Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Twinklepulley - Haunted Tropical Forest (succession)  (Read 11219 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Twinklepulley - Haunted Tropical Forest (succession)
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2011, 10:56:42 am »

More updates coming out soon. I also begun to use Mayday's graphic pack, as it's just too confusing for me to use the vanilla ascii graphics.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2011, 03:12:11 pm »

9th of Hematite, year 16

We struck to another adamantine vein today! I ordered to halt the mining project there, as we can't be sure if there is connection to the underworld inside that vein. I just don't want to attract any unwanted attention right now.

16th of Hematite, year 16

Our military must be stronger to rebel any sieges, so I ordered the construction of adamantine equipment today. Five full sets in fact, with adamantine battle axes. With such equipment and enough training our military will be unbeatable!

17th of Hematite, year 16

Remember the mason who went fey last month? Well, he came out from the workshop today, carrying statue of our king made from gabbro.

There were other decorations as well, though nothing worth of mentioning. Materials included iron, gems, bone and other things.

I will decide later what to do with the statue. For now it will be stored to the stockpile.

19th of Hematite, year 16

One of our dwarves spotted strange beast inside the first cavern!

They said that it was huge spider with green feathers and bloated body. I ordered our soldiers to station near the entrance to the cavern, just in case if it decides that a dwarf would make an excellent meal.

25th of Hematite, year 16

This is Bluntedbridged, the new mayor of the fortress.

Terrible incident took place here in Twinklepulley during the last few days. The forgotten beast managed to enter our fortress and killed several our brothers and sisters during the mayhem. Among the dead are Kipi II, katana II, the squad member of katana's squad and four other dwarves. Besides the dead one dwarf is injured, the captain of the guard, and several dwarves have shown signs of snapping already.

Fortunately, if one could say so after this tragedy, we managed to kill the beast, though now our fortress is covered in blood, vomit and pieces of corpses. It fell to my hands to see the recovery of this place, task nobody sane dwarf would want.

How all this happened then? Well, apparently the beast was able to pass through the traps we had set out. Katana was recovery some mysterious head injuries while the assault took place, so there was only this Morul, our second soldier, guarding the entrance. She was slain immediately and so the beast entered the fortress.

Next the beast headed in the sleeping quarters, where it killed second dwarf. Katana was still resting and Kipi II was on her way towards the beast, she after all had a bit knowledge how to fight.

Next stop for the beast was our dining hall. In there it killed three other dwarves, one of them being one of the two miners ordered to attack the beast with their axes. After that it headed to office section, where katana II, Kipi II and dozen other dwarves engaged it in hopes to kill it. Unfortunately katana and Kipi died during the battle, leaving only nine unskilled dwarves and the captain of the guard to fight against the creature.

Finally the beast was killed by the overwhelming force, though katana, Kipi and several other dwarves had already wounded it pretty badly. Let me tell you, that beast was tough thing to kill.

I also heard that one of the dead was killed by our captain of the guard due vandalism which was done during tantrum.

You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2011, 05:17:51 pm »

2nd of Malachite, year 16

We have some serious problems here. It seems that nearly half of the fortress is tantruming, or so it at least feels to me. There has been some vandalism and disorderly conduction, three dwarves have been sentenced so far.

Two of the criminals will be beaten when our captain of the guard finds time to carry out the punishments, and the third dwarf will spend twenty-six days in prison.

On a side note, I have claimed the quarters of Kipi II, as those were the only rooms fitting for mayor.

5th of Malachite, year 16

The second criminal sentenced to beating died today. The other one survived the punishment and is now in hospital for healing.

Strange thing is, the captain of the guard decided that the dead of the criminal was unnecessary, and so she sentenced herself to jail for 201 days. That's nearly an year! Who is going to carry out the punishments when she is in prison?

There was also another dwarf who was sentenced to prison, for disorderly conduction. Twenty-five days was the sentence.

