Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Duke Nukem Forever  (Read 6514 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Duke Nukem Forever
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2011, 10:30:01 pm »

I think the main issue was the whole "twelve years of development, with a game I played that long ago and have nostalgia over still, and this is the PoS that I get today? I remember when this was funny and edgy!"

Very little has shock value for comedy anymore. Everybody has heard everything; nothing is off limits.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2011, 10:43:30 pm »

Very little has shock value for comedy anymore. Everybody has heard everything; nothing is off limits.

You know what's comedic? The posts on random internet forums by people who've been watching Game of Thrones but never read the books. I'll paraphrase:
"OH MY GOD THEY KILLED
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
HE WAS THE ONLY REASON I WAS WATCHING! I QUIT! YOU SUCK, HBO!"

Trolled by a plot which was published in book form in 1996. The fact that they chose to watch only the video cliff notes edition with added gratuitous sex and nudity instead of reading the books is entirely their own fault. :P
It's up in the air whether you'd say the sex and nudity had shock value, but the spoilerized stuff? Yeah. Of course, the only comedy there is when people overreact to it by QUITTING FOREVER. It's a completely legitimate narrative device. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2011, 10:54:25 pm »

Does anybody else find it irony that the game was received worse on the consoles than a PC even though the team stated they are focusing on consoles?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]