Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: Evercage, the dwarven prison [Dwarf Fortress Advanced v. 0.3.6 COMMUNITY]  (Read 31591 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evercage, the dwarven prison [Dwarf Fortress Advanced v. 0.3.6 COMMUNITY]
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2011, 02:31:28 pm »

From now on the story is told in the eyes of outsider due the death of Historian.

By the end of the day dozens of dwarves had been killed. Since the vampires had reached the interior of Evercage fifteen dwarves had been killed, last of them being the historian Keysprays.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But the slaughter wasn't over yet, oh no it wasn't. There was still seven vampires alive, running inside the fortress and slaughtering the poor civilians who were unable to defend themselves due panic. The only dwarf who was really safe from vampires was count Stronghammer who had locked himself inside his personal bedroom. The two adamantine doors were more than enough to prevent the vampires to kill him, though the lack of food would soon become a problem.

For each passing moment the number of dead dwarves was getting higher and higher. The true horror happened when one of the vampires found its way to the hospital, which was full of wounded dwarves. Full of dwarves who were too injured to defend themselves.

But did the vampire slaughter the poor dwarves? No, probably it understood that those weren't going to escape, and so it rushed towards few children who happened to stand nearby. The children were killed by few precise cuts.

The battle lasted for dozen or so days but, unlike anyone expected, finally the last vampire was dead. 13th of Granite was the day when last vampire running free was slaughtered by the archer Riderrock.

But could there be a peace in Evercage? The population had got down to one hundred and five dwarves and the general mood was terrible. Forty dwarves had died during the assault and there was only one soldier standing, other one being blinded and heavily wounded.

On the other hand the situation wasn't as terrible as it could be. From noble positions there were several survivors; Stronghammer, Channellashed, Dohon, Kilik, Alaric and three priests. Channellashed had appointed herself as the bookkeeper for now as the previous one was dead. Other dead in nobility were Ahra, Rar and Yorilda.

From notable prisoners the only survivors were the miner Karakzon, Argonnek, Lecktor and ImBocaire. Every other prisoner who had gained some fame inside the fortress were dead.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:41:04 pm by Kipi »
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2011, 02:41:51 pm »

Okay, edited a bit previous post as the Dwarf Therapist was giving false information. Karakzon survived as well and the population is 105, not 94.

Going to return to diary format in next update as I assigned new historian for the fortress.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:44:22 pm by Kipi »

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2011, 03:25:22 pm »

HOLY CARP thank armok for adamantine doors. New note to self have food and drink stored in my room, as well as personal guard. And again holy carp.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2011, 04:12:07 pm »

Yes now is the perfect time to start the rebellion  :D
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2011, 04:26:25 pm »

This was quite unexpected due how it begun. Easy siege, the attackers almost fleeing already. And then two of my best archer decide to go melee, gets slaughtered by ambushing vampires, leaving only two soldiers capable to defend, one being unable to use other hand. Blinded guards weren't useful at battle.

If only the two archers had stayed inside the vampires would have been dispatched quickly...

@Firelordsky
Yeah, the fortress will change now, there is no return to what it used to be...

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 23, 2011, 04:28:43 pm »

Die Stronghammer you will never keep us away.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 23, 2011, 04:32:15 pm »

Note from Karakzon to the baron/duke:

Request that several Adamantine door sets be made to be placed through the fortress at key points to facilitate containment of invasions/beasts/riots or other.
Small, random traps scatterd through the major corridor(s) for the purpose of wearing down attacking forcess, concentrated around the valuble doors.
A secondary drawbridge with an emergancy lever set further back in a "Panic room(s)" of some sort. Suggestion that said "Panic room(s)" be built to house a large number of dwarves with adiquate food and booze/water supplys so that our dwarves can survive a sustained seige that breaks perimiter.
A large one for your personage with some armernants, indoor fortification to facilitate active resistance of occupying forces inside of the main fortress and to be of use in the case of martial law.

