Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Lets play Spore: SPACE STAGE :Blah blah blah Kaboom  (Read 60196 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Lets play Spore: SPACE STAGE : WE ARE BACK AND ARE TOTTALLY ADVENTURING
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2011, 06:21:08 pm »

Sorry. I was gonna try and start the lp back up when summer arrives cause I've been lacking in the proper freetime since it died Also because it keeps crashing and I can never remember to save occasionally. If I'm really lucky I might be able to move the restart forward to winter break.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:36:35 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lets play Spore: SPACE STAGE : WE ARE BACK AND ARE TOTTALLY ADVENTURING
« Reply #166 on: November 30, 2011, 07:26:48 am »

Ah, spore, the game that promised us at least a semi-realistic game and returned a game made for little kids.

well done on fucking it up, developers.

anyways, looks like you ran into a spot of bad luck there, mate.

IIRC, EA forced them to ruin it for greater profits. Most of the Maxis team didn't want to fuck it up like that.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Lets play Spore: SPACE STAGE : We'll be back eventually
« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2012, 03:57:54 pm »

They had all of those FEATURES AND THINGS! Like the aquatic thing, different sense modes etc. Then they scrapped all of the plans because it might be confusing. EA, wy must you these things to us?

Anyway, cell will always be the best stage because there was a level of stratergy involved on placing parts etc. The other stages are all basically:
"Use ability, backpedal/move to next target, use ability", which is a load of brass if you ask me. That is not what the game promised.
Normally this would be a derail, but it's kind of on topic here. I think?

To make sure it is, see how far you can go just in cell. It's the most fun mode (Playing civ full economy possibly excluded) and is also a decent challenge.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2012, 08:57:11 am »

I wouldn't call this a derail, but rather a necro.

Good points though.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 05, 2012, 10:15:06 am »

Gah, I need to look at post dates more. My sense of time is bad enough as it is.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Lets play Spore: SPACE STAGE : Told ya we'd be back
« Reply #170 on: July 03, 2012, 03:13:22 pm »

: Augh...  my head. Where am I?

? ? ?: He's awake!

: Wha?

: Captain! You're finally awake! We were beginning to worry you'd never wake up. Of course I knew you would because you're the captain and I've-

: You're in the hospital Captain McCaptain. You've been here a long time. Over a year in fact.

: But how- That's impossible! Why am I in here?!

: A strange dimensional storm of some sort occurred. It destroyed your ship and put you into a coma. As you know, it is illegal to clone someone who is in a coma in order to prevent complications if they ever wake up. As such, you have been here since then.

: A dimensional storm?

: I'll let Mr. Goblkan explain.

: Greetings Captain, I'm Mr. Goblkan from the Department of Space management. It seems that some sort of massive wave washed over the galaxy, changing nearly all of it into... something similar , yet different. As far as we can tell, very little was left untouched. We are the only race in our area that remains the same as it was before. The others have been replaced by new ones. Our histories with them are the same, and they seem utterly ignorant as to what happened. Along with that, our databases were heavily scrambled by the event. We are still researching as to what happened.

: So the worlds gone all screwy...  what else is new?

: Well for one thing the storm completely destroyed your ship. The good news is that we were able to build it's next gen successor just recently.

: What's the bad news?

: It put us 3 Trillion Sporebucks in debt. It is for that reason that we...  kinda hired you out for mercenary work.

: What?!

: Don't worry, it's just one job. We managed to contact a very rich group who wish for our aid in a couple things.

:*Sigh* I suppose I better get going then don't I?

: No no! the job doesn't really have a time limit on it. Very strange bunch, these Krangrins. You're free to regain your bearings until you feel your ready.

: If you say so...

: Hey there! It's me Furtuka, and I'm here to welcome you back to this LP of Spore.

: Now I've learned quite a bit more since then, and aim to make this LP much better than it was before! First of all, I realized that I was doing to much storytelling, and not actually explaining how the gameplay is like. It's a bit to late to fix that for some of the earlier stages, but seeing as how the Space Age is so complicated, I figure I can show you it as we go along. Don't worry, we'll still see the misadventures of the captain and his crew, I'll just be popping up from time to time.

: First of all, I think I should show you the combat controls-

: And lookee here, it's a convenient pirate attack! I'll just mosey on down to the planets surface and...

: Drat. Oh well, I suppose I can just tell you in this case. See that red panel up there in the bottom right hand corner? That's our command/inventory/dashboard thingy. It's currently set to our defensive weapons. As you can see, at the start of the space age our ships are equipped with a laser and some missiles. The missile is good against turrets and ships, while the laser is better at shooting individual creatures and other small targets. Both of these weapons drain energy, which when emptied will prevent our energy using devices from working, and cause our ship to take gradual damage to it's health. You move using a mouse,use left click to use tools, and right click to move there. You press the + and - keys to go up or down the Z axis.

: This is the city customization screen, used for choosing what vehicles and buildings your civ uses, and for building within your city.

