Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Twinklepulley - Haunted Tropical Forest (succession)  (Read 11231 times)

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Twinklepulley - Haunted Tropical Forest (succession)
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2011, 08:36:47 am »

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Granite 1st

Well according to dwarven tradition, each spring a new overseer is elected. Since I am the only remaining member of the first seven (Futility being unwilling to take on another term) I have been selected. I'm still not certain who was overseer last year, but he managed to find the legendary material adamantine. This cursed material has led to the downfall of many fortresses. For within the core of the pillars an opening to the underworld can be found. Apparently, this threshold was indeed breached, but was sealed before the demons could spill out and slay us all.

Honestly, I'd rather not have to bear the responsibility of the leading of this fort upon my shoulders. However, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, so I consider it my sacred duty to take on this burden.

Looking over our layout, I come to realize something. This place is a jumbled mess! I have a general idea of where everything is, but it's pretty disorganized. Why do we have two trade depots? The first subterranean floor has large stockpiles strewn about in no pattern that is discernible to me. I'd like to reorganize the workshops and stockpiles. Also I believe that we require at least a simple chantry or shrine to the pantheon. As well I also feel we should have some tribute to our fallen heroes.

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2011, 09:11:19 am »

How did you manage to wall off the candy cane, katana? I thought demons could fly...

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2011, 09:26:59 am »

Assign masonry to dwarf that just breached hell. Grab othroclase or something 3 blocks away, place. Dwarves are only like 1/10th as fast, demons don't absolutely outrun them (speed 0 is 0 frame delay, 1000 is 10 frame delay, so demons are NOT 1000 times as fast as a dwarf). Plus, the demons don't spawn RIGHT there. They spawn a few levels down, and a lot of the time not directly below the tube.

They can fly, just not fast enough.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2011, 11:15:32 am »

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Granite 10th

Another thing I have noticed is that we have no dining hall. While trying to decide on a suitable location I discovered we have a large open space that has a Craftsdwarfs' Workshop for some reason. Due it's proximity to the catacombs, part of this area will be allocated to our hall of heroes. Part of it will also contain our shrine to the gods. However I am uncertain whether this is the best place for our dining hall.

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Granite 26th

Work is underway on the new workshop areas. They are organized so that a minimum amount of time will be required to retrieve materials. There will be a stockpile in the same room as the workshop, and a larger stockpile on the floor below is accessible via staircase.

This particular area will contain mason's workshops and mechanics workshops, and is therefore be over a stone stockpile.

In other news, the outpost liason, who was here when I took office, is still here. For some reason Futility has yet to meet with him, despite my urgings. Apparently he has decided moving stones around is more important.

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Granite 27th

Futility has finally met with the liaison. Hopefully he will be able to return to the Mountainhomes later today.

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Slate 8th

Something strange is happening. I have repeatedly gotten reports of sounds of flames in the depths. At first I thought it might just be the sounds of our forges near the magma sea, but then I realized that any dwarf worthy of the name would recognize that. I'm not certain what this could mean, but it is certainly foreboding.

(I'm getting messages stating "The Forgotten Beast is caught in a cloud of flames"), however, there are no Forgotten Beasts in the unit list, and no reports of combat involving Forgotten Beasts. Perhaps it's the demons?)

I have expanded our farms a little bit. We have a lot of seeds, but no plants. This is compounded by the fact that we apparently have no one tending the fields. I am a farmer first and foremost, and I am appalled at this. We need plants to make alcohol! I consider it my top priority to get the farms working once again!

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Slate 14th

Migrants. Hopefully some will be farmers.

Not really any one worth noting. However, with the addition of these new migrants, we have reached the status of "village".

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Felsite 7th

I have received a report that a child has been possessed by mysterious forces. He has begun acting strange and is heading to the workshops. We will see what kind of wondrous artifact will be constructed through this possession. I hope that he will be able to find the materials he needs. I do not want him to suffer the same fate as poor Kipi, especially since he is so young.

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Felsite 8th

It appears that he has claimed one of the craftsdwarf workshops that we use for strand extraction. He is off collecting materials for
the artifact.

In the meantime I have set up a two carpenter's workshops and a single bowyer's workshop above a wood stockpile. They are set up similarly to the mason's area, which is adjacent.

(I found "Kogan" the Forgotten Beast. Still not certain exactly what happened to him, but he's dead.)

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Felsite 13th

The elves are here. They likely won't have much to trade, but we can never have too many drinks, so I'll buy any of those that they have as well as wood. I'm just not sure which Trade Depot they'll head to.

The kid is plugging away at his artifact, made of Schist and Wood. Probably not that valuable.

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Felsite 15th

Kid's artifact is finished. As I suspected, not too special.

As usual for possessions he has no idea of how he made it, so he has gained no knowledge of woodcrafting. Well at least he retained his sanity.

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Felsite 24th

Elves have gotten to the trade depot. I have ordered that the robes the previous overseer ordered made, and I have had production continue, be brought to the trade depot.

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Felsite 27th

I was originally going to handle negotiations, but felt thirsty, so I had Erush, the militia commander handle it. He bought a few barrels, all the elves had, for three robes.

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2011, 01:01:21 pm »

How's the military doing?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.

futility

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2011, 03:11:26 am »

Haha, how's the tailoring going =p  Have there been any evil beasts wandering around?

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2011, 08:45:02 am »

I haven't really paid much attention to the military. I have considered making some expansions, but thus far have left them alone. They are just training for now.