The reasons being, that such would facilitate the ability of the fortress to withstand incursions that get inside for long periods of time, and not to have to risk the millatery as much, it would also allow easyer containment of contanimants from forgotten beasts and titans.

This seems much my lord, but we lost a full 1/3 of the fortress (155 to 105? sommert like a third) and improvements would go a long way to stabalizing support amoung the populance for your cause and would also, literaly, be damn usefull in the event of seige.

These are suggestions and requests, but having spent a long time digging the foundations of this fortress, even though i am but a prisoner here, (my crime is written in one of the origonal log reports, top right drawer in keywalls old office) i belive these arrangements would help protect the fortress and those in it.

Yours sinceraly

Karakzon
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 23, 2011, 07:40:55 pm »

I approve of karakzon's ideas and plans especially in regards to martial law

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2011, 09:00:48 pm »

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!  :'( you're ruining all me plans

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2011, 09:39:47 pm »

muahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha the stronghammer strikes again

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 24, 2011, 03:00:12 am »

Woah, can't believe Lecktor survived...nice job with the whole murder thing, that was cool.  What are Lecktor's stats, if you don't mind showing them?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 24, 2011, 08:26:44 am »

Ah well armok saved his life one time, the other he watched him burn before becoming one in his blazing crossbow militia with neverending quivers.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 12, 2011, 01:30:08 pm »

Chapter 7 - The Ashes of Evercage

15th of Granite, year 107

My name is Beaksack. I was chosen to be the new historian of fortress Evercage since our former historian died during the attack of vampires.

The attack is over now and it is time to start rebuilding this fortress. The current estimates are that we have barely over one hundred dwarves left, which means around forty dead ones. The vampires did not make a difference between prisoners and personnel. This fact has in a way opened they eyes of Stronghammer, who survived due the adamantine doors at his quarters. What I heard is that Keysprays would still be alive if Stronghammer had just opened the doors for a brief moment and allowed her and Dohon inside, which was the original plan. But he didn't, and now she is dead.

Even though the attack itself is over the situation is far from calm. The deaths have caused several of our citizens to become very unhappy and there has already been several tantrum incidents already. Thank god nothing has happened during those tantrums and thus Dohon has not been forced to deal justice so far.

Now, back to Stronghammer. The attack made him realize that perhaps we should have more close relations with the prisoners? I mean, perhaps we need their cooperation to survive? He isn't planning to make them equal to rest of us but at least give more freedom so that we can rebuild this fortress to former glory and even beyond that.

As you can suspect, the idea of Stronghammer that I described above didn't hit well to Channellashed. She even accused Stronghammer for being responsible of this tragedy because he dismissed the demon diplomat without considering the offer. She said that if we had had gnolls on our side then perhaps the vampires never had managed to reach this place. Now, I never was in that meeting, but according to Keysprays' logs there was no discussion about vampires with the demon, only about goblins. So such accusations are way over acceptable.

18th of Granite, year 107

All work in Siege Breaker has been halted due another collapse. This time there were casualties as one of our miners fell down with the collapse, ending directly to magma channel running beneath our forges. The body disappeared immediately and there was nothing to be done.

The collapse also caused a dust of clay to come up with boiling magma. Unfortunately Karakzon was too close and thus received terrible injuries from the splash. Hopefully he will survive as we need every hand we can get.

We also have another problem. Due the cold weather, which hasn't happened in years, all our water sources at the ground level have been frozen. This means we must go down to caverns to get some water to our patients. This ain't good.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 12, 2011, 01:34:04 pm »

Was going to continue this story but I noticed that I had accidentally deleted the save folder. No worries though, I do have backup, but it's on my girlfriend's laptop as she wanted to try DF out, but as she is currently abroad for next month or so I have no access it before she returns. So the above short update is what I had ready, going to return to this when she is back.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 12, 2011, 09:16:02 pm »

Huh, that's too bad, I hope you get the save back soon, for the sake of the fort.  How's Lecktor, btw? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16