: We have 5 types of buildings. The city hall is the center of your city, and is built automatically and cannot be removed. Factories increase your spice production, spice being the main commodity of the Spore universe. Possibly as a reference to Dune. However, factories also increase unhappyness in the city. Which in the city age would cause zealot nations to have an easier time conquering you. Not sure what it does in the space age. To counter this, you have to build entertainment buildings to increase happyness. If you build a factory and a entertainment next to eachother, the unhappyness of the factory will double. Houses increase the effect of adjacent buildings. However they are not able to increase the unhappyness of factories.

: Here you can customize your empires vehicles. It's not useful for much except for aesthetic purposes.

: This tab lets you place decorations in your cities.

: Here you can customize your anthem. It's neat little leitmotif that plays whenever you fly over one of your cities. I personally don't fiddle with it that much.

: This last tab is where you can customize your citizens outfits.

: When you're on or orbiting an empires planet, you can bring up this screen to do business with them. The advantage of having many colonies is that you can repair your ship and recharge your energy at them for free! Other empires will charge you sporebucks for them.

: Here's the trading screen. You have to buy upgrades and tools if you want to do anything to make your ship better. Your own civ will offer you all the available upgrades and items unlocked, but at standard pricing. Other empires will not have as big of a selection, but in exchange they'll have higher or lower prices for certain upgrades.

: Now then, you may have been wondering what was up with that dimensional storm business earlier. Well you see, I kinda messed with Spore's package files while doing maintenance, causing it to reset the sporepedia. So all the creatures got replaced with random different ones. So here's a recap of who've we've encountered so far.

We are still these guys, The Cutebolds. Nothing's changed about them

This is the Sky Moose Empire. They like us. Formerly the Tide Pool Fish Empire.

These are the Green Toads, replacing the Paildramon Empire. They also like us.

The Wheeler Leader Empire. They use to be the Dying Man Empire. They hate us for religious reasons.

The Misti Empire. They dislike us too, but I forgot why. They use to be the Mr Slugy Empire

The Lioness Empire. They're neutral about us right now. They were once...    actually they're new. I stumbled onto them on accident last night.

: So anyways there's a few possible things we could do right now. We could either...

• Go do the story mission that I designed as part of my attempts to give this some sort of plot. It'll bring us closer to learning a bit more about some of the weird stuff I inserted earlier
    • Do some tutorial esque missions for our Empire. this is required at some point to obtain most of the starting tools
    • Run around, be sandboxy and interact with our neighbors
    • Or lastly, you could post nothing and cause me to let this die again :P

:So yeah, it's you guy's decision. We can probably do two of these options per update. Don't forget I'm still excepting crew members and buddies. So have fun, don't hate, and see you next episode![/list]
    « Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 03:23:33 pm by Furtuka »
    It's FEF, not FEOF

Projeck37

• Bay Watcher
    • what is love, baby don't hurt me
      • View Profile
    « Reply #171 on: July 03, 2012, 03:22:00 pm »

• Do some tutorial esque missions for our Empire. this is required at some point to obtain most of the starting tools

Either of these would be fine.
    I be the Pillow Pirate of the 12 Bays!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #172 on: July 03, 2012, 03:31:01 pm »

Either of these would be fine.

At the risk of Amareneli disease... Thiiiis.
    Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #173 on: July 03, 2012, 03:54:55 pm »

Get the starting tools!
    And also the super-cool laser weapons.
    Cultural status:
    Depleted          ☐
    Enriched          ☑

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
      • View Profile
    « Reply #174 on: July 03, 2012, 04:21:22 pm »

Go for more starting tools!

Gah, I need to look at post dates more. My sense of time is bad enough as it is.

Looks like this was a resurrection!  Glad you necro'd!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
    • I Actually Like Elves
      • View Profile
    « Reply #176 on: July 04, 2012, 03:15:34 am »

PTW.  I'll read from the beginning. 
    GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
    NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #177 on: July 04, 2012, 03:30:25 am »

I was hoping one of my cool space creatures would get in this LP but apperantly I am not so lucky.

Though... if you do find my created mission you have my full permission not to do it... It is kinda mean and hard.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
    • Lurking Skeleton
      • View Profile
    « Reply #178 on: July 04, 2012, 11:16:10 am »

May I hijack this thread for a moment? This LP has given me the urge to dig up and enjoy my own copy of Spore, as it is a very neat game despite its shortcomings. However, I am in requirement of a way to install it without having that blasted SecuROM tearing through my new computer. My rather weak google-fu has not turned up any relevant information, so I hereby turn to the wise minds of Bay12 to hopefully assist me in my predicament.

(Interesting piece of trivia: Did you know that neither the game box nor the manual ever so much as hints at you having to install SecuROM? There's no "This game uses the SecuROM digital rights manager" or "To install this game, you also need to install SecuROM" or anything similar. Nothing. The word SecuROM itself is not printed anywhere throughout either the manual or the physical box. I was never even aware of its existance until shortly after I installed the game for the first time several years ago.)
    We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
    Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
    • OW SNAP!
      • View Profile
    « Reply #179 on: July 04, 2012, 09:54:22 pm »

Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
    "Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
    Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.
    Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13