Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: Evercage, the dwarven prison [Dwarf Fortress Advanced v. 0.3.6 COMMUNITY]  (Read 31594 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Most of the winter went improving the fortress. The bridge across the volcano was progressing well, few more traps had been built near the bridges at the end of the passage, new bedrooms for civilians had been under construction and so on. Life was returning to normal, but the peace didn't last long.

One day, just few weeks before the new year, alarm was sounded. The vikings were approaching the fortress from east, and it was clear that their intention was to siege and conquer Evercage.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First there was panic, but when the dwarves realized that there was only a handful of vikings, and apparently only one archer among the invaders, everybody calmed down. Stronghammer gave the order to lure the vikings close to the entrance, raise the bridges just before the invaders were able to get inside, then position the archers either above the walls or on the bridge crossing the volcano pin down any viking who was not slaughtered by the traps.

Everything went as planned, when the first viking descended from the hill east from the volcano the signal was given, the lever controlling the bridges was pulled and the access to the fortress was denied. At the same moment the archers begun running to the magma bridge, ready to shoot down any invader they can.

The vikings had no chance against the bolts of dwarves, and so the they begun to flee east, right where they came from. Several of them halted at the edge of the border, clearly unable to decide what to do. Still, even though there were only seven of vikings left the dwarves had no intention giving a pursuit, as that would have meant battle in open area, and five archers and one melee dwarf would have some serious problems against all melee vikings.

When the fight had ceased it was time to check the situation. No dwarf had injured, which wasn't a surprise, but what was surprise was that no viking had deceased either. Sure, most of the invaders were more or less injured, but none had actually died during the assault. Well, that only meant that next time there would be a bigger invading force coming towards Evercage.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The last vikings hadn't even left the territory when a new threat was spotted; a cyclop was approaching from the west, spotted by the woodcutter.

All guards were ordered to grab their weapons and armors and to rush towards the microcline bridge connecting the two sides of the river, as the cyclop had to use it to reach the fortress. The cyclop was just got to the east side of the river when the first dwarves arrived, all of them being archers.

Immediately when the cyclop was visible to them and there was nothing blocking the line the dwarves launched a series of bolts towards the now charging cyclop. The blood was everywhere as the bolts hit fast and true, piercing the skin and causing heavy wounds. In fact the wounds were so great that the cyclop begun to flee, six dwarves rushing behind it trying to catch up, releasing single bolt towards the beast here and there.

In the end the wounds were slowing the cyclop down too much, and Rar, the only dwarf wielding a melee weapon, was able catch the best, swinging his axe with all his strength. Even though the cyclop had survived from the rain of bolts, which had continued even when Rar closed the beast, the slashes from the axe were too much, and soon after the cyclop was dead, lying on the feet of Rar, who raised a terrible victory roar. The prison fortress Evercage had just seen the first clean victory, as no dwarves had injured and there were no survivors on the opposing side.

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Rar Moraarr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Oh, hey nice. Good to see some more updates. I missed a whole bunch, though.  :o

Journal Entry of Rar

"Things have been busy, Leadership changed. I'm now incharge of the military, and thing have been quite unsetting recently. Clearing out the dead, from the attack a little while ago -among them our Warden and a fellow guard. Then we had a Troll -or whatever you call them, and some Vikings show up at our prision, thinkin' that we were not prepared. That I shall never forget, thinkin' they could conquer us. HA! Left them running with there, mangled bodies. Though still something tells me that it's not over yet. . . somethin' comin'. . .
Maybe I should suggest a Ballista, the Mountainhomes have them, why cant we? "

Cant wait for the next update.
Rar

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eventually the vikings left the area, and quite soon after the dwarves spotted small group of elves approaching the site. Apparently the hippies didn't learn from the last time, or they had no clue what had happened. Nevertheless, Stronghammer decided that this new caravan should be dealt in the same manner as before.

First the elves were guided to the trading depot. At first they had no clue what was going to happen, but when they reached the depot and saw the decorates made from bones of their kin they became suspicious.

