Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Evercage, the dwarven prison [Dwarf Fortress Advanced v. 0.3.6 COMMUNITY]  (Read 31575 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Evercage, the dwarven prison [Dwarf Fortress Advanced v. 0.3.6 COMMUNITY]
« Reply #210 on: September 23, 2011, 12:54:11 am »

22nd of Granite, year 107

By the order of Stronghammer Dohon established a new squad, in which he recruited five best soldiers he was able to find. They all were assigned to use adamantine equipment and their task is to force the peace around here.

Why would we need a squad to force the peace here? Well, in the middle of all this chaos and tantrums I believe the prisoners will try a rebellion. Or at least I wouldn't be surprised if they did, our military forces are nearly non-existing and the general mayhem does well covering all the murders and sabotages.

28th of Granite, year 107

The order has been given to bury all the dead dwarves to general graveyard for now. We need to get rid of the corpses quickly before those begin to rot, which is actually happening already, and cause more unhappiness. This means we have no time to divide all the corpses to correct graveyards, so it's just easier to haul them to one centralized location and when things calm down then bury those corpses to proper place.

Speaking of unhappiness, we are in the middle of bad tantrum spiral. Several dwarves, both prisoners and personnel, have been showing the signs of snapping out in any moment. This is another reason we need good and strong squad to arrest anyone considered as threat to our fortress.

1st of Slate, year 107

Several our prisoners reassigned to help out in the masonries. We need those damned coffins, and we need those quickly. Few of the dwarves who were reassigned did protest but with no gain, the decision of Stronghammer stays.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 23, 2011, 01:40:30 am »

2nd of Slate, year 107

Our mayor demanded an audience with Stronghammer today. In the meeting she claimed that she had an idea which, if not solve our production problems, would at least speed up the coffin construction and thus would ensure faster burial of our dead. When Stronghammer demanded to know the details behind the plans she was quite secretive, just saying that she didn't want to share the idea before she knew if it works but to test it out she would need freedom to do as she wanted.

As expected Stronghammer wasn't too keen on giving her that freedom but on the other hand how could things turn out worse? And so Channellashed was given the permission to do as she saw fit as long as no harm to the fortress or the authority of Stronghammer comes. I'm actually quite curious what she is planning, but I think we shall find out soon enough...

2nd of Slate, year 107

This is an outrage!

We finally figured out the plans Channellashed had. She decided that the children of the fortress should work for their living, and thus all children past age three and not belonging to any of the personnel group were assigned to work in masonries!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now I can understand the idea behind the order but still, forcing our children to work in workshops! And especially producing coffins! How would that affect those children mentally? Stronghammer especially wasn't happy with the turn of events when he heard the order Channellashed gave. But she was given the freedom to act by Stronghammer himself, so there is nothing we can do about it now. But I'm sure next time she comes to him with such ideas Stronghammer will just throw her out from the office. She has literally lost our trust.

7th of Felsite, year 107

Hah!

Apparently one of our doctors didn't like the orders of forcing the children to work. Perhaps because the doctor's child was among the ones who were put to work? Nevertheless, the good doctor mauled Channellashed badly, resulting the death of her.

Of course the crime just can't go unpunished, especially since we are in chaos at the moment. And so the doctor was sentenced to spend next two-hundred and one day in jail.

Now, we need a new mayor to replace Channellashed. There were only two possible candidates, Stronghammer and Alaric 'The Mad'. As Stronghammer is already the baron he can't fill the position of mayor as well, and thus Alaric was elected to become the new mayor of Evercage.

Personally I think that Channellashed deserved her fate. What would you expect after giving an order that breaks the traditions dating hundreds of years back? Unfortunately there is currently no way to remove the order she gave, and thus our children are forced to work in masonries until next spring. This is the law of dwarves, only the dwarf who gave the order can undo it before one year has passed.

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 23, 2011, 09:22:06 am »

...Is that an ingame thing?

Also, can I pwetty pwease have my psychological analysis report for Lecktor?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 23, 2011, 09:25:48 am »

Damn that channellashed, measures must be taken to increase my popularity with the people. As well my authority must be made more secure.
LONG LIVE ME

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 23, 2011, 03:56:42 pm »

let me know when i get out of hospital.
If i get out of hospital, now the docs dead x)
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 23, 2011, 05:09:54 pm »

...Is that an ingame thing?

