Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extra Rations / Free drinks.  (Read 1855 times)

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Extra Rations / Free drinks.
« on: June 10, 2011, 10:37:03 am »

Would be pretty nice to be able to give out extra food or booze , like during a siege to keep happiness up (or to just fatten up those dorfs.).
Should be manageable through the current Mayor (expedition leader) and adjustable such as :

Standard Rations No bonus
Standard Booze   No bonus

Double Rations (2x Food) Slight Bonus to Happyness
Standard Booze (2xBooze)

Tripple Rations (3x Food ) Small bonus to Happyness
Free Drinks (3x Booze )

And By demand

Half Rations : 1/2 Food consumed (Will go hungry and starve at 50% of the time it would do normally). Ie 1 Month = 1month + 2 Weeks
Watered booze : 1/2 Booze consumed

Breadcrumbs : 1/4 Food consumed (Will go hungry and starve at 75% of the time it would do normally).Ie 1 Month = 1Month and 1 Week
Water drinks : Needs Water source
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 04:42:39 pm by malvado »

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Re: Extra Rations / Free drinks.
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 11:09:03 am »

Usually, during a seige, extra rations is something you dont doo.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 11:21:42 am »

Dwarves already eat and drink their fill whenever they want.
This seems a tad pointless.
*Hugs*

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 12:16:13 pm »

I actually like this idea, but I think the most useful part of it would be the opposite of the OP. Rationing in emergencies when food or drink is running out. Set dwarves only to eat or drink 0.5x. They wouldn't like it, but at least they wouldn't run out as quickly.
It would also be useful to burn though food and drink more quickly when you have lots of it.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 01:21:50 pm »

I actually like this idea, but I think the most useful part of it would be the opposite of the OP. Rationing in emergencies when food or drink is running out. Set dwarves only to eat or drink 0.5x. They wouldn't like it, but at least they wouldn't run out as quickly.
It would also be useful to burn though food and drink more quickly when you have lots of it.

I support this, but not the OP's idea

Dwarves who are less disciplined might oversnack and receive a minor punishment. The player would decide whether it is a few days in jail (changeable by player) or a certain number of beatings.

Rationing must effect all non-noble dwarves and cannot be set to zero.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

thunktone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 03:30:18 pm »

This sounds like a useful idea.

fatten up those dorfs

And this sounds Fun, but rather than giving extra rations I'd like to be able to set up a feast. It could be a job declared at the dining room costing one food and twelve drink per dwarf, then they all get time off to attend. This is assuming of course that having friends will eventually be a good thing :P.
Whenever dwarves get into melee, their first reaction is to place their baby on their head, to allow free use of both hands, and thus any headshot instead strikes the child.

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 04:34:57 pm »

Well, the whole idea is basically aimed towards food management issues (you've either got too much of everything or you have to little of everything) and even more problems in certain situations, having a few more ways to manage this is something I personally like.

Of course, you could just put all the food at D then atom Smash it, but honestly I personally prefer the products that's been made by dwarves (Goblin crafts are not elegible) to be used by dwarves including the food.

Updating first post.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 11:45:26 pm »

Yeah, one of the points of a siege is to prevent any food from traders etc. getting to the place being sieged, so you gotta ration to make your current stocks last.

But still, it'd be cool to be able to set rations if you're that worse off and you need to do so.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 10:43:31 pm »

I think someone suggested that it be done by the mayor

I like it

Gives me another reason to kill him.  PULL THE LEVER!
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 11:06:02 pm »

As if we need more reasons to *ahem* retire Nobles. :P
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 11:38:38 am »

wait...
you need a reason to do that
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 09:31:25 pm »

I dunno. Dwarves seem to be almost like stereotypical Romans. They have insane leaders, create incredible works of art, fine tools and architecture, they are organized, militaristic, intelligent and utterly decadent and depraved.

I think Dwarves automatically eat and drink as much as they want. I think they just work hard, build up an appetite and then eat a huge portion of food.

Not sure how rationing would work in DF, since they get hungry after a fixed period of time. Maybe with minimal rations, they wait until they are 'Starving' until they eat and then quit when they just reach 'hungry' again. Its how rationing/ communism/ food shortages was historically, everyone was constantly hungry and everyone could only think or talk about food. Dwarves could be the same way with alcohol.

With increased rations, I dunno. They eat before they become hungry and get fat. Maybe with increased rations, parties would consume extra food.

astaldaran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 10:19:57 pm »

I support this, but not the OP's idea

Dwarves who are less disciplined might oversnack and receive a minor punishment. The player would decide whether it is a few days in jail (changeable by player) or a certain number of beatings.

Rationing must effect all non-noble dwarves and cannot be set to zero.

This would be cool if the dwarf weighed the cost of the punishment in deciding to break the ration--and there only being a probability that he is discovered. The probability can be set and then modified by characteristics (good liar, etc). Thus a simple equation could be run to determine whether he attempts to steal the food or not.  It could be much like Gary Becker's model of expected utility from crime.

E(U) = p(u(Y-f))+(1-p)(u(Y))

U= utility function of the result (whether Y-f or Y)

E(U) = the expected utility of the crime

P= the probability of being caught and convicted (this would be modified by the characteristics of the dwarf..maybe even by your internal security?)

Y:  The utility gained as a benefit of the crime (The enjoyment of eating the food)

f: the cost to the offender (various by punishment selected by player) of being caught and punished

In fact this module could be applied to all crimes (well maybe not the ones where the dwarf just goes insane) ---it is  ofcourse an economic model but it has a lot of validity to it.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 10:34:19 pm »

Why stealing? If rationing was implemented, each dwarf would just receive food from a dispensing agent, on behalf of the ruling central government. A stockpile manager of some-sort. Otherwise, it would not be rationing, if dwarves were just asked to not wonder in and eat so much food from the stockpile (on pain of death). It would just be a way to distribute mass punishment, which isn't really the goal of rationing, historically.

Your equation might work for other implications, though, if a dwarf just plain feels like taking something that isn't theirs, not so much with trying to skirt around rationing of a centrally-controlled commodity. Well, since everything on the map asides the clothes migrants walk in with, in DF seems to be communally owned, I suppose this might have to wait.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:43:21 pm by Montague »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 01:46:58 pm »

Extra rations and more drinks should be a useable celebration (along with many others I've come up with, but not (yet) posted) to signify a success against a siege. They will eat and drink the extra rations, even if they're not hungry.