Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: Crewtowns: A direforged succession game (Needing more players)  (Read 34885 times)

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crewtowns: A direforged succession game (Needing more players)
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2011, 03:02:17 pm »

Apologies for the slow pace of updates. Writing is a very, very slow process for me, especially when I have to jump between computers constantly like this.  Rest assured that I am making steady progress and will at the very least be finished before my week is over.

1st Hematite, 193
Summer is here. The wurad merchants brought us a pair of creatures they call rhinoceroses. They are not much unlike the fearsome beast that is the elephant, but with a mighty horn in place of a trunk. I took them up on their offer, since the rhinos could prove to have interesting military applications. Got me a grizzly bear too for the hell of it, could always use a guard animal for the prison.

21st Hematite, 193
I happened to eavesdrop on Baron Yasten Nombesmar's conversation with Ilius Iliuspugigia, the initiate and ambassador from Blavixaxus. He has been waiting for months to talk to the baron, and as far as I can tell, Yasten was really insistent on having them send ducks. For what I cannot fathom, but I am not one to question such things. Personally, I am much more fond of the turkey.

10th Malachite, 193
Well, it's only been three months since first I gave the order, and the architects have now finally gotten around to designing the bridge to the mines. Perhaps another three and they'll have the other half finished!

19th Malachite, 193
Another day, another migrant wave. No notable arrivals, but the young hunter fellow, Kumil Astodam (Sabrebasins), looks to have a promising future here. I'm considering recruiting him into The Blue Golds as my protégé.

20th Malachite, 193
Ol' Ilius Iliuspugigia is throwing himself one hell of a tantrum. Can't really blame him, he's been here since before my reign began... waiting... waiting... waiting to finish the deal with the baron. Wonder what the hell is taking him so long.

24th Malachite, 193
Look! The baron finally got around to speaking with the diplomat! I know, I can't believe it either.

He sure left in a hurry...

29th Malachite, 193
Heard the sound of whistling coming from the empty well. Upon further investigation, I discovered that the mason who had been building it, Stukos Organgirder, walled himself inside and had been trapped in there for several days. I just have to wonder how bloody stupid you have to be to do something like that. Normally I'd just have the well slowly pumped full of water to teach him a lesson in swimming, but I'm worried he might contaminate the well with whatever disease is affecting his brain.

30th Malachite, 193
I may have made some slight micalculations regarding water pressure. Only slight... although there may or may not have been injuries involved. At any rate, the well is now ready for use by the general public. It is crafted from blocks of obsidian, chain and bucket of solid gold, and the finest steel mechanisms. Only the best for the citizens of our great nation.

4th Galena, 193
The upper portion of the barracks is now for the most part complete; the bedrooms, offices, memorial chamber, etc. All that's left is the training floor.

10th Galena, 193
A vile force of darkness has arrived on our doorstep. Goblins marauders, a legion of them! Led by a duo of hammer lord and mace lord, and with filthy trolls at their side! Ambushed and killed an entire group of dwarven builders, causing more than a bit of ruckus in the fortress. I tell the peasants to keep inside the walls where it is safe, but they rush out to retrieve the corpses of the fallen, insisting that they must bury the dead immediately! Were they not listening when I told them that there were GOBLINS out there?

11th Galena, 193
I've managed to corral most of the general populace into the burrows and keep the naive peasants in line. There are few still hiding beyond the fortress walls, but they are on their own now. The military has been called to station at the main entrance. I've decided to join them in battle. Since I cannot seem to find my crossbow, I will have to make due with shield and fist. May Limul be with us...

18th Galena, 193
Bloody mess it was!

There was a huge oversight in our plan, the doors of the main entrance were propped open by the dagger of a recently slain kobold thief! When our soldiers saw the goblins approaching through it, they went into an inexplicable bloodrage and immediately charged out to battle the encroaching hordes! The rest of us were forced to follow.

The first phase of battle was over quickly. Most of the goblins were wounded by traps and offered little resistance. Seeing that his squad had been defeated, the macelord fled to the south with the remaining crossbowmen... and, in an amazing display of tactical error, the majority of our troops went running after them. Which left only the commander Ikidarsha, the axedwarf Imush Edanathel, the marksdwarves Bim "Shimmershot" Onameskal, Monom Odmosus, Zaneg Sibrekuker, and myself, to fend off the remaining horde

Ikidarsha, likely enraged by the death of both her beloved pets, charged headfirst into the horde of pikemen, alone, hacking away at the goblins like a woman posessed! Imush and Bim quickly came to her aid, and what ensued was a glorious whirlwind of axe and limb!

