Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Duke Nukem Forever  (Read 6522 times)

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 02:56:47 pm »

My biggest problem I have with this game is the same as I've had with most console ports (co-developed whatever) in the past couple of years, bad mouse controls.

I've fiddled with the settings but it still feels wonky as hell, and it really baffles me how Devs seem to have such a hard time making a 1:1 mouselook when 5 years ago every FPS released I could intuitively plonk my crosshairs over someone's skull and generate some nice red mist, now I have to fight the cross hair which really gets in the way of my gore-boner.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 04:48:22 pm »

I've fiddled with the settings but it still feels wonky as hell, and it really baffles me how Devs seem to have such a hard time making a 1:1 mouselook when 5 years ago every FPS released I could intuitively plonk my crosshairs over someone's skull and generate some nice red mist, now I have to fight the cross hair which really gets in the way of my gore-boner.

Invisible War, before the patches, had horrible mouse aim problems. That came out in 2003, but Invisible War was a bugfest and a half. Even after all the patches there were still a few bugs, most notably self-replicating multitools which would crash your game (on a future level transition) if you ever picked one of them up. (Fortunately, they would not stack with your normal multitools, so as long as you kept your inventory full, you couldn't accidentally pick them up as long as you knew they existed. If you didn't... you might clear an inventory slot so you could have more multitools, and then your game crashed at the next level transition. Losing is Fun! The self-replication occurred if you tried and failed to pick one up. But it was still a trap.)

Edit: Heh, google seems to indicate that nobody else ever realized that they caused the game to crash later. That said, there might be three types instead of two, so some of the non-stacking ones might not replicate.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 04:52:52 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 04:59:13 pm »

Remember that Duke3D was a satyre of the genre to begin with.

Except it wasn't.
Shooters at that time were filled with badass main characters.
The Doom guy, The wolf 3D guy, the blakestone guy. Duke just added tits to it.
The real fun came from the absurd weapons, the puzzles and exploration.
The levels could be finished in 5 minutes(shut up 3D realms time was possible) but they could take as long as 1 hour if you explore. Now think of it for a while. 4 chapters with at least 3 levels each with increasing game time with every level(first level could be 1 hour but the last level could take 2 hours). Now compare that to the current games.
Of course it was anything but a satire of the genre. It had top-level new age graphics, cool controls, full 3d, great level design and very interactive levels. And a dose of nice humor. And it was long. And you packed a huge arsenal to battle the alien threat.

The DNF has quite basic graphics with problems with animations, levels are meh, you can carry only two weapons and IT looks like a satire of some sort.

It has cool music and an attitude which tries to follow and build up from the original game, but it is nowhere near revolutionary like the first one was.

P.S. Seriously, I play it only because it's DUKE. Otherwise it's a so-so game, and I am already bored of the cock-block jokes and repeating quotes. And I am nowhere near the middle of the game yet. I hope.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 05:02:03 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 05:51:12 pm »

As a fan of Duke since BEFORE Duke3D... I'm not terribly impressed. There were some bad design decisions.

But like mods made the original 3x better, I am hoping they can still come to the salvation of this game. (Which would require making it 10x better, but still)

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 05:59:15 pm »

As a fan of Duke since BEFORE Duke3D... I'm not terribly impressed. There were some bad design decisions.

But like mods made the original 3x better, I am hoping they can still come to the salvation of this game. (Which would require making it 10x better, but still)

Given that they've already announced Day 1 DLC, the odds of modding being supported, period, are pretty low.

...also, have Gearbox ever released anything with mod support? I can't think of anything off the top of my head. In other words, it seems very unlikely that a company releasing paid-for DLC, with no history of releasing mod support, and with the game's genre currently hostile to modding in general, would consider releasing mod tools.   :'(

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 07:56:19 pm »

Of course it was anything but a satire of the genre. It had top-level new age graphics, cool controls, full 3d, great level design and very interactive levels. And a dose of nice humor. And it was long. And you packed a huge arsenal to battle the alien threat.

You do know that the level of interactivity was only a notch better than that of Doom? Also the graphic engine was only 1 bit improved than doom. The graphics were average at best at that time.
AAAAAnd what does cool controls mean? That type of shit had been done ages ago. But one thing I agree to is the fact that the gameplay was fun. I believe it was the first FPS to have jetpacks.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 07:58:46 pm »

Given that they've already announced Day 1 DLC, the odds of modding being supported, period, are pretty low.