The children workforce has been provided to you by Dwarf Therapist™. Seriously though I was in desperate need of workers, I just wanted to justify it in story format.  :P

Will post that tomorrow when I wake up.

let me know when i get out of hospital.
If i get out of hospital, now the docs dead x)

Well, lets just say that your future isn't looking too good atm. Your lower body is more or less completely destroyed. You can still walk though, even if your right and left hip are smashed apart as well as your both legs. Hardcore!

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 23, 2011, 06:02:23 pm »

lol.

well. heres to hopeing. if theirs any soap about thatll increase my chances, the fact im walking about must mean the doc finished stiching me up, all thats left is to heal :P

I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 23, 2011, 07:10:40 pm »

How many idlers are there?
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Sneaky Walrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Clever Walrus....
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 24, 2011, 05:17:19 am »

HAHAHAHAHAHA
The plan worked! Everyone believes that Channellashed was behind the order to get children working in the masons, even though I am in total control of the mason shops and forge works!
Now that I am in charge, this place will rise to its true power and crush all who oppose us!
Vikings,Drow and Goblins shall tremble before us!
HAHAHAHAHAHA

- cough - cough -

I mean- ahem- yes it is a shame that the late Channellashed was struck down in her prime but we must press forward!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cenim1nTWg&feature=related
Forward in the name of Powerful and Just Prime Minister Mayor Alaric "The Mad" and the Righteous and Pious Premier Baron Stronghammer!   
Fire washes the sin off the soul and the skin off the bone. That and I can't be bothered making soap...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 24, 2011, 05:30:12 am »

Also, Kipi, thank you for working Lecktor into the plot, despite probably having nothing to do with the death earlier.   It was cool. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 24, 2011, 07:02:11 am »

Huzza Alaric, none shall stand before us

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 26, 2011, 03:34:00 am »

Alright here, it comes:

Oh, and you don't have friends anymore, probably the one died during the massacre...

How many idlers are there?

13, though most of them are on break. More or less everybody else are doing everything else besides building coffins...

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 26, 2011, 04:31:02 am »

14th of Slate, year 107

Things are getting worse every passing day. Several normally stable dwarves have went insane and are beyond any form of healing.

But the worst tragedy occurred today when one child went berzerk. She threatened everybody so we had to sent out guards to deal with her.

The child didn't stand any chance and the execution was done swiftly. Thank Armok we assigned our guards to use adamantine weapons to ensure swift killing.

Now, the real problem is how does this affect to everybody else? We had to, after all, kill a innocent child who just wasn't able to handle all the pressure and stress caused by the late events. Who is going to snap out next? And how does all of this affect our guards? What if one of them turns berzerk, wielding a superior adamantine equipment? I fear that in that case we have a series of murders coming our way...

22nd of Slate, year 107

I have to admit, even though I don't agree with the notion of using child labor, the drafting of children has proved to be useful. Our coffin production speed has doubled with all the children working in masonries.

Unfortunately our production can't catch up the rate of deaths. Beatings, executions, starvations and murders are piling here, and each passing day at least one dwarf dies due any of the reasons listed here. We currently need dozens and dozens of coffins, but we can produce only so many right now. This means corpses littering the halls and front yard, nothing we can do to those.

28th of Slate, year 107

The miasma caused by all the corpses was getting so badly to everyones nerves that Stronghammer ordered all of those to be dumped at our refuse pile outside. We know this ain't the proper way to respect the dead but seriously, if we want to survive from all this madness we need to forget the traditions for a moment.

Our population has dropped as low as ninety-eight dwarves, which is really bad since we nearly one and half hundred dwarves living down here. And before all this is over I expect more deaths.

10th of Felsite, year 107

Dare I hope that the worst is already behind? There has been no tantrums in over a week, and the last jailed dwarf is getting out in a month or so. Could it be possible that we actually survived from this chaos?

13th of Felsite, year 107

And when we hoped everything would calm down a bit we have another problem. We are being sieged again!

The gnolls are here, most probably to avenge the death of their former diplomat! But they only sent a small squad of melee warriors, nothing our guards shouldn't be able to take care of.

The first guard to reach the advancing gnoll force was Machinetangle. She was quickly surrounded by angry dog-heads but she fought bravely, being able to hold her ground to the point when others arrived.

The guards fought well but there were more gnolls than we thought. Eventually they were able to break the siege but not without any losses; one guard died and three were wounded, one even seriously. But at least Dohon survived without wounds and the siege ended.

19th of Felsite, year 107

We are just trying to recover from gnoll attack when the goblins showed up! We are doomed, I repeat, DOOMED!

Everybody was ordered to flee inside, but alas two of our children were too slow and were slain by the goblins.

