Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Evercage, the dwarven prison [Dwarf Fortress Advanced v. 0.3.6 COMMUNITY]  (Read 31601 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The life in Evercage had returned to normal since the slaughter of the two hapless elves. The first magma smelters and forge powered by the magma were ready and already in use.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The reason only one forge had been built was that the dwarves had run out of anvils, as they brought only one with them and Keywalls didn't buy another from the caravan from mountain home. Still it was not a huge problem as they just decided to construct the necessary anvils themselves, using the iron smelted from hematite.

Before any work had been able to begin in the forge one of the prisoners went on and locked himself inside. With him he took one bar of iron and one wood log. Many days went on without him coming out, but finally one day the dwarf came out and handed small iron amulet to Keywalls, who was waiting outside with guards ready to take the dwarf away.

The amulet was so beautiful, with iron spikes and pictures made with wood that. The quality of the work was something Keywalls had never seen before, so ecstatic she was that she completely forgot to give the orders to take the dwarf in question away for punishment.

The dwarf who had created the amulet had to thank his luck, as if the amulet hadn't took the attention of Keywalls she would have most probably executed him, and the best method available was to throw the victim to the magma through the crater that opened on the surface.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 05:16:52 am by Kipi »
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another group of prisoners arrived to Evercage, but this time this situation was different. The group was coming from west, and their path was blocked by the river and there was no way to get across it. Fortunately Niney spotted the dwarves while building expansion to the wall surrounding the entrance, and Keywalls was informed.

"Why the hell don't you build a bridge then? Use your common sense, if there really is at least one guard and two children among them, we must get them here before any wild animal decided that those dwarves would make a excellent meal!"

"Yes ma'am! Right away ma'am!"

And so the work on the walls halted and the construction of bridge begun. Two days went on but finally the bridge reached to the other side of the river, and even though it wasn't completely ready yet, the group was able to get past the river and reach the entrance. Keywalls was at the gate, waiting for the newcomers.

"I see you have two children with you. Care to explain what they are doing in a place like this? Are they parents among the prisoners?"

The guard halted and spent few moments to catch her breath before answering.

"Yes, the two children are brothers, and their mother is among the prisoners I brought here. I'm not exactly sure why the children were sent here too instead of someone adopting them back in the mountain home, but I was given specific order to take the children with us as well. And so I did."

"Right, well, the children aren't criminals then? Should we treat them like prisoners or personnel?"

"I say we treat them as normal dwarves and give them small room so that they don't have to sleep with the prisoners. It's not their fault they are here as far as I know, at least I wasn't informed of any crimes committed by those two."

"Right. How many of you there was anyway?"

The guard looked around then fixed his eyes on Keywalls

"Eleven of us left the mountain home, six prisoners, two children and three of us guards. My fellow guards died in goblin ambush but everybody else were able to flee and thus survived. So, with two dead, there is nine of us left."

"Right, go inside and try to find unoccupied room for you and one for the children. I'll see which task should be assigned to the new prisoners."

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

dragoncurse

• Bay Watcher
  • if patience.Huge = fortress.FUN.Huge
    • View Profile

Intermission 1.02 - Oh snap

Yes... They are coming... I can FEEL them...
They know where those 'survivors' are going to.
They know about this... 'fortress'...
They know we have no proper military force...

I need a map... A MAP...
But how... We don't have a cartographer... Yet.
:3

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Few days had passed since the last group of prisoners had arrived when the human caravan requested access to the fortress for trading. Stronghammer asked whether those merchants should be dealt in the same way as the elven ones, but Keywalls disagreed, after all there were armed guards with the caravan, unlike the elves had.

Just moments after the caravan had reach the walls Ahra spotted group of goblins in the west, coming towards the fortress right from where the group of prisoners had came.

The alarm was given, the work on the walls was suspended and everybody was called inside. The two archers were stationed at the entrance and Keywalls grabbed her axe and went near the refuse pile so that she was able to observe the situation as well as give any necessary orders. It was sad that there were not enough weapons to arm the rest of the guards, but at least there were few human soldiers who could be able to help if the situation went sour.