8th of Malachite, year 16

I have lost a count of the crimes committed here during last few days. At least one murder has been done, and one dwarf died to beating. Vandalism and other misbehavior is daily here now, which saddens me very much. It's sad that the deaths of seven dwarves caused all this mayhem here.

On the positive side, we got some new blood. Small group of migrants arrived today, eight dwarves if I'm specific. What are they thinking when they see this place in such a disorder as it is now?

12th of Malachite, year 16

The captain of the guard is now leading a squad of five soldiers, her included, and I ordered them to carry the adamantine equipment produced earlier. And just in time, as one of our fellow citizens went berserk in the middle of statue garden, which was full of grieving dwarves!

That dwarf is dead now, as that was the only option if we want to ensure the safety of this fortress.

2nd of Galena, year 16

I think the situation is calming down a little. There are still some outbreaks out there, and I think almost half of the population is queued to be jailed, among them all of our guards. Our population has dropped down to seventy-two dwarves, which is bad considered that we had over ninety citizens just a month ago.

I think we need to build more coffins.

27th of Galena, year 16

We are currently under martial law. Our guards have the permission to kill anyone they suspect being a threat to this society. Our population has dropped to sixty-three dwarves, and I suspect that it will get much lower before all this is over.

The crime rate is extremely high, I think there is not many dwarves who haven't been either commiting crimes or been the injured party. We have ran out of coffins but the construction orders are still waiting for our manager, Zech, to get out from jail. While we are waiting for more coffins the corpses are just rotting out there, spreading miasma everywhere. And that's making our citizens even more unhappy.

During all this the human caravan arrived. We didn't have enough time to deal with them properly, and as we are lacking proper trader, we just hauled some crafts to the depot, and the first dwarf who happened to wander there bought some food and alcohol. We have currently no way to ensure the production of those necessities, so we need everything we can get from other sources.

2nd of Limestone, year 16

Things are calming down a bit, or so I hope. There are no punishments pending, and we have only two dwarves serving their sentence in jail, one of the two being our captain of the guard.

Unfortunately I have to inform that Zech snapped yesterday, and her condition is unrecoverable. So from now on I will act as the manager of this fortress as well, hopefully we can begin the production of coffins soon enough. I tell you, I getting sick of seeing all those corpses scattered everywhere.

There are still some deaths occurring here, mostly due thirst or wounds caused by the beatings and attacks. But the rate is lower now, and I hope it gets even lower during the next few weeks.

11th of Limestone, year 16

This is Onol Geareddweller the Admired Holiness, the acting captain of the guards while our leader is in jail. It's my sorrowful duty to inform that we lost our mayor today to madness. It also fell to me to take care of this place until our leader returns or until we get new mayor.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2011, 05:21:45 pm »

13th of Limestone, year 16

This is the official diary of Craftedbristles, the new mayor of the Twinklepulley. I was elected to lead this fortress during these difficult times. I officially took the task from Geareddweller, who was acting leader while the captain of the guard was in prison, today.

As my first task I promoted Geareddweller to the position of the captain of the guard. I decided that he deserved the position, as he has done good job at trying to enforce peace in this fortress while the old captain is in prison. He has killed fifteen criminals, several of them being citizens who went to berserk, as well as dealing the beating judgement to others. During all this time he hasn't hesitated, even though his task has been one nobody would want.

Things have been relatively calm lately, though few deaths has occurred. Most of the deaths has been due thirst, caused by either being neglecting of prisoners or by melancholy, which has made dwarves to ignore their basic needs like food and drink. During last few days only one murder has happened, done by diagnoser Bluntedbridged during berserk. I already ordered the guards to take her down, as she has taken residence in the quarters reserved to mayor. She must be dealt before anything else happens and before I can claim the quarters to myself.

27th of Limestone, year 16

Things are clearly calming down after the last berserk dwarf was killed. Unfortunately she was able to murder several children before the guards too her down. There hasn't been much tantrums either, though people are clearly sad due the late events. Well, I hope this progression continues, perhaps we can soon start worrying about rebuilding this place.

