Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wide Dual-Screen Gaming?  (Read 1383 times)

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
Wide Dual-Screen Gaming?
« on: June 10, 2011, 04:14:04 pm »

So, I have two 1920x1080 monitors.
I line them up horizontally for 3840x1080 super-widescreen.
The only problem is, not very many games actually -work- in this state.
Most FPSes, for example, line their crosshairs up right underneath the bezel between the monitors.
Examples -- Because I artificially widen the render so as to prevent it from doing silly things across the bezel (read: bezel correction), I can Photoshop in the equivalent so you can see what I mean.
Left 4 Dead 2 (by extension, all Source games):
Crosshair centered on the bezel.  No good.
Oblivion:
Unplayable as the crosshairs and 3rd person character both get caught up in the fold, just like an FPS.
I hear there's an over-the-shoulder third person view mod.  Does anybody have experience with that?
Would it let me offset the viewpoint so I'm not immediately underneath the bezel?
The free-view camera mode ('tfc' in console) is nifty for screenshots, as shown here.
Spoiler: Likewise (click to show/hide)
Oh, and there's a major problem with the menu doing this too :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
EVE Online:
Perfect support.  Allows offset camera/HUD for actually working gameplay.
However, I blatantly refuse to pay these subscription fees.  Free trial copy from Steam used for examples.
Spoiler: Hurrdurr (click to show/hide)
Trackmania (Nations/United) Forever:
I don't have a screenshot of this one, but your car is, naturally, centered right on top of the bezel.
Incredibly awkward to play.  The GUI is stretched, which is pretty ugly, too.

All of the mainstream widescreen gaming communities I've seen focus on three monitors, and make no mention whatsoever of offset camera/etc for the sake of two.
So, Bay12 community, you would know better than I.  Are there any games that actually support dual-monitor play?

I guess I could turn this into something of an informational post (perhaps adding more games to the screencapped list, perhaps a little guide to actually getting this setup to work -- it's not as easy as three when you're on an NVIDIA GPU.  I think AMD's Eyefinity supports it natively, unlike NVIDIA's Surround [???], but if not, the method I used is universal) once enough information is available.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 05:46:31 pm by Jay »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wide Dual-Screen Gaming?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 04:29:25 pm »

EDIT: durr
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:31:38 pm by OzyTheSage »

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
Re: Wide Dual-Screen Gaming?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 09:11:47 pm »

OpenTTD might work(at least in windowed mode), BYOND games that frequently use multiple windows would benefit from an extra screenful of space for them, not that either game is really all that exciting...
Eh?
Eh!