...also, have Gearbox ever released anything with mod support? I can't think of anything off the top of my head. In other words, it seems very unlikely that a company releasing paid-for DLC, with no history of releasing mod support, and with the game's genre currently hostile to modding in general, would consider releasing mod tools.   :'(
I think there will be enough pissed off (and probably dedicated) fans to skillfully rebuild the game from the ground up and remake it to what everyone was expecting (kinda like the Black Mesa Mod; Half-Life 2:Origins, so to speak (proper update with Source engine applied)), as well as unlock mod support themselves in the process like previously done with Duke3D. All they would need is a good enough voice actor that can mimic Duke's voice to seal the deal. We waited forever to get Forever; we're still waiting.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 08:22:24 pm »

Edit: Heh, google seems to indicate that nobody else ever realized that they caused the game to crash later. That said, there might be three types instead of two, so some of the non-stacking ones might not replicate.

I played Invisible War, got killed in a mission fairly early on (one where you had to infiltrate a large army base), reloaded, then found a big stack of multi-tools right where I died. Finished the game with them, never needing to conserve any after that. So there's definitely more than 1 bug involved with getting extra multi-tools, and not all of them crash the game.

I don't know if my edition was patched, it's a cheaper reprint edition and I didn't have the web at the time, it's probably already patched.

EDIT: On topic: I played Duke Nukem 3D when it was new, thought it was a fun game with meh graphics. I always thought the respawning/teleporting in enemies was a cheapshot / bad level design. I was a bigger fan of the Heretic/Hexen series at the time.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 08:44:04 pm by Reelyanoob »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 09:19:12 pm »

The thing is, the original Duke had great aesthetics. The graphics were only on par with doom, but at the same time they were much much better, because they put in a lot of the little things and bits of polish to make it stand out in many of their levels.

And yeah, mods don't have to be supported for fans to make mods. For example, one of the games I enjoyed most for mod-stuff was Halo 2. God some of the mods in that game were awesome - using shields and dual wielding swords, fighting with gravity weapons, and some really cool custom levels.

If anything, "modding tools" of the sort you get with xbox games kills modding by making it easier to create substandard levels. :/

rangarkash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 04:41:32 am »

Well, if you're complaining about DNF being a graphics whore, go play The Witcher 2. Then DNF, and see which has a better graphics/latency ratio.

btw...

Enjoy your perfect, perfect FPSes.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 04:50:10 am by rangarkash »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2011, 06:16:51 am »

You do know that the level of interactivity was only a notch better than that of Doom? Also the graphic engine was only 1 bit improved than doom. The graphics were average at best at that time.
AAAAAnd what does cool controls mean? That type of shit had been done ages ago. But one thing I agree to is the fact that the gameplay was fun. I believe it was the first FPS to have jetpacks.
At that time it was the first FPS I've played with mouse support.

And interactivity was quite high. Breakable fire hydrants, windows, ventilation grates, toilets, trash cans with rats etc; grenade "physics"... And man, crouching and looking up/down! It's nowhere near Doom.

P.S. I've just checked, and Quake was released a few months later... So probably you are right, but it took some time to get to Russia, so I guess my point of view is biased.

Well, if you're complaining about DNF being a graphics whore, go play The Witcher 2. Then DNF, and see which has a better graphics/latency ratio.

btw...

[img]

Ahem, Witcher is an RPG, and it has quite nice environment. And I can play it on medium :P. DNF won't even launch the menu on my old PC.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 06:26:54 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2011, 07:08:22 am »

The Modern Scrolls 5: Skyward Rim, the most anticipated FPS of 2011. Every other FPS released this year was just filler.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2011, 08:58:57 am »

The Modern Scrolls 5: Skyward Rim, the most anticipated FPS of 2011. Every other FPS released this year was just filler.

Nah. Everyone of those titles is "streamlined for the masses"

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2011, 11:09:20 am »

I see you've been browsing cracked.
Blargh.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2011, 11:20:23 am »

Fascinating enough, EVERY one of those pictures the gun is being held wrong. Unless I was taught how to hold a gun wrong, you don't plant it in the center of your chest to look down the sights.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4