Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Duke Nukem Forever  (Read 6519 times)

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
Duke Nukem Forever
« on: June 11, 2011, 11:02:28 am »

Took them damned long enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5svP9Wu0nk
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 11:04:50 am »

Meh. I've seen a let's play of the demo and I have to say that this is probably just generic shooter #45275, not the Duke Nukem we all knew and loved.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 11:07:56 am »

The Duke died a long time ago. Not interested in whatever bastardized thing that has finally been spat out, if I want more, I'll play DN3D.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 01:59:31 pm »

A bit too much modern shooter design. Cutscenes, cutscenes, cutscenes (unskippable ones at that). And the shooty parts ain't that great. The interactivity is neat, and some of the humour is still there, but that's not enough, I'd say.

Though I only got out of the first building and fought a bit outside. Maybe it gets better. I dunno.

EDIT: One thing they did bring back from older FPSes is puzzles. Like jumping and switch operating puzzles. Though there was also one instance of a physics puzzle, sorta like stacking bricks onto a sea-saw like structure in HL2. Except these are freaking barrels on a pipe, and 9 out of 10 times the freaking barrel slips off.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 02:02:19 pm by Virtz »

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 02:01:24 pm »

I agree with Virtz, but I am not at all hyped up about the game. I just look at it as a mindless shooter with some crude one liners. And I enjoy it.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 02:17:40 pm »

I'm sorry about you guys, but I still want this game.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 06:15:02 am »

I'll get it if it gets a single core support :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

zakkeh

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 07:10:35 am »

I've never played any of the Nukem series, and this one doesn't make me want to, really. From what I've seen, its just gimmicky as hell...
Or perhaps you're just sadistic and enjoy slow-cooking your goblins/kittens/nobles.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 08:18:42 am »

I watched Total Biscuit's videos on it... really, really disappointed. Now, I haven't played the original, but I've only heard praise about it, so I had some expectations about this one; plus it has become a running joke/expectation between me and some old friends of mine, so I was quite overjoyed when I heard it was actually coming out.

But it just seems so damn boring. At least Serious Sam 3 is coming out, that might fill the void :)
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 08:21:41 am »

But it just seems so damn boring. At least Serious Sam 3 is coming out, that might fill the void :)
I swear, if Serious Sam 3 is as silly as Serious Sam 2 or is a "modern" game, I am going to go fucking BERSERK
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 01:59:03 pm »

I've never played any of the Nukem series, and this one doesn't make me want to, really. From what I've seen, its just gimmicky as hell...
I have, and I advise that if you want some fun and some neat effects with a classic Doom-like game, then go play Duke Nukem 3D. In my disappointment after playing the demo, I replayed the first episode of Duke Nukem 3D again (and the shareware version provides the same length itself as a demo; just episode 1; Even that was longer than DNF's demo, though mine (D3D) was full version), and you know what? I had fun, and also realized just how advanced the graphics and effects were at the time, and why the hype existed in the first place.

Duke Nukem 3D was really fun, and did many things other shooters at the time didn't, and the unfortunate case/irony is that Duke Nukem Forever became the other shooters of today (regen health, gimmicks, forced one-liners, Hollywood directing). That was just sad to bear witness to. Despite my disappointment with DNF, I still want to continue my Duke3D experience, and take on Episode 2 and 3 sometime soon. Like I said, Duke3d was a fun game, and still is. Duke Nukem Forever, not so much. Seemed too predictable, and going for realism? Duke's so unreal, he's got balls of steel; one would say literally. I mean, he could take a rocket to the nuts, and still be in one piece (and "Ready for Action"). But that's also thanks to a portable med-kit (like the regen health bar, but you got to choose when to use it. Great for a pinch, but use too much of it, and you screwed yourself in a major battle later on and you have to run across some hazards to avoid fire. Mind you, they weren't common pickups either, so you could exploit them so many times. In Episode 2 and 3 especially, they were necessary to carry. Episode 4 (Atomic/Plutonium Pak), they were a must. That was when things got difficult to out of hand levels; and you still had to strategize when to use them.). Heck, even level design was pretty well done. I had to make sure I had the right weapon or equipment before taking the plunge somewhere. Once or twice, pipebombs just ruled with their use when I knew an ambush was going to happen. Even the trip mines took some strategy to place if you knew things were going to get intense after blowing up a core or something (required to make progress in a level, and a couple troops and rocket guys spawn from nowhere; place those trips where you know they'll spawn from, but away from where you'll be working.).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 02:12:16 pm by Itnetlolor »

rangarkash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 02:10:56 pm »

I played both the demo and the actual game, and I have to say... The demo doesn't really show the best of the game. The former is boring, the latter is not. Seriously. It's not a carbon copy of Duke3D with better graphics, but it provides its ample share of lulz. Don't shoot it down immediately because of similarities with modern FPSes... Remember that Duke3D was a satyre of the genre to begin with.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2011, 02:15:09 pm »

The worst part of DNF is probably the testosterone poisoning. Duke is so awesome he's even got Ego instead of HP - as in, enemy attacks don't really damage him, they just ruin his image if they connect. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 02:30:22 am »

Well, I must say that it's a high-quality game, with not so bad puzzles and carefully placed minigames. And the plot is, well, Duke.

I also like the enemy design.

Otherwise it has a pretty damn awful optimization and graphics are mediocre (good textures, not so good models). I am not a man to bitch about graphics, but if it requires so many computer resources, it could be better :P.

And as it was already said, it's gimmicky as hell.

I don't know how to feel about it yet.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 09:06:01 am »

Remember that Duke3D was a satyre of the genre to begin with.

Except it wasn't.
Shooters at that time were filled with badass main characters.
The Doom guy, The wolf 3D guy, the blakestone guy. Duke just added tits to it.
The real fun came from the absurd weapons, the puzzles and exploration.
The levels could be finished in 5 minutes(shut up 3D realms time was possible) but they could take as long as 1 hour if you explore. Now think of it for a while. 4 chapters with at least 3 levels each with increasing game time with every level(first level could be 1 hour but the last level could take 2 hours). Now compare that to the current games.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4