The first wave was trolls. Those were slaughtered easily but when the first goblin squad came our soldiers decided to rush out there instead of waiting. Didn't they learn a damned thing from last time?!

The rush came with hefty price; Dohon was killed outside, surrounded by dozens of goblins.

Wait, I hear screams coming from the stairs. I better go and check out what's happening there...

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 26, 2011, 05:10:33 am »

Due all the deaths this tale is told by outsider from now on. Don't expect the survival of the fortress. :P

Chapter 8 - The End of All Hope

The screams Historian heard was caused by nothing else but a horde of goblins slaughtering dwarves. Nobody knows how but while the few remaining guards were battling outside three full squads of goblins were able to infiltrate the fortress and thus get behind the lines of defend.

The halls of Evercage were filled by blood, vomit and screams of agony once again, but sadly this time there was no hope to fend of the attackers. There just weren't any soldiers left to defend the poor civilians.

The slaughter took days as the goblins didn't want to end the massacre too quickly. They were clearly enjoying the situation and sweet taste of revenge, after all the soldiers and traps of Evercage had slaughtered dozens, perhaps even hundreds of their kin. And now they were finally able to get the revenge.

Among the first died Stronghammer and Alaric. It was clear that the goblins were determined to cut down the commanders of the fortress to ensure the panic and chaos. Kilik was quickly elected to replace the two commanding nobles but with no avail, it was already too late to actually do anything. And escaping was out of question as the goblins had blocked all the exits, locking the poor dwarves inside to meet their fate.

After nearly one month of battle the goblins suddenly begun to flee. Apparently, after further investigation, there was still one soldier left; Riderrock the Oaken Luster of Syrups. She had killed already nearly thirty different beings during her career. The final blow to goblin morale was when the weapon she was carrying, bone crossbow, was given the name of Splatteredrings due all the deaths it had caused either by shooting or by clubbing.

So, the goblins fled. But what next? There were only fifty-eight dwarves remaining, most of the going to snap out soon. There were no nobles left, and the prison was now commanded by prisoner Kilik. There were only two soldiers left, both of them badly injured. If there was going to be another attack soon there would be no chances for survival.

When the civilians reach the front yard of the fortress they saw a thing that both amused and scared the hell out of them; there was this lonely troll lying next to unconscious Circlebells, trying to strangle the poor axedwarf to death. But the troll was so badly injured and weak that it passed out every now and then and didn't actually had any strength to kill the dwarf.

The civilians were too scared to get close of the two, so they asked the other remaining soldier to get up there to kill the troll. But that would take a long time since Riderrock wasn't able to stand, not speaking of walking, so she would have to drag himself up there.

Finally, since nobody had seen Riderrock since the goblins had left, one of the prisoners decided to kill the troll to help the axedwarf. Apparently the dwarf in question, Crazeboard, had once belonged to the mob squad and thus knew a bit about fighting. She took some wounds during the battle, being unarmored and barehanded, but eventually the troll was dead. Still there was no sign of Riderrock, which made everybody worried.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 26, 2011, 05:36:10 am »

A Letter to the King of The Faithful Furnaces

Honored King!

My name is Kilik Tradedbanners, the last mayor of Evercage. Our fortress has suffered huge losses during the assaults of goblins, gnolls and vampires. All of our nobles are dead and we have no guards fit to battle anymore and thus it has fallen to me to command this place that has become our grave.

Our mighty fortress housed nearly one hundred and fifty dwarves at best, but now our population has dropped down to less than sixty dwarves. The glory of Evercage doesn't exists anymore. Our halls are littered by dead dwarves, too many to bury with so small population.

We have just learned that the three civilizations, goblins, gnolls and vampires are joining their forces to launch the final assault against us. That assault will mark the fall of Evercage. And my task is to inform you, our loved king, that we are not going to allow that. If our civilization can't get their hands on our wealth then nobody shall.

Yesterday I opened the letter dedicated to our former count Stronghammer, the letter sent by you which details the plans and actions we must take in case of fortress falling to our enemies. And hereby I inform you that those plans shall be executed immediately. The prison fortress of Evercage shall end by the hands of dwarves, not by some dog-heads, greenskins or blood-sucking bastards.

I beg you to take care of the child who brought you this message as she has experienced a lot, too much for any child. I also beg that our memories shall be respected, even if most of us were murderers or other criminals, as we once were part of your society and we still consider us as part of you.

For The Faithful Furnaces! For The Evercage!
FOR THE ARMOK!

- Kilik Tradedbanners

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16