Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: Evercage, the dwarven prison [Dwarf Fortress Advanced v. 0.3.6 COMMUNITY]  (Read 31611 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1st of Granite, year 104

Another year has begun. And with it the soldiers have new training facility constructed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Currently only the squad commanded by Rar is allowed to use the facility, and from those four soldiers the two wounded are prohibited to do any training. I believe this has something to do with the possible reassignment to the Dohon's squad, which will take place at some point.

27th of Granite, year 104

The child I was ordered to teach has finally entered the age where he can do some minor tasks. This also means that his schooling begins from this point on. Nevertheless I will still keep on writing this diary, just in case if I get tasked to teach others as well.

We also got another group of prisoners. Twenty-two dwarves entered this fortress today, among them few guards and one personnel. That's positive thing, perhaps Stronghammer will make our military stronger now and establish the guard squad under Dohon?

8th of Slate, year 104

Our miners and masons have been able to construct a safe route through the caverns bellow our fortress to reach the layers under it. Now there is this huge stairway pipe going right through the cavern, which can later be expanded to allow entrance to said cavern. Currently Stronghammer doesn't want to risk our fortress and open the access there, which is understandable since our military ain't good enough to deal the worst things that can live inside such cave system.

As our miners begun mining bellow the cave they immediately discovered a vein of iron. Stronghammer ordered that all the hematite found there must be mined and melted to iron.

21st of Slate, year 104

I have noticed that the distinction between prisoners and the staff has got a bit blurry. It seems rather common that the guards or personnel have made friends with prisoners, even though officially the prisoners are considered lower class. I have also heard that one of our guards, Keywalls, has a lover among the prisoner, the miner called Karakzon. And I just found out that the child who I'm teaching is actually a child of two prisoners. For some reason Stronghammer wanted that specific child to become something more than mere worker.

What I don't understand is why this change of attitude has happened? Has people forgotten why we are here? Our sole task was to keep dangerous prisoners away from mountain home and none of them should be trusted? I honestly can't understand, and here I'm tasked to teach this child the basics required from personnel around here. What should I teach him? Should we actually be friends with the criminals or should we behave like how the king expects us to behave? And are these criminals actually the lowest scums of our kingdom? So many questions and no answers.

22nd of Slate, year 104

We have new hero among us! Well, not hero in the military sense, but someone who is going to gain lots of new friends among the citizens of Evercage. I'm talking about Karakzon, the head miner of the fortress.

To give a better explanation of what I meant with the above lets start from the beginning. Last few weeks our miners have been digging through the stone layers frenetically. Mostly this was done to find new veins of metals, especially iron. Only short time ago they were, with the help of masons, able to get past the cavern, after which they found one vein of iron.

Now, earlier this morning I heard rumors that the miners had found something special. Something that would take our fortress to completely new level and bolster our standing among the citizens of the mountain home. Nobody seemed to know what it was until Stronghammer made an official announcement. In the announcement he claimed that the miners had found another cavern, rich of metals and wood.

Everybody seemed a bit disappointed at that. And I must admit I was too. Another cavern? Even though it is full of minerals I didn't see how such thing could be so big thing. But nothing prepared me to what Stronghammer announced next; inside the cavern Karakzon had spotted adamantine! Adamantine! I wasn't able to believe my ears and I have never seen our fortress so quiet. Everybody were shocked, though in positive way.

But the biggest surprise was still coming. Karakzon didn't spot only one but two veins of adamantine! And both veins were right next to the location where stairs would pierce the cavern!

This is extraordinary! I have never heard two veins of adamantine so close to each other. After the announcement was made Stronghammer called Dohon, Rar, Niney and Karakzon to emergency meeting. Perhaps they are figuring the safest method of reaching the veins and how much should be mined.

But what will this discovery mean to Evercage? Several things in fact. First of all item made from it are much, much more valuable, and thus our economy and wealth will gain some serious boost. This will attract the attention of mountain home, resulting more prisoners and better caravans to be sent in our direction. On the other hand it will also attract the unwanted attention. Goblins, vikings and drows come to my mind. But then again adamantine makes perfect material for weapons and armor, and thus our military will be more lethal in combat.

Everybody is anxiously waiting for the decisions about how to handle the discovery. Surely some of the precious blue metal will be mined, but how much, how and when are the questions we don't have answers yet. This also reminds me to teach Lettersea the meaning of this discovery, after all he doesn't even know what adamantine is.

6th of Felsite, year 104

The masons have finished the stairs to the bottom of the cavern. The lowest section has also been walled to prevent anything living down there to actually entering our fortress. The first vein is just west from the stairs and it should be easy to reach by miners.

Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just noticed that I have used wrong year since I begun using the diary format. Can't explain why I thought that it was year 109 at that point when it actually was 103. I have fixed all the dates to refer correct year as well as edited a bit the 21st of Limestone, year 103 -entry, as the original entry used wrong year in calculations. Not a big thing but worth of mentioning so that there are no confusions. Sorry about that...  :-[

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile

can i have a prisoner smith? a male, named metalhead.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

dragoncurse

• Bay Watcher
  • if patience.Huge = fortress.FUN.Huge
    • View Profile

'It's going... faster than I thought...'
'But still, we haven't found the Red Water...'

'...No.'
'I need... no. I MUST say that we need to fortify our fortress. If the goblins, humans, elves or vikings hear about that, we, will suffer the same ending as that fortress.'
:3

Sneaky Walrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Clever Walrus....
    • View Profile

Hey can I be dorfed for this fort please?

Class:Personal
Name: Alaric "the Mad" HeldenHammer
Job: Head of Metal works
Bio: Joined the Dwarves headed for Evercage due to a series of unfortunate events at the mountain home, resulting in him being the last of his family. However he is descended for a long line a metal smiths that have created numerous legendary weapons. Upon arrival he took control of the metal working industry in order to overhaul the current system and make it more efficient and able to create more weapons (Adamantine? ARMOK YEAH!). He is relativity empathetic towards the prisoners, aiming at giving them a chance at becoming great smiths and metal workers (working for him, naturally), but doesn't tolerate any for of dissent among his workers (Strange moods are OK mainly because they produce the legendary weapons his family is famous for).

Basically head of of all metal work and a leader that the prisoners can rally behind. 

LETS DO THIS STRONG HAMMER
Fire washes the sin off the soul and the skin off the bone. That and I can't be bothered making soap...

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile

isent keywalls dead? if so i should have the getting used to tragety or such atribute. unless you renamed someone that :P

anyways:

suggestion for isolating the veins is: cave in walls from above for the water, build the rest double pace. will also give us minor access to indoor wood, since its best to wall off the small passages to the ceiling and you end up with a nice space.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

can i have a prisoner smith? a male, named metalhead.

You got it!

Spoiler: Metalhead (click to show/hide)

Hey can I be dorfed for this fort please?

Class:Personal
Name: Alaric "the Mad" HeldenHammer
Job: Head of Metal works
Bio: Joined the Dwarves headed for Evercage due to a series of unfortunate events at the mountain home, resulting in him being the last of his family. However he is descended for a long line a metal smiths that have created numerous legendary weapons. Upon arrival he took control of the metal working industry in order to overhaul the current system and make it more efficient and able to create more weapons (Adamantine? ARMOK YEAH!). He is relativity empathetic towards the prisoners, aiming at giving them a chance at becoming great smiths and metal workers (working for him, naturally), but doesn't tolerate any for of dissent among his workers (Strange moods are OK mainly because they produce the legendary weapons his family is famous for).

Basically head of of all metal work and a leader that the prisoners can rally behind. 

LETS DO THIS STRONG HAMMER

First of all, you know that your name is going to be ridiculously long with the last name generated by DF? It's okay to me if you really want such a long name. Secondly, do you actually want to work with metals? If you are going to be personnel it means your dwarf belongs to noble caste, and nobles are basically very bad at everything else than management (bookkeeping, managing, trading etc.). I can always enable smithing labors to you but just don't expect to become legendary any time soon.

isent keywalls dead? if so i should have the getting used to tragety or such atribute. unless you renamed someone that :P
Yep, Keywalls is dead. Had to recheck as didn't remember that. Sometimes I just wished there were better indicators especially in relations screen which dwarves are dead and which are alive...  ::)
Well, at least this mistake is quite easy to fix in next entry. ;D
suggestion for isolating the veins is: cave in walls from above for the water, build the rest double pace. will also give us minor access to indoor wood, since its best to wall off the small passages to the ceiling and you end up with a nice space.
Or I could heavily trap the entrance inside the cavern and schedule one squad to be stationed there in case of FB trying to get inside. I was also considering harnessing the underground lakes for fishing and that would require open water, so walling is out of the question in that case.

Sneaky Walrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Clever Walrus....
    • View Profile

yeah I'm kinda new too the forums... :-[

Just cut the name to Alaric "the Mad"
and I don't mind being a noble who does smithing because for the first time in DF history a noble will actually be helpful to the fort
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 07:54:59 am by Sneaky Walrus »
Fire washes the sin off the soul and the skin off the bone. That and I can't be bothered making soap...

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

lol...
zombie wife? x)
j/k :P going to be interesting.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

yeah I'm kinda new too the forums... :-[

Just cut the name to Alaric "the Mad"
and I don't mind being a noble who does smithing because for the first time in DF history a noble will actually be helpful to the fort

No problems!

Here is your dwarf. I had to use Runesmith as we didn't have any male nobles left. I was careful with choosing a dwarf with no relations.
Spoiler: Alaric (click to show/hide)

Sneaky Walrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Clever Walrus....
    • View Profile

Awesome!
A Rune smith...that likes Adamantine runes....Oh we're gonna have a LOT of fun....BRING ON THE ADAMANTINE WEAPONS!