Bim, however, did not survive the encounter.  The encroaching horde came down upon the marksdwarves and myself. I did what I could to fight off the goblins, crushing skull after skull on my shield, but my comrades were slaughtered before my eyes! The rest of the military returned to regroup with us from the south, and Ikidarsha and Imush from the north, thus we were able to slaughter the remaining goblins effortlessly.

A decisive victory for the dwarven military. 21 dead goblins, 5 dead trolls, and 12 live prisoners of war. There's no sign of the mace lord's body, he must've managed to escape.

I estimate 18 dwarfy deaths in total. 12 civilian, and 6 soldier. Most notable among the dead:
Erith "Laborkissed" Erithalis, Stonecrafter of Great Legend, who had the unfortunate privilege of being the very first person to meet the goblins face-to-face.
Iden "Onepage" Nirmorul, Slayer of Renowndiamond the Cyclops, who had taken a crossbow bolt through the head before the fighting even began.
Monom "Tunneledrooms" Odmosus, Marksdwarf of the Most Elite Variety, who was separated from his comrades and minced by a horde of pikemen.

The majority of civilian deaths were lowly socialite peasants, too foolish to listen to reason. Nonetheless I am prepared for the wave of civil unrest that will undoubtedly erupt from their deaths.

In other news... for his outstanding service to The Prestigious Furnaces throughout his years at Crewtowns, Imush has earned himself the title of "Imush Stirring the First Crusher." That's quite the moniker, if I do say so myself.

Siege MVPs, note the year
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

19th Galena, 193
We've discovered a grisly scene. Logem Mebzutherar's stiff, battered corpse still clinging to the severed leg of a goblin. It looks as if the battle was very close, but there's no sign of the owner. The fiend must've escaped with its life.

20th Galena, 193
Trolls! Left behind by the goblins, no doubt. They found a pair of workers hiding out in the tanner's workshop beyond the fortress walls. Tore the place up good. One of the dwarves was killed right off the bat, the other made a run for it. Got her foot torn clean off, and after that the troll proceeded to beat her with it for days! It's a bloody miracle she survived! Turn's out she's the mayor's fiancé, Kogsak Mafoldumat. He's probably not going to take this very well.

27th Galena, 193
In what should ideally be a time of celebration, civil unrest has reached near-critical levels. Fist fights breaking out in the hallways, buildings being toppled, peasants going bloody insane. I can't seem to give out beatings fast enough anymore. I've hired Kumil Astodam as my second-in-command to help bring the masses under control.

On a lighter note, the miner's drawbridge is complete. It is built in such a way that raising it will seal off the passages on both sides of the river.

See? Nifty.

Will we survive, or will Crewtowns systematically destroy itself? Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:44:51 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2011, 05:44:46 pm »

I love how Yasten's bizarre orders to the caravan got mentioned. :P What can I say, he likes ducks...
And now we have plenty more goblin gladiators for Team Green in the arena!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2011, 05:44:59 pm »

This is still going?  I'll (re)join, and this time I have no plans to disappear.

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2011, 06:00:36 pm »

Im OCD as hell to with DF to.... Cant wait for my turn :D

Michael_Almeida

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:general idiocy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2011, 08:48:13 pm »

This is still going?  I'll (re)join, and this time I have no plans to disappear.

We actually looped around once and some of us got two turns. But if things go the way they've seemed to have been going, I might need to make some changes to things.

Edit: Alright, here's what I'm going to do: I will give Draxis the turn after wypie's.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:03:56 pm by Michael_Almeida »
COMPETENT MODDER
ADEQUATE DRAWER
LEGENDARY PROCRASTINATOR

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2011, 09:44:32 am »

Howsit guys..

Is there still a slot open for me to join.  I’m new to the forum but not new to DF

Michael_Almeida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2011, 09:50:57 am »

Howsit guys..