One of the two merchants was about to ask what was the meaning of the elven bone decorations when the ground begun shaking and they hear deep roar coming somewhere bellow. Before they managed to react ten bloodthirsty prisoners had swarmed them, tearing them apart with bare hands.

The fight was messy but not as messy as Stronghammer had first believed. Sure, there were blood everywhere in the entrance, but still the whole entrance wasn't covered with the slick, red liquid.

Now that the elves were dead it was time to loot the trading depot. Lots of wood, cloth and trinkets were found, left by now dead elven merchants. It was good day for Evercage, the economy had just taken a huge step forwards.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Summer of the third year came, and Stronghammer was informed that the magma bridge was ready. Yes, the bridge crossing the volcano had gained the nickname of magma bridge or execution alley. The second nickname had came from how the bridge was used against the vikings.

But nobody knew what the nickname execution alley would lead when it was invented. When the bridge was ready one of the guards had a great idea, a moment of intellectual brilliance; why not build a small platform next to the bridge, over the volcano of course, with only one way out which could be locked when needed. Any captured invader could then be released there, and the archers could stand on the bridge and use the invaders as target practice? Stronghamer couldn't believe he hadn't come up such an idea. And so the work begun and withing few days the platform was ready.

It was, of course, necessary to test the platform out. Fortunately there were two caged goblins stashed somewhere, and with a bit of work the cages were dug out and installed to the platform.

The archers stationed atop of the bridge and the lever was pulled, releasing the two unlucky goblins. Immediately the archers begun shooting the them and there was nothing the goblins could do about that.

Iron bolts hit hard, and there were blood everywhere. One of the two goblins tried to avoid the bolts, and for few moments he was successful in that. But there was no hope for survival, and suddenly the goblin lost his balance, was struct by bolts, and fell to the crater. It took few seconds before the magma begun melting the screaming creature, and when the dwarves heard the terrified death cries they cheered.

The second goblin was heavily wounded and practically incapable to move, which made it easy target to dwarves. In unison the dwarves raised their crossbows and released a wave of iron bolts, each bolt hitting the unconscious goblin. One bolt pierced the skull, tearing huge hole on the back side, and took moderate chunk of brain with it when coming out. It was clear that the goblin wouldn't raise anymore, nothing could survive from such a hit. Ans so the first execution, first of many, was over.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another group of prisoners arrived during the summer of year 103. Six prisoners, one guard and one priest were sent to Evercage despite the restless months the fortress had went through lately.

The eight new citizens had brought the population up to sixty-five dwarves, of which seven were still children. Two children had come with group of prisoners and five had been actually born in Evercage. The public opinion was that the prison was no place for children, but there was hardly anything that could be done as the orders were strict: nobody sent to live or born in Evercage was allowed to leave the fortress. Only caravans and diplomats would be allowed to return mountain home, nobody else.

The wealth of the fortress had grown steadily during the years, even though nobody had a clear picture of the exact wealth accumulated. The reason for this was that there was no official bookkeeper living there, and Stronghammer had his hands full with other tasks to claim that position as well. But still it was clear that the fortress had become wealthy, with few artifacts produced during the years and with all the loot claimed from dead goblins and elves.

Since Stronghammer became the leader of the fortress there had been several improvements as well. First of all there was finally working well inside the fortress. Well, not exactly inside the fortress itself, but inside the walled area, which made it safe even when under siege.

Four new kitchen had also been built, and there was four cooks whose sole task was to produce tallow from all those fat accumulated in the storage as well as produce tasty meals.

So, in other words, the life in Evercage had slowly turned to tolerable, even at times comfortable. Of course the prisoners still had hard time, as all the manual labor were given to them, but at least there was no fear for starving or being slaughtered in bed while sleeping by some unknown creature.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heh, it's all going pretty well! :)
Could I please see the new Priest's personality page thingy? And what god they worship? I might claim them... :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The month Galena had just begun when Karakzon rushed to Stronghammer's office.