Speaking of rebuilding, I took the positions of manager and broker for now. When things have returned to normal I will reassign those duties to someone else, but for now I want to keep tight rein of things here. We have also begun constructing more coffins, and several bodies have already been buried properly. That's the first step of recovering this tragedy.

Lastly, we got some good news today as small group of migrants arrived. I'm a bit surprised that anyone dares to venture here, as I'm sure that the news of what has been going on here has spread to mountain home already. Perhaps these nine dwarves were already on their way here and didn't want to turn around? Who knows, but they are more than welcome to join this fortress and to help us in recovery!

22nd of Sandstone, year 16

We have had only one tantrum since last entry, which was almost a month ago. People are still agitated, but at least life is slowly returning to normal now.

The rebuilding of our society has begun. Bins and coffins are being built, and the new still has been constructed and alcohol is produced as I write this. Food we have more than enough, and I really hope that the caravan from mountain home arrives next month so that we can buy some supplies. We also need send a message to the queen to explain what has happened here. The liaison can act as messenger on this matter.

25th of Sandstone, year 16

The last corpse has been buried, which is a good thing. I have also ordered the preparation of personal tomb to our captain of the guard, who is currently in hospital due some injuries he took to right upper arm. The tomb shall express the gratitude I and several others feel towards him due his acts during the downfall of the fortress. Without him things would probably be much worse.

10th of Timber, year 16

Not much has happened lately worth of reporting. We have been working to secure the basic needs as well as in the tomb for the captain of the guard. I have also ordered the construction of several weapon traps outside, just in case that something decides to try to enter this fortress from above.

16th of Timber, year 16

The caravan is here! They came from north, and have several mules carrying lots of goods!

They also brought us the news of goblin ambush squad east from us. Fortunately those filthy buggers aren't coming to us just yet, instead they are hunting some zombie elephants. Either the elephants kill them or they will head towards us next. Well, let them come, we are ready!

21st of Timber, year 16

We did some wonderful trading today. For few loos crafts we got tons of alcohol and food! I think it's safe to say that our basic supplies are secured!

In other news, the goblin ambush squad is just outside our gates. Three of them were trapped by cage traps and now four of them are sitting out there. They are neither fleeing nor trying to enter. I don't want to send our soldier out there, so we shall see what they will do before anything else.

26th of Timber, year 16

Our mechanic decided to wander outside to reload one of the traps. The poor bastard got killed by goblins. Before dying she was able to alarm us that there was second ambush squad out there, waiting for us to come out.

I gave the order than under no circumstances anybody are allowed to go outside without direct order from me.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2011, 06:25:05 pm »

5th of Moonstone, year 16

Winter is here. We have constructed a temporal wall to block the entrance so nobody can wander outside nor the goblins can enter. Unfortunately our fisher managed to slip out, so we begun working with emergency entrance on the west side of the wall. The entrance will be small tunnel with lots of traps in there.

5th of Opal, year 16

The emergency exit is ready and open. The fisher stuck outside was able to enter the fortress safely and the caravan and the liaison were able to leave as well.

Speaking of the liaison, I gave him the message which he promised to deliver to the queen. He was also sorry about our tragedy and promised to speak behalf of us so that we receiver more migrants soon. I also ordered some alcohol and wood from next caravan.

8th of Opal, year 16

Apparently one of the caravan guards decided to attack the four goblins stationed outside. Yes, there were only four left, I believe that the second assault squad just decided to leave us alone. He was able to kill one goblin and wound one badly enough to make it flee, though the two remaining goblins were able to kill him soon after. I still don't want to send our soldiers out, so there is nothing we can do.

22nd of Opal, year 16

I got sick for waiting the goblins to leave, so I sent our guards outside. They were able to deal with the goblins, though unfortunately Geareddweller got injured during the process. I ordered him to go to hospital for treatment.

Now that the goblin problem is solved I ordered the temporal wall to be torn down and the emergency exit to be blocked. After that the traps will be reloaded and everything left outside will be hauled inside.

