Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Medicine on Animals: One Very Good Reason Why  (Read 2994 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Medicine on Animals: One Very Good Reason Why
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 09:43:40 am »

Davinci dissected dead humans and that is how doctors learned a lot about the body (and ofcourse we still do this today) could that also be an option for dwarves? Hmm, I'm not sure--might be far to modern.
Not too modern, given the long history, but I think just currently incompatible with the DF system of personal (i.e. civilisation) morals, which no-one breaks until and unless they go mad (partially, for fell moods, or actually and irrecoverably so, for when any mood fails, etc).

You can't even butcher pets that died of starvation (for at least two reasons[1], although one of these might be an unresolved bug/inconsistency), although the obvious first possible way of taboo-avoiding by having a "permissible dissection of a sentient" situation, would be to allow the investigation of the remains of executed criminals.

(Regarding veterinary skills translating to human health, I could also quote the idea, used by Pratchett, that when you really want someone to live you call for the horse doctor, because the people who usually pay good (and/or laundered) money for his services expect positive results, or else...)

[1] Not including the "Why butcher a creature that is only skin and bones?" one, which is averted because both skin and bones are actually useful, and still stands up better than butchering a perfectly healthy cavy and still ending up with just a skull. :)
Pages: 1 [2]