"Sir! Come quickly! You must see this!" Karakzon was clearly out of breath.

Stronghammer raised his eyes from the parchment he had been studying. "Didn't your mother teach you to knock before entering someone's office? You just can't run here like you ass was in fire, even if it literally was." He was irritated because being distracted.

"Sorry sir! But you must come to see this! We have found something down there!"

Stronghammer rolled the parchment and put it in the box, locking it and took the key. "Fine, what is it that you found?"

"There is huge cavern down there, dozen or so floor bellow our fortress. Armok take me, I nearly fell down there when we breached it!"

Stronghammer was staring him now. Cavern? Under the fortress? He was able to believe it. "Alright, show me the way. I'll come to check this out myself.

The two dwarves climbed down the stairs as quickly as they could. When they reached the bottom Stronghammer saw the huge hole on the floor, and through the hole he was able to see this huge cavern, spreading as far as he was able to see.

"Have you noticed any living creatures down there?"

"None," Karakzon replied. "Nothing living except the trees and plants. But something is living there, as there are those webs all around."

Stronghammer studied the scene bellow them few moments. "You are right, at least something is living there. I need the guards to inspect this, but before they can do that we must produce more weapons and armor." He turned to face Karakzon. "I need you to go and tell the smiths to make ten full set of iron armor and ten iron axes for our guards. I wan't to know immediately when the task is done."

Karakzon saluted. "Right away sir!"

After the miner had departed Stronghammer faced the hole once more, shook his head and the begun climbing back to the fortress. All the time he was thinking what they would find down there. More ores? Perhaps even some flux stone so that they could produce steel? Only time would tell, but at least he was anxious to find out.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heh, it's all going pretty well! :)
Could I please see the new Priest's personality page thingy? And what god they worship? I might claim them... :P

Do you want male priest instead?

Don't mind the nickname "holy", I usually use that, "warrior" or "noble" to distinguish special castes from commoners.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nah, she'll do. :P I feel like I'm picking out a puppy at a pet store... :D Name 'em Yorilda.
Oh, and what is Bem the god of, exactly?

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:24:03 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, Yorilda has now been claimed.

I will upload a list of the gods in second post as soon as I can.
The list of deities has been posted on the second post now.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:52:36 am by Kipi »

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While Stronghammer was occupied by the daily management of the fortress he didn't notice that the population of the fortress had surpassed the minimum requirement of mayor. Due this reason he was totally shocked to hear that there had been election already, and one of the prisoners was elected to be the new mayor.

"This won't do! No prisoners can become the mayor of Evercage!" He was heard to be shouting while rushing towards the female dwarf, surrounded by the the loyalists who had elected her to the position. He halted before the group of dwarves, who were eyeing him suspiciously.

The female dwarf turned her attetion towards Stronghammer. "What do you want? I'm busy, talk to my secretary and arrange an appointment." The loyalists begun laughing, apparently appreciating the joke.

"You filthy criminal, you have no right to claim yourself as mayor. Surrender now and you may live through this day!"

Grinning wildly Gearedcleared, the dwarf who had chosen to be mayor by the prisoners, swung her head around. "My supporters! Do you hear what this clerk just said? He demands me to surrender!" She turned her eyes back to Stronghammer. "Never! I was chosen in legal election and nobody has the right to deny what should be mine!"

Stronghammer crossed his arms. "You forgot one thing. Prisoners have no rights down here, and that comes from the king himself. So your election was illegal, and if you want to keep your hide you step down NOW before I order the guards to take you away. And if I do that it means you can throw farewells to your family, friends, and any loyalist who thought that prisoner is good choice for running the prison." He looked around and continued. "And f any of you stupid loyalist even think to raise your hand against me I will cut that hand off and feed rest of your corpse to goblins."

The group of prisoners looked each other scared, and slowly everybody left the room, leaving only the Gearedcleared.

"Now," Stronghammer continued. "You have five second to leave this room and I will forget what happened here. But if any of you decides to do something as stupid as this I will not guarantee the survival of the said dwarf."