We also received a sad message today. The third guard, who was jailed due crimes, died to thirst today. So we have two guards left, both of them more or less badly injured. I think we should consider drafting a real squad, but first we need to produce proper equipment for them. From adamantine, of course.

28th of Obsidian, year 16

This is the last day of my reign. Tomorrow someone else takes control of the fort, even though I will keep my position as the mayor.

Last few months have been quite sad for the fortress, and I don't envy the next overseer for his or hes task of rebuilding this society. The work has already begun, and we have secured our food and alcohol supplies as well as strengthened the entrance. We currently have only two guards, but I have given the order of producing ten full sets from adamantine, including adamantine axes. The duty of next overseer is to establish proper military, hopefully using the equipment we have and under construction.

Both of our guards are quite badly wounded. Yes, they can perform their duties and can chase out some wild animals, but neither one are fit for proper battle against goblins. That's why we need a proper military.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2011, 06:46:33 pm »

THE SAVE

Notes to next overseer:

I queued ten breastplates, helmets, gauntlets, greaves, high-boots, shields and axes from adamantine.

There will be spams from forgotten beasts in second (I think?) cavern. Those happens only occasionally and last for few days game time.

I didn't claim new dwarf since the death of Kipi II. If the next overseer wants you can always name the mayor after me, Kipi III.

The two guards are in no fit for proper combat. Really. One of them seems to have lost the ability to use other arm and other guard is using left arm for crutch. So we really need that military squad up and running.

There is a small (3*3) room under construction in the floor where all the coffins are. It's the eastern room along northern wall of the general graveyard, and it should be empty at the moment. My plans were to smooth it out and then build a tomb for Geareddweller there, but I kinda forgot to finish it out before my turn ended. So if next overseer would finish it up, just smooth it and build the coffin and dedicate it to Geareddweller, I would appreciate that.

Lastly, even though the mayor is also broker, we probably need a broker with appraisal skill so that we can see the wealth of the fortress again.

General thoughts about my turn:

At first the turn was a bit boring, most of the spring went on to make myself familiar with the layout and where to find everything. It probably would have stayed boring without the FB attack and tantrum spiral, which killed around 50-60 dwarves. At best we had something like 92 dwarves, and even though we got two immigrant waves the population is just above 40 now. I actually had some fun moments when watching the fortress to succumb to the spiral.

By the way, a interesting fact, from all the criminals only one survived; Geareddweller, the captain of the guard. He also has sixteen notable kills, all being other dwarves.

EDIT:
As Zhaine wants to skip turn at the moment I took the liberty of sending PM to kitty40 as futility is away until Tuesday.

EDIT2:
Forgot to mention that the bridge at the entrance is currently raised, so it's invisible. There was no channels bellow it and it was retracted version, so I kinda forgot to lower it before my turn ended. Just be careful when lowering it again... :P
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 07:15:51 pm by Kipi »

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2011, 04:17:12 am »

I'd like another turn after everyone else is done.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2011, 11:29:26 am »

I have gone ahead and skipped my turn.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2011, 03:15:44 pm »

I messaged theduck because I wasn't sure if anyone else had.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2011, 07:14:55 pm »

I messaged theduck because I wasn't sure if anyone else had.

Actually, hold that. I finally managed to find some time to do my turn. Unskip me, but I will gladly take the next turn if duck hasn't gone yet.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2011, 12:10:10 am »

It would appear not, so it looks like you are good.
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

futility

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2011, 12:11:36 am »

I'm back - will update the thread info tomorrow.

PS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I"M DEAD

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2011, 03:58:54 am »

At least I died in battle. Twice. :P
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2011, 07:41:57 am »

At least I died in battle. Twice. :P

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 09:35:10 am by hitty40 »

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2011, 08:59:59 am »

I'm back - will update the thread info tomorrow.

PS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I"M DEAD

Well, at least I set up tombs for Futility and Zech before they died, eh?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6