Is there still a slot open for me to join.  I’m new to the forum but not new to DF

Added. The more people the merrier. You can have the turn after Draxis'.
COMPETENT MODDER
ADEQUATE DRAWER
LEGENDARY PROCRASTINATOR

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2011, 01:00:20 am »

Thanks  :)

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2011, 02:59:33 am »

Had a quick peek, fort is looking good so far guys  8) . dwarfs are living in luxury.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2011, 06:28:58 pm »

If by luxury, you mean the hospital/prison. Because that's where half the dwarves are right now :P

1st Limestone, 193
It is now the Autumn... or should I say "The Fall." Morale in Crewtowns is at an all time low, paranoia of impending goblin sieges runs rampant. I've seen this kind of thing before; if the rioting is allowed to get any worse, it could lead to the complete and total decimation of our economy. I will not allow that to happen, I will see to it that anyone who seeks to oppose my will is subdued with great prejudice.

I had the enemy detainees placed in the prison cellar for now. Turns out one of them was actually a wild duck! Wait 'till Yasten hears about this...

2nd Limestone, 193
Who punches a duck? Honestly!

Tis indeed a quack most fearful, but still it pales in comparison to the majesty of the gobble.

3rd Limestone, 193

The city broker seems to want nothing to do with the community.  He's locked himself inside the Mason's Workshop and won't come out. Can't say I blame him, these people are being rather unpleasant.

5th Limestone

So an engineer went all loopy on us and decided to pick a fight with the local grizzly. This did not end well for the man...

10th Limestone
Let off steam by taking some hooligan out to the catacombs and beating him so hard he passed out. Let's just say there was a lot of blood, and I may have bitten off his nose... by accident of course.

12th Limestone, 193
The wuradi initiate drew up the trade agreement and left on his merry way.

15th Limestone
Our commander is throwing the mother of all fits. She's stomping around the barracks, swinging her axe at anyone who gets near... damn near took someone's head off. All of us are scared for our lives. While she was sleeping in her room, I quietly snuck in a stockpile of food and booze, and barred the door from the outside. She can come out when she's  calmed down a bit, hopefully the soothing presence of Uvarral the Weapon Rack will help with that.

17th Limestone
The crimes just keep piling up, not even our glorious commander is above the law. I've lost count of all the cases of insanity, and care not to recall their names.

19th Limestone, 193

Deduk emerged from the Mason's Workshop for the first time in weeks, presenting to me a strange table he calls Zakgollesast Bistokmishos, which translates to... er...
And by Armok it's one of the most hideous things I've ever seen! Hairy Beach!? But for some odd reason the other dwarves seem to love it... and, well, there's been a lot of complaining about the poorness of our dining room, so it may as well become the centerpiece.

20th Limestone 193
Migrants! A welcome sight through all the madness. Their crop is fairly underwhelming, but they did happen to bring along Bomrek "Gildshoves" Oltartomus... a brewer of world reknown and the highest level mastery! Huzzah!

23rd Limestone, 193
I freed Ikidarsha from her room today, place was torn up something awful, but she does seem to be in a much better mood now. A little peace and quiet was just what she needed.

24th Limestone, 193

Mayor, what do you think you're doing? Criminals can't have meetings!

Come to think of it, criminals can't be mayors either... but I'm willing to let it slide just this once, since he's been such a good sport.

1st Sandstone, 193
The crime rate is finally beginning to slow down. No doubt because most of its transgressors have either been sent to jail or to the hospital.

2nd Sandstone, 193
Now that things are finally stabilizing, the mining operation can finally begin. The cavern walls have been breached, and I've sent all of our finest miners across the river to mine out all the ore they can find.

4th Sandstone, 193

A giant olm came out of the water to greet the miners. It meant no harm, but naturally they all panicked like the little elvish girls they are. They ganged up on the creature, chopping off all it's legs before caving in its skull.

Is it normal for giant olms to just harmlessly glomp your dwarves? I just found that hilarious.

7th Sandstone, 193
The mayor's sentence has ended and he's free to go. Prancing around like an idiot, never seen anyone so happy to be out of jail.

8th Sandstone, 193
Turns out the rhinoceroses are so bloody stupid they can't even eat fast enough to save themselves from starvation. At the very least their butchered flesh will feed the fortress for the weeks to come.

One of the prisoners managed to escape from his cell today. He seemed real smug about himself... until I got my hands on him that is.

9th Sandstone, 193
Another escape attempt! Do they not realize that they're only making the punishment worse in the end!? At this rate I may have to upgrade to steel chains.

Or not... seems my protege got a little bit carried away with justice. Her husband just so happens to be caged in this very prison, wonder how he'll take the news.
Likot Kubuktosid is stricken by melancholy!