Slowly Gearedcleared begun backing away, finally she turned and begun running away.

Stronghammer turned his eyes towards the two guards who had been watching the situation from background. "Now, until we can hold a true election, I will take the responsibility of mayor. And you are denied to do anything to that stupid dwarf, unless she tries something like this again."

The two guards saluted and departed, leaving Stronghammer alone in the room.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just moments after the incident between mayor Stronghammer and the prisoner Gearedcleared the alarm given. There had been some strange noise coming from the passage alley leading to the fortress and commander Rar had went to investigate. What he found surprised everybody; a group of goblins had been able to sneak past the traps and they watchful eyes of archers stationed on the walls, and had just reached the entrance to the walled area.

Two goblins had already been trapped inside the cages, and from remaining five goblins three were more or less injured, which indicated that the traps had done at least something. But what worried Rar the most was that he was surrounded by the goblins, and he was alone. Of course the archers, the whole squad had stationed above the tunnel entrance already, were shooting the goblins as fast as they could, but still there was nobody else but he to fight the goblins in melee combat.

With the help of the bolts launched by archers Rar was able to slaughter two goblins, and begun chasing down the remaining two, the fifth goblin had caught in cage. When all three of them had went behind the wall, so that archers were not able to shoot them, the two goblins turned around and charged towards Rar.

He took some wounds while fighting against the goblins, and when the archers reached them he was unable to stand. Still alive and conscious, but unable to stand.

But even though Rar was unable to stand it didn't prevent him from fighting. As the the bolts launched by archers were slowing the goblins down the brave dwarf went and crawled to the confused goblins and used his only working hand to swing the axe, tearing bits from the filthy creatures.

Eventually the two remaining goblins were slain, and the hero of the battle was carried to hospital for diagnosis and healing. The first impressions of the dwarves who had seen Rar right after the battle had ended were that he would never walk again, his legs were almost literally smashed in pieces. The diagnosis supported that belief.

Even though the diagnosis was grim there doctors were ordered to do their best, perhaps there even were a possibility that at least one leg could be saved, and that Rar would eventually return to duty. For this one table and traction bench were build next to the bed Rar was put, and so the healing could begin.

For days the doctors worked without break, but in the end they were ready, and for everybody's surprise Rar stood up and walked away, just like nothing had happened. Everybody cheered, for the return of Rar was good omen. No goblins were enough to stop one dwarf, even if his legs were smashed!

While Rar was fighting for his life there was several changes occurring in Evercage. First of all Stronghammer had appointed one of his guards to the position of captain of the guard, which was basically the same position as sheriff, but with the possibility of having own squad. Second change was that first prison cells were built. Even though the prisoners were allowed to wander freely inside the fortress Stronghammer saw the need for the cells just in case the prisoners gets restless.

He had also ordered the construction of proper quarters for him and the new captain of the guard. These quarters were formed by personal bedroom, office and dining room, with proper furniture. Even though the rooms were ready and in use few furniture were still missing and the decorating wasn't even begun.

Finally Stronghammer had mandated the construction of three items from rune bronze. When he delivered the order to the smiths the reception was nearly furious.

"You are kidding, right? You know that we don't have any such material here? How the hell we are going to complete that order?"

Stronghammer just grinned. "It's your problem, not mine. If I order you to use rune bronze then you will use rune bronze, even if that means you must take the material from your over-sized butt. Now go, and don't bother me unless you or one of your colleagues has complete the order." And so he turned and left the forges, leaving furious smith behind.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

lol Loving the story so far and absolutely loved the confrontation between Stronghammer and the mayor wannabe as well as the smiths, absolutely loved it thanks.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No problems!

I was actually testing different methods of killing the wannabe mayor, but decided to let her go as there was no easy way and the ambush always distracted.

Truth to be told, there will be some disagreements with the mayor position in the future, as I had to manually replace the old mayor, and thus when the next election comes someone else will probably be elected...

FUN ensured!  ;D

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16