Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kobolds overrunning Dwarves  (Read 606 times)

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kobolds overrunning Dwarves
« on: June 10, 2011, 12:25:19 pm »

The mod I recently created has an interesting effect. Pretty much all the Mountain Halls in the world have been overrun by kobolds. Not exactly completely unexpected, since I made the kobolds not need to eat or drink, reach maturity at age 4, hatch in clutches of 3-8 and they're civ prefers detailed caves. Furthermore, dwarves don't reach maturity until age 16. My adventurer has been ambushed by kobolds many times. Surprisingly, even though I modded goblins to reach maturity at age 6, and to have litters of 3-8, they don't seem to be as widespread. In fact, in one world my modded orc race seems to be about as widespread as they are.

I'm wondering if kobolds would, in fact, be able to survive if I removed they're ability to survive without food, but retained the other advantages. I also know that dwarves have trouble getting enough food to survive in vanilla. The fact that I gave such advantages to kobolds may have merely exacerbated that problem. So, I'm wondering if there are any workarounds to make dwarves more likely to not starve (obviously not no eat, since that would effect fortress mode right?), so they will be less prone to having they're mountain halls overrun? I haven't checked legends to see if the kobolds are actually managing to defeat the dwarves in combat, but that's not likely to be the problem, since kobolds are so weak.

Also, the dwarves I get as migrants, at least in the first world I generated with the mod, do not have any names. I'm not sure why, exactly.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: Kobolds overrunning Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 01:08:58 pm »

Vanilla seems so minimalistic once you've tried Genesis mod. Come join us. It's very easy to edit out the hostile civs that you don't like.

Should be easy to test the kobbos in worldgen, remove the no-eat and give both  [INDOOR_FARMING] and [OUTDOOR_FARMING] to them.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobolds overrunning Dwarves
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 01:09:29 pm »

If you are worried about impacting fortress mode then you could give dwarves [NO_EAT] for world gen and history and then remove it again before embarking a fort.  Its a change that can be made on the fly at anytime, you could even dive into a save's raws to save a starving fort through save and reload.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.