertile? Does it become so after a season of being buried over?
This system is almost instant to setup, but requires a little micromanagement and won't cope with many dwarves.
2) An outhouse or chamberpot: This is what Dynastia describes. Requires some labour, but is infinitely reusable. Designate a zone over a river or into the caverns (or a volcano), and dwarves will dump it there. You could also designate an area for compost or decomposition. Perhaps this could be expanded to rotting meat, dead crops and plants, etc.? Get fertiliser without needing to make all that ash. In theory, works for a large number of people, with a corresponding increase in labour needed.
3) Plumbing. Not required in all fortresses, but useful, in the same way a magma piston is useful, but not required. A system of flowing water runs beneath certain rooms, washing away whatever is dropped in from above. This could be a communal latrine (as in ancient Rome), private bathrooms or stalls, as the many modern societies have, or even a place to empty chamberpots without walking outside.

edit: my other problem with this entire thing is simply that it's got an enormously high squick factor. We already have "chunky salsa combat health system" with enormously graphic detail... quite a few people I've introduced to the game stopped playing for that reason ALONE.
There are valid arguments to be had over the difficulty of setting up, over what it might add to the game. It's probably obvious which side of these arguments I stand on, but I do recognise that these are valid arguments. The "squick factor"? Not so much. I mean, I'm assuming most players have had some interaction with a toilet in their lives. It's not necessarily a pleasant thing, but then, neither is butchering kittens. Or, y'know... so I've heard. From other people. Who aren't me.

If it is considered to add something to the game, and if a system can be designed that doesn't throw something else huge at the newbies to learn or fail, and if Toady reads such arguments and sees their merit, then it should be added.

I'm honestly not sure how to respond to the argument that a combat system accurately described as "chunky salsa" might possibly, potentially be pushing it, but an outhouse and abstracted "nightsoil" is definitely crossing the line. I'm not trying to be clever, I'm actually not able to wrap my head around the notion.

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2011, 06:32:32 am »

I'm honestly not sure how to respond to the argument that a combat system accurately described as "chunky salsa" might possibly, potentially be pushing it, but an outhouse and abstracted "nightsoil" is definitely crossing the line. I'm not trying to be clever, I'm actually not able to wrap my head around the notion.
<3 salsa

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2011, 08:37:59 am »

Also, I third "nightsoil".

This. I fourth it.

As to the squick factor, I think this thread is less immature on the notion that we aren't concerning ourselves with how the nightsoil is produced, just how to deal with it. I'm more for sewage management anyway, and so far this thread has stuck to that.

Sscral

• Bay Watcher
  • привет
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2011, 04:23:01 pm »

And if this ever gets added, who wants to bet how long it will take for someone to start drowning sieges in dwarf poo? I say 5 minutes.
A three year old just made an artifact doll from the skull of his dead kitten. I can only assume the mind control lasted past death.
"Look, mommy!  Now I can play with Mister Fluffles forever!"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6