Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: White Rabbit  (Read 5210 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
White Rabbit
« on: June 10, 2011, 09:35:28 am »

"You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream."

-Edgar Allen Poe

Got this idea while I was going for a run, and I've decided to run with it. This is a multiplayer, non-turn based (except in certain situations, you won't be waiting for other players, just for me; talking among yourselves [meta or no] is a free action) roleplay. Exactly what's happening or how it's happening or how it's happening in a meta sense are all mysteries right now (but all of those are possible to find out during gameplay). I will say that it's using a system within a system next to another system with a system determining the setting which is part of a marco setting. Another system is in there too.

Actions will be open ended, and I'll take as many characters as people who want to play right now. However, I'm going to ask that we characters stay semi-realistic for now. If you've got a good reason to play an extraordinary chap and can give me a pretty good reason for it (like you're trying to flesh out a RP character or somesuch) I'll consider it. No hard and fast rules for equipment, skills, or weaknesses, but it'd help a fair bit the more backstory the character gets. If you don't put much of a backstory, I may have to be inventing one for your character. A major drive or goal might also be helpful for the character, finding a lost one, dealing with guilt, or the ever-popular amnesia are all valid options. Simple escape would work as well.

Don't expect combat to be super-heavy duty help here. Think of this game as more Silent Hill than Resident Evil 4-5. At least in the beginning, realism is the name of the game, expect some serious penalties (in the auto-fail category) for trying to ascend to godhood without some serious preparation. In addition to actions by your character, you, as a player, may also make META-ACTIONS, as you figure out how the setting(s) work, you may be able to call attention to some quirk of the system to get stuff to happen.

The game will begin in the lobby of a lonely hotel, if you'd like to give your character a reason to be there, you may; else, I'll come up with one myself.

Game starts now (although it might be a minute or a few hours until I can get around to it, to give some time for people to ask questions and get characters in)
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: White Rabbit
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 09:38:27 am »

This post will contain as much meta-data as is discovered, be it simple maps, observations about how the world works, or knowledge about how the world works. At a semi-significant delay, which may or may not be there to ensure that characters can not receive meta information from each other at faster than the speed of light, which would mess all sorts of stuff up in the game.

For now, all we've got here is that direct character actions should be bolded, ((While Meta comments should be double parenthesized and META-ACTIONS SHOULD BE ITALICIZED AND DOUBLE PARENTAZIED [if you expect the world to change in response to your Metaness, it's probably an action, not a comment{And yes, the nesting is intentional}]))

« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 06:13:17 pm by Strife26 »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 09:41:57 am »

Let's give it a shot. I'm going to make the most boring character ever, and something with "deep waters" ;)

Name: Dirk van den Bosch.
Skills: Fly-fishing, likes to repair stuff at home.
Demeanor: A tiny bit nervous.
Inventory: Suit, suitcase with more suits, telephone, company laptop.

Reason: Dirk was sent to this town to settle some administration issue with a branch of his company. He's just checking in.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 09:46:57 am »

Is there a character application we need to fill or can we just get started right away?

Typical, two new posts. I'll see what I can cook up.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 10:20:03 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 10:14:13 am »

Here we go...

Name: Cassius Brownlow.
Skills: Hunting, fishing, overall survival in the wilds.
Demeanor: Calm, silent, thoughtful and patient. Feels awkward with people he doesn't know.
Inventory: Tidy outfit, backpack with some additional clothing and few books, key's of the rented car.

Backstory: Cassius studied to become a history teacher, and graduated with some average grades. After few years of unsuccessful search for job, he gave up and built his own little cottage to the wilds and settled there, getting his own food by hunting. He only went back to civilization to get necessary supplies, until he got word that his mother had a cancer.(His father is already dead.) Cassius rented a car and started driving the long way towards home.

Reason to be in motel: Cassius stopped to stay there overnight on his way to meet his mother.

Note: It is my first RPG (except for CRPG's). Also English is not my native language, so I apologize all the (hopefully) small typos that my post contains. (This post and all that will come...)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 12:09:32 pm »

Name: Stjepan Milic
Demeanor: Short-tempered, stubborn, loud.
Inventory: Old, somewhat worn-out clothes, keys, phone, small package, pack of cigarettes and lighter

Reason:
Since he lost his old job six months ago, Stjepan has been working for his new father-in-law on different (and not always legal) jobs. He pays well, so Stjepan doesn't care or ask too many questions. He was supposed to meet up with his father-in-law at the hotel lobby and give him a package he'd been told to pick up, but the old man is nowhere to be seen.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 04:39:53 pm »

Welcome to the hotel, new guests. Of course, there's always availability here . . .

For a hotel that's all by itself on a highway, the lobby is comfortably, if somewhat dimly, furnished. Comfortable chairs and couches line the walls, with a gorgeous woman in an evening gown sipping pink champagne sitting in one. An elderly man, dressed in white dress shirt and black tie waits behind the reception desk. There is a staircase on each side of the room, leading to an open second floor balcony. To the left and right, there sets heavy, wooden doors. Straight in front is a glass door through which a corridor is visible. To the right of the glass door are two additional wooden doors which have signs on them, but you are unable to make out what they say. A single glass door is visible on the balcony level. There is a counter on the first floor, set with several carafes, probably coffee, as well as some tea bags, hot chocolate mix, and various other hot beverage supplies. 3 interesting people just walked inside through double doors within a few moments of each other.

Digital Hellhound:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anzki4:

Siquo:
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 11:39:08 pm by Strife26 »

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 05:10:06 pm »

Walk to the counter, and ask for a room and a nice cup of hot tea. Pay with the credit card.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 05:44:56 pm »

"Why, certainly sir. Welcome to the hotel."

The elderly night-man takes the credit card, runs it through the computer and returns it to you with a room keycard.

"There's a decent assortment of teas on the refreshment table over there, feel free to take whichever one you'd like, Mr. Brownlow. Hot water is in the jug with the red top. Enjoy your stay and Relax."

You look over at the refreshment table, and there is quite a large assortment of tea bags, from Earl Grey to Chamomile. No one would probably care if you took a few with to your room, right?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 11:17:24 pm by Strife26 »

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 06:32:10 pm »

((Nitpick: "No would probably care"="No one would probably care"?))

Thank the man, grab a cup of Earl Grey. Check the number on the keycard, and find the corresponding room.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 07:04:59 pm »

Wait for your turn, then step up to the counter and coolly announce my reservation.

"Hello, ehh, I mean good evening, sir, I think I have a... I should have an... uhh reservation. For ehm.. a mr Van den Bosch?"

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 11:38:40 pm »

Anzki4:

Siquo:

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 11:45:43 pm »

Name: Nicholas Right
Demeanor: He is a joker, and a bit of a smartass. Other than that he is intelligent but is irritable.
Inventory: Metallica T-Shirt, Backpack, Map, Compass, Food Cans, Pocket Knife.
Reason: Nicholas has been traveling west for quite some time, he stopped by the Motel to rest for a bit before going westwards again.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 12:11:10 am »

Bdthemag:

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2011, 12:22:48 am »

Nicholas looks around, noticing the people in the lobby and moves to the front desk. He asked the man at the front desk "Whats the cost to get a room here?"

If the price is low, then buy a room.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9