10th Sandstone, 193

Back to square one. The citizens aren't happy with the news of Melbil's execution, at all. There's rioting all throughout the fortress, and it's even worse than before... now it's beginning to affect people who actually matter!!

13th Sandstone, 193
I've grown weary of all this foolishness. I've hired a third to my cabinet of guards from The Unseen Works to further assist in the restoration of order. A tough lass by the name of Muthkat Ledzedot, quite handy with a mace.

14th Sandstone, 193
Got tired of having that crazy soap maker around. Decided to execute him personally, with a crossbow bolt to the head.

I may have aimed a bit low..
As a result, the citizens, have taken to referring to me by the name "Boatsfatal the Grim Flags"... I'm starting to think they really don't appreciate my methods.

18th Sandstone, 193
So I hear Baron Yasten got his arse kicked by a 6-year old child. Wasn't there to see it, but word travels fast in this town.
Uh... how did this guy get elected again?

25th Sandstone, 193

Kumil has barely been here a month, and he's already dispensing justice like a true dwarf. I am so proud...

1st Timber, 193
Unbelievable! My protege has been attacked... and permanantly crippled! He's lost the use of an arm and a leg, and will have to walk with a crutch using his only remaining hand. Such fine marksmanship, gone completely to waste! The perpetrator, Vabok Adaggeshud, thinks lightly of his 26 day sentence... but he doesn't know that I have "special plans" for him when he goes free...

15th Timber, 193

The goblins have sent assassins to our midst! The lucky fellow who spotted them made it safely back to the fortress, by virtue of a dwarfly shield of live puppies. I'll leave the army deal with this one, I have a prison to run.

19th Timber, 193
What a bunch of pushovers, what they gave us could only charitably be called a fight. One of them even somehow found himself trapped in a green glass aquarium! A second ambush came from the south; a master swordsman and his pack of lashers. They went into full-on retreat after a few seconds of concentrated bolt fire from the Barricaded Blankets. With Ikidarsha hot on their trail, they didn't get very far.

Overall, the goblins managed to injure a whopping 0 dwarves. A flawless victory for the might of Crewtowns!

Well, almost flawless... sodding drama queens. I stopped minding them a long time ago. They can rot in prison for all I care.

Imush caught a hapless goblin thief on his way back to the fortress and quickly beheaded it. Can you believe it considered itself to be a "master thief?"

20th Sandstone, 193
Kumil is back on his feet, and administering justice with one leg and nothing but a crutch of palm. The man's work is nothing short of inspiring. In fact, he's even inspired me to recruit all the paralyzed soldiers back into the military! They're understandably a bit put off by this idea, but they will come to realize their potential with time.

26th Sandstone, 193
Meng succumbed to the infection he received from the beating I gave him. Guess the soap supply ran dry while I wasn't lookin'. Oh well, time to start making more.

29th Sandstone 193
A thief tried to mug me on my way across the northern bridge. Shoulda seen the look on his face when I started fighting back.

There were a ton of insanity related deaths I didn't bother mentioning. I'm getting worried that this might not blow over before my reign ends.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:12:56 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2011, 06:39:32 pm »

Awesome! I really do like your writing, and the hardline sheriff/guard captain is a cool point of view. :)
Of course Yasten let the child beat on him, do you think he's the kind of person to go around cracking children's skulls?! That, and, he probably didn't even feel it through his layers of pudge. :P Has he made any more friends yet, by the way?
Good work getting this fort going again with awesome updates. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Michael_Almeida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2011, 08:03:12 pm »

Sadly Spish your time is almost up so I'm going to have to ask you to finish up and post your save as soon as possible. :/
COMPETENT MODDER
ADEQUATE DRAWER
LEGENDARY PROCRASTINATOR

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2011, 09:44:56 am »

Aye, gonna finish the year and post up the save. And then finish the journal whenever I feel like it. Go ahead and notify wypie
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 10:35:45 am by Spish »

Michael_Almeida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2011, 12:43:05 pm »

I just notified wypie. Hopefully the rest of your turn will go somewhat smoothly.
COMPETENT MODDER
ADEQUATE DRAWER
LEGENDARY PROCRASTINATOR

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2011, 01:28:07 pm »

Im ready when you are i got lots of free time atm so my turn should go by smooth... i hope. (tries to look innocent)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20