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1st of Hematite, year 104

My habit of recording the events of Evercage has been recognized by Stronghammer. As I'm the only one interested in doing that he decided to make me the official historian of Evercage. I'm honored though it means that I can't be teacher anymore because I'm expected to be where ever something happens despite the time and place. I'm supposed to be there when official negotiations are made, criminals punished and decisions are made. If anything happens I must be there to witness and record.

First thing I decided to record as the historian is the progress of adamantine mining operation. The first pieces of the precious blue metal has been mined, more specifically the first layer of the vein has been cleared. While the miners have been working with the vein our masons have been building walls to protect the vein from any wandering creature that possibly lives down there.

We also had another incident with elves few days back. They sent another caravan, this time with five merchants and their pack mules. Apparently they didn't understand that this place would only mean death to them.

As soon as the merchants reached the depot Stronghammer gave the mob squad order to slaughter them. The result was easy to foresee, without weapons the elves are just bunch of cowards who don't even defend themselves. The interesting thing is that they actually had some weapons among the other goods. Why didn't they use those? Even though we are talking about wooden armor and weapons, those would have given elves the advantage against our unarmed prisoners.

4th of Hematite, year 104

One of our priests, Basesbanner, has behaved strangely lately. She has been quiet and today she withdrew from rest of us.

She went and claimed one of our crafting workshops to herself. From experience we know that this only means item with the quality of artifact. We have seen such things here already and the history of our civilization is full of mentions of grand artifacts produced by common folk.

Mining adamantine goes well, we have been able to secure good amount of it already. We also have three dwarves assigned to process the ore to produce strands, which then can be smelted to usable form. After that our smiths can make items like weapons and armor from it. Soon our military will have superior equipment, and after that nothing can stop us!

11th of Hematite, year 104

The priestess has begun her project in carfting workshop. She spent several days in gathering materials, including stone, rough gems, platinum and bones of both elf and goblin.

The type of the item is still unknown to us, but basing on the material she has gathered it should be quite valuable. Stronghammer has shown only small interest about this, though I suspect his attitude will change as soon as the item is finished.

16th of Hematite, year 104

The artifact has been finished and it turned out to be earring.

It has lots of decorations though no images, which are quite common in dwarven artifacts. Perhaps it was too difficult to include those to a small earring? It's not my duty to question the decisions she made.

I went to see our bookkeeper to hear her opinion about the artifact. She was studying it when I entered her office, and after over an hour of examination she claimed it has value well over 100000 bucks. 104400 bucks if I'm specific. That's much more than I expected, the value comes especially from the platinum and gem decorations. The bones are just a small curiosity, as it's not common for our civilization to use the remains of our enemies in items such as this.

17th of Hematite, year 104

Stronghammer has given the order to begun constructing housing area for all prisoners. The strange thing is that the housing are will not be underground but above! Is this some kind of new punishment? At least the housing problem gets solved, as thus far the prisoners have been sleeping either in hospital or where they fell from tiredness.

The first phase is to clear all the woods from the area where the construction will come. The work is already going, though the estimation is that it will take several weeks before it's done.

The miners have also finished the tunnel which will be the entrance to the housing area. Or tower, as it would be correct to call the construction.

dragoncurse

• Bay Watcher
  • if patience.Huge = fortress.FUN.Huge
    • View Profile

'... Are you kidding me, Stronghammer?'

'No questionings, Niney. Tell me, is it possible, or not?'

'Well, if you take it on as a megaproject, yes, but I can tell you it's not going to be worth unless we get more defenses around.'

'... Why should we put more defenses around?'

'It's obvious, 'Mayor'. It's because we found the adamantine and we are EXTRACTING IT. And even though we don't know why are you planning this, even if it's for a type of punishment or not, I'm pretty sure every civilization around 50 Uristkilometers have heard we found Adamantine.'

Stronghammer surprised himself, because he almost forgot since Keywalls's Incident. But he tried not to sound surprised to Niney.

'Hm. I'll what we can do. But for now, we're going to need plans for the project, and I know I can trust you, 'Master Architect'.'

'Of course, otherwise my name isn't NINEY!'

And where the Adamantine was extracted, there was ground shakes.
:3

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

what did you do concerning keywalls and my dorf? free my dorf from that relationship?

IC:

Adamantine. never thought ide be skilled enought to be assigned to mine this out, but i suppose thats what happens when your one of the founder miners. the question is, will we be able to dig and fortify and be safe? many places in this world have sufferd the delapidations of the denezins of below, through horrendus sacrafices and blasphemus pacts. But this shall be us digging into their front door....

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

what did you do concerning keywalls and my dorf? free my dorf from that relationship?

I haven't edited anything, and I'm not sure if it's even possible to edit relations. So Keywalls is still your lover even though she is dead. I'm also fairly sure, though not 100%, that you can't have another lover or wife anymore. Have to check that.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16