The ambush squad had walk along the walls to reach the gate, which made them vulnerable to the bolts launched by Ahra and Yegg. The first goblin to reach the entrance was the leader of the ambush, who was trapped inside the cage when the trap was triggered.

When the first goblins reached the interior of the walls Keywalls rushed towards them, shouting battlecries. In the meanwhile Ahra and Yegg and stationed themselves so that they had a clear line of sight to the entrance, which allowed them to launch bolts towards any goblins trying to enter the fortress.

Unfortunately, even though she was able to slay few goblins, the ambush was too much for her and eventually she fell, pierced by goblin arrow.

The death of Keywalls enraged everybody in the fortress, and so every dwarf, prisoner included, rushed towards the goblins still standing.

Even though only few dwarves were armed or wearing armor, the goblins had no chance against the mass of frenzied bearded creatures, and soon the few goblins were outnumbered and outrun by the angry mod. But the victory came with huge prize; four dwarves had died. Keywalls, Yegg and two prisoners had fallen while fighting against the goblins, and five dwarves were injured.

One of the prisoners were granted the temporal position of chief medical dwarf and the dormitory where the prisoners had been sleeping was turned to hospital. The founded dwarves, among them there were Niney and Ahra, were carried to the hospital fox diagnosis and healing.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, so Keywalls and Yegg are dead, if you want to claim another dwarf Yoink just say so.

Niney and Ahra are injured, Niney has only some small injuries, mostly in the gut, but Ahra's situation is a bit more critical. Luckily the warrior caste has quite good healing rate so you should be able to survive, as long as the criminal doctors do their job properly.

ImBocaire and Karakzon, your dwarves are very close to tantruming, mostly because the of the carnage, loosing friends and so on...

So, I think FUN is ensured in Evercage!  ;D

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile

wadaya mean critical?
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

wadaya mean critical?

The pictures describe better than any words:

Fortunately you should be able to survive, though it's another matter if you ever get out from the bed...

The injuries basically came when you, as well as Yegg, ran out of bolts and you decided to rush melee, using bone crossbows as clubs. Not a wise idea...

dragoncurse

• Bay Watcher
  • if patience.Huge = fortress.FUN.Huge
    • View Profile

Intermission 1.03 - I told you!

4 fellow dwarves dead.
4 fellow comrades died to defend this place.
I must build coffins and bury them properly. They deserve it.

As for Keywalls, I will try to request the miner to make a proper burial chamber, she really deserves it, even though she was a bit... crazy.

But first, I have to gotta walk with this guts EXPOSED.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 10:09:57 am by dragoncurse »
:3

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yegg's last words:

"Damn... Stupid Mountainhomes... Not even enough... Bloody... Bolts! I don't even have a bed to die in, the bloody wife makes me... Sleep on... The floor... ACK!"
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile

lol.

bright side: if i dont go nutts, ill probably get hardend individual or dosent realy care about anything anymore thing.

whos leader now?
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chapter 2 - The reign of Stronghammer

To recover from the tragedy that hit Evercage it was required that someone took the command of the fortress. As Stronghammer was the only personnel around it fell to him to take up the reins.

The grave task of burying the dead begun. The two deceased guards were given personal tombs inside the fortress. The tombs were only small rooms with coffin in the middle, as there was not enough time to do any decoration, but the plans were to engrave the walls when there was enough time.

For the deceased prisoners huge room was mined east from the volcano, as the guards didn't wan't the corpses of criminals near their fallen heroes. It was also decided that any prisoner dying in Evercage would be buried there.

While the general mood was dark during those days there was still a bit light at the end of the tunnel; it was clear that none of the wounded dwarves would die, the wounds weren't bad enough to be lethal. Of course there was a chance of infection, but the risk was quite small the hopes were high. The guards were especially relieved to hear that Ahra, the hero among them, was already up from the bed able to return to duty. The prisoners were happy to hear that Niney, the spiritual leader and spokedwarf of the prisoners, was also going to be okay, though there would be permanent scars.

Everybody was especially surprised that Ahra had survived from the assault, he had after all rushed to the battle carrying only his bone crossbow. His injuries were bad, but still there he was now, stationed at the walls and keeping eyes on the construction of the second tier of walls, the project which was resumed in a hurry.

