Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Meat animal corpse renamed "carcass"  (Read 1368 times)

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Meat animal corpse renamed "carcass"
« on: June 10, 2011, 05:21:20 pm »

I move that the "food" sub-menu, when customizing stockpiles, have the category "carcass" added to prevent confusion with "corpse" meaning dead person's body, and all dead whole meat items (duck, I guess) be renamed "carcass" rather than "corpse." (Basically, if it was sentient, it's a corpse; if it was non-sentient, it's a carcass.)

Quote from: M-W.com
Definition of CARCASS:
1 : a dead body : corpse; especially : the dressed body of a meat animal [my emphasis]

I had a corpse stockpile in the kitchen, thinking ducks and things would be stored there for cooking. When a moody dwarf went crazy and had to be taken down (with no idea yet how to bury her), my kitchen was suddenly quite a revolting place to be. This suggestion wouldn't be completely foolproof, but it would be a start.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 05:46:54 pm by JasonMel »

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Meat animal corpse renamed "carcass"
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 09:22:29 pm »

This is a good idea, though is it worth the time of fixing it? I'm not sure, though I would think it would be a simple fix.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 03:08:58 am »

Elves overrule.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 06:08:54 am »

It would be a nifty way of displaying whether the corpse can be butchered, yes. The game would need to determine what to call the remains on its own however. Tags don't really work as some species think sentients are perfectly acceptable cuisine.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 06:12:52 am by Pilsu »

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 07:44:45 am »

[CAN_LEARN] means corpse, otherwise carcass would probably work?
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 10:45:48 am »

I'm in support of this.
Hauling mutilated corpses to the butcher workshop to make some tasty =Roasts= seems a bit... wrong
*Hugs*

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 07:55:06 am »

Seems like a bloody good idea to me. Albeit a very minor problem, it's a nice polish that could really add to the game.
But what about pets?
I'm pretty sure a Dwarf who just lost her pet kitten would be pretty unwilling to call it a carcass so much as a corpse. I think.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 06:14:44 pm »

This is a good idea, though is it worth the time of fixing it? I'm not sure, though I would think it would be a simple fix.
I agree with the second part, but fail to see why this change is needed. Perhaps if the corpse submenu of refuse was divided into sentient/nonsentient/vermin?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

byrnsey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 02:55:50 pm »

Not sure if this is the proper place for this, but I'm not sure if it's good enough to stand on its own.

I hereby vote that, somehow or other, [CAN_LEARN]s be butcherable.  Not into food but at the very least, totems.  I had a hunter near the edge of the map get surprised by a cyclops.  Couple of lucky shots later, I had a corpse that took so long to rot a goblin siege got me (Didn't count on their crossbowmen being better than mine at shooting through the fortifications) before it became more than a partial skeleton.

ANYway... That was the first even quasi-Megabeast (Kilo-beast)  I've been able to bring down, and I totally want a trophy!  Also, I obviously also want totems to be buildable.  I want my caravans to show up the next year and hoof it down a gallery of kobold/goblin/epic skulls.

And I'm sure this is more coding than it's worth, but as long as I'm making a wishlist...

If we're seriously going to have animal bones have sizes (instamax clutter with Camel bones?)  I would LOVE to have the larger bones be made into something awesome.  Imagine your liason coming in for a meeting, and having to pass through a door made of the gaping maw of a Dragon or a zombie Whale, only to find the leader perched on a throne Made of a cyclops body, across a table made of a single piece of Wood Colossus.  Needless to say, these things would have appropriate values.

In case Toady is having trouble justifying the work to himself, imagine a long hard slog bringing down a Hydra and having something like

this to remember it by.

byrnsey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 04:09:06 pm »

Continuing the idea, Grates made of Titan bones (ribcages), Bone blocks from anything larger than an elephant (square off those femurs)... etc.  Obviously, constructable bones ought to be a large pain/very deadly to obtain.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 07:00:33 am »

It would be a nifty way of displaying whether the corpse can be butchered, yes. The game would need to determine what to call the remains on its own however. Tags don't really work as some species think sentients are perfectly acceptable cuisine.

Seems to me you'd just give elves a [BUTCHER_CORPSE] tag or something, to show they'll eat sentient dead-folk.

My support to this idea.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 07:09:49 am »

i agre that separating corpses under stocks menu into butcherable and unbutcherable ones is a brilliant idea. I do not care for how it is called, carcass or corpse or anything. Different cultures (when we will be able to play as different cultures) will have to have them separated differently, depending on tags.

Also, i don't think elves really butcher corpses to eat. I mean, from what i read in legends it sounds for me more like they just eat corpses as-is, without any butchery or other preparation-

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 03:22:16 pm »

Also, i don't think elves really butcher corpses to eat. I mean, from what i read in legends it sounds for me more like they just eat corpses as-is, without any butchery or other preparation-

I think dwarves too should be able to cook and eat certain small cor--er, carcasses without first butchering them, like ducks, for example. [Edit: This would make them similar to the way fish are handled.] Conversely, if an animal can't be eaten or used in any way, and isn't harmful, it shouldn't be huntable. If the fortress had a configurable list of huntable species, it would be different, but a hunter hunting and bringing back an inedible, unusable carcass is a hunter who isn't supporting his or her fort.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:29:27 pm by JasonMel »

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 05:02:13 pm »

Butcherable? Carcass.

Unbutcherable? Corpse.

Include a stockpile permissions distinction and there we go.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.