Tailoring seems to be going well, since we have a whole bunch of robes that are getting progressively more well made. Various beasties have been roaming around, but have given us no trouble, yet. I'll keep my eye on them.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2011, 08:55:36 am »

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Hematite 24th

I have noticed that our only jeweler is currently operating the furnaces. I am uncertain whether or not to pull her off of that duty to put her back on jewel cutting and setting. Our primary export is clothing, but I might want to supplement them with jewel set crafts as well.

I have expanded our crafts area with an area for jewelry. It also features two craftsdwarves workshops. Our next goal is a clothes making area.

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Malachite 2nd

Elections for a mayor were recently held, and one Erush Kacothodon was elected. He still requires an office and quarters, plans for which are being drawn up. However he came into my office today...

Zech is in her office, working on the plans for the mayor's accommodations. It's a modest office, with nothing more than a simple table and chair in a niche off of a corridor. The walls aren't even fully smoothed, some of it's just hewn rock. But it's suitable for Zech's needs.

Just then the mayor comes and stands behind her chair.

"Hello, Mayor, I've almost got the plans for your office and quarters finished."

"Excellent, but that's not why I've come. I believe that this fortress requires some diversification in it's clothing industry. Order two cave swallow leather items."

Zech decided not to argue with her, but when she was out of earshot grumbled, "Crazy nobles." Getting cave swallow leather would be very difficult.

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Malachite 14th

More migrants. The mayor's quarters are nearly finished, just needs to have furniture hauled in.

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Malachite 19th

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 12:27:34 pm by Lord Zack »

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2011, 02:02:08 pm »

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Malachite 19th, continued

I have gotten reports that a horrible monster has arrived in the caverns. Knowing that there is only one way into the fortress from the caverns, I order the Walled Scholars to defend it.

The battle has begun and already a casualty. Tulon Kosothosed struck the first blow to Efeye, fracturing it's upper left leg, but was quickly grabbed, kicked, his right arm and shattering his bone, before being let go and punched in the head, causing a fatal injury to the brain. He will definitely get a

I have gotten reports of civilians rushing to the scene, hopefully to bury him, but probably also to strip him of his belongings. They will probably get in the way of the battle, and get killed.

Just in, the creature has been slain! The militia commander, named katana, like the first hero of Twinklepulley, and who was apparently the previous overseer, eventually got a good shot in with his adamantine short sword, which removed the creature's torso from it's lower body. No civilian casualties surprisingly.

I have begun looking for new recruits for the Walled Scholars and planning for increased defenses for the passage to the caverns.

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Galena 5th

Congratulations Erush Kacothodon and Risen Lalturamost! May you have a long and happy marriage! Interesting that the wedding came only a few weeks after Erush helped slay Efeye. Perhaps there is some causality there?

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Galena 6th

I have discovered that there is an untapped gold vein in the fortress. A flash of ingenuity came to me, and I have decided to mine it out. Not only will the gold make good material for crafts, statues for our shrines and the like, I plan to expand the delving and make the expanded, mined out vein our dining hall.

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Galena 14th

A human caravan has arrived. I plan on buying any alcohol they have, along with an anvil so another magma forge can be constructed. Futility will be handling the negotiations, trading some of the robes he made.

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Galena 20th

They only brought two barrels of alcohol. Who brings only two barrels of alcohol to trade at a dwarven fortress?! Fortunately we have plenty. They did have an anvil, so I have ordered the construction of another magma forge, as I wanted to.

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Galena 23rd

A goblin snatcher attempted to infiltrate our fortress. Fortunately, the defenses katana II constructed were more than sufficient and the goblin was caught in a cage as soon as he reached the entrance to our upper works.

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2011, 09:45:41 pm »

Could I have a turn?
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

futility

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2011, 10:42:08 pm »

added

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2011, 10:23:19 am »

Sorry for the lack of updates. I'm going to try to get my turn finished by tomorrow night, but if I can't I'll post the save and let somebody else take they're turn, since I won't be in town for a few days after then.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2011, 10:25:58 am »

Futility, may wanna update the turn list to see who's going/gone.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2011, 12:40:35 pm »

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Sandstone 5th

Not much to report. We have finished mining out the gold vein, an work on the other projects continues.

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Sandstone 9th

Another wave of migrants. Our population is now 72.

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Timber 13th

Merchants have arrived. Hopefully they'll have lots of good stuff to trade.

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Timber 13th

An ambush! Curse them!

A goblin ambush has arrived! I have ordered the Walled Scholars to guard the stairway to the surface, but hopefully with our traps they will not need to engage the enemy. Also, the merchants are safely inside. I might decide to seal the bridge on the surface, but I realize I have no idea how to do that. Where is the lever?

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Timber 24th

Several of the invaders have been caught by our traps. Furthermore, they seem to have had some trouble with the local fauna. However, one of our civilians was slain when going out to reload the traps. Two of the goblins were loitering in front of the entrance and set upon him when he came in sight. They were subsequently slain by our militia.

We bought several of the more valuable gems the merchants brought, as well as some lay pewter (as well as the ingredients to make more) and cave swallow leather to complete the mandate set by our mayor, as well as likely future ones.

Dairy, Zech Overseer of Twinklepulley, Moonstone 1st

Well, right before we finished completing her production order, the mayor cancelled it. Worse, she charged Futility with violating it! Stupid bloody noble! I have half a mind to send her after those goblins alone!

katana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2011, 05:21:35 pm »

YES! FUTILITY MUST SUFFER!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6