The battle has also caused some mistrust among dwarves towards the humans, as nobody saw the human soldiers to take part in the fight. There they had been, standing inside the depot, watching when dwarves were first slaughtered by goblins and then the assault being broken by frenzied mob. It was no wonder that no trading occurred, and the humans left the fortress while several angry dwarves were watching them, spitting towards them and shouting curses. The cowards, if they wanted to trade with the dwarves they should be ready to help in fight as well!

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Well this is a surprise. The warden got slaughtered by goblins, the guards have been weakened. Soon, yes, the time will come. When we will overpower the guards and take control of this fortress for ourselves. For now, I should keep my thoughts to myself, act as normal as I can as to not raise suspicion." >:)

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile

"god i hate gobbos, these sutures itch more than the wounds.
but it true as they say; you cant keep an angry dwarf down or he will try to bash your skull against an stationary object"
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rest of the autumn went in recovering and cleaning. All the dead had been hauled away and the corpses of goblins had been butchered to meat, bones and leather. There was still some blood where the battle took place but nobody had any interest of actually cleaning those splatters, and as the sun were shining the blood dried, making it more or less impossible to clean afterwards.

As the military organization had took some heavy losses with the deaths of Keywalls and Yegg, Stronghammer decided that it would be a good time to do some reorganization. Rar took the place of military commander, the position held by Keywalls before her death. Ahra was assigned to be the leader of the archer squad, which was renamed to Gravel of Autonomy, and he got four other guards under his command. All guards assigned to squads were given full set of iron armor, which included breastplate, greaves, gauntlets, high boots and helm. The archers were also given possibility to pick any type of crossbow they wanted. The minimum number of archers stationing at the walls during any given time was also raised to two.

The second tier of walls was also completed, forming a narrow passage from both sides of the mountain to the entrance. This passage was to control the movement of any assaulting group, forcing them to approach the entrance under the fire of bolts. Both mouths of the passage were also trapped with giant axe blades and two bridges were constructed, which could be raised in case of siege. Later there small passage was also added which was leading towards the volcano, and the plans were to construct a bridge across the crater to give more or less safe passage to the criminal cemetery even when the fortress was under siege.

Another group of prisoners had also arrived, six criminals guarded by two soldiers. Stronghammer was thankful for their arrival, as the military of the fortress was still in rather poor condition and wouldn't survive against bigger assaults.

Dwarven caravan also came, and with them came the liaison. For Stronghammer's surprise the liaison wasn't same as last autumn, or so he was told. Well, basing on the stories he had heard, it was no wonder if that female had been removed from the position with such an attitude.

Before meeting the new liaison Stronghammer went to deal with the merchants. The storage of the fortress was still in disarray, so only four full bins of trading goods had been hauled to the depot, but that was enough to buy some alcohol, wood, iron and several stacks of bolts. The leader of the caravan was happy, though she had hoped a bit better revenue.

The liaison was surprised when she heard the tale Stronghammer told her about the assault and especially how the whole fortress had joined together to slaughter the goblins, even though only few of them were wielding any kind of weapon. She also promised that more prisoners, personnel and guards would be sent as soon as possible, though specific schedule she was unable to give. Well, at least Evercage would get more dwarves, which was enough to him.

While Stronghammer was meeting the merchants and liaison, the miners had finished engraving the tombs of Keywalls and Yegg. There were some disagreement whether the dead prisoners would also deserve better eternal resting place, but the guards weren't interested in changing their minds, and so the prisoner grave stayed where it was.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

WOW lots has happened

Journal of stronghammer

It seems that the mighty Keywalls has fallen and as a result i have assumed the heavy mantel of leadership. I had to do some trading and management tasks but that is now out of the way. Now being leader i can turn to the task of collecting myself large amounts of wealth, and the only way to do that is to grind the prisoners beneath the boot of industry and forced labour, however i need to get more guards as the situation can get out of hand with so many prisoners. Maybe we could fortify the hallways to be able to repell an uprising or revolt, definetly something to think about.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16