Poll

Should Toady Take a Holiday?

Yes
- 85 (72.6%)
No
- 32 (27.4%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Should Toady take a Holiday?  (Read 8679 times)

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: Should Toady take a Holiday?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 01:57:25 pm »

I'm taking it to mean "Does Toady deserve a holiday, not "U taek holiday nao!! *Whipcrack*"
^This

Although I want the new version out. This is a strange topic, as Toady's holiday-take is not a community decision, nor is it some issue where he desperately needs a holiday or is all holiday all the time.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 01:59:29 pm »

Huh? He always takes several days break at the end of each month and even has an end-of-month project that is under-wraps for now.

There is quite some time Toady doesn't take the end-of-month break anymore. I think he didn't mention the end-of-month project for years.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 08:18:59 pm »

There should be an option that says "He's an adult and can make his own decisions, also: I am being nosy".
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 10:10:48 pm »

Maybe it's just because I spent a while there following Notch's blog,

Yeah, Notch sort of takes holidays whenever he wants and decently often, because you know: "Screw you guys I'm a millionaire, I'm going to make a card game thing, haha!"

Oh Fuck Notch. Why I don't play Minecraft anymore isn't the gameplay, its Notch and his horrible attitude.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

Arihim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 10:43:51 pm »

Back on topic...

Toady can take a break when ever the hell he wants.
He owes us diddly squat imo.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 11:39:19 pm »

There should be an option that says "He's an adult and can make his own decisions, also: I am being nosy".

That would be the obvious and sane solution.

Instead, let's divide into camps. One demands Toady take a vacation while the other wants him to work like he was their slave. Hilarious hijinks ensue.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 12:23:03 am »

That would be the obvious and sane solution.

Instead, let's divide into camps. One demands Toady take a vacation while the other wants him to work like he was their slave. Hilarious hijinks ensue.
Well hilarious hijinks are always great. I guess we'll do that, then.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 12:29:05 am »

We'll settle this through Maxed-out adamantine-armored BC's in the Arena ;D
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 06:02:58 am »

It looks like he's taking a sort-of-holiday today for his Dad's birthday.

I wonder if his parents play Dwarf Fortress...
[Signature]

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2011, 06:49:31 am »

Yeah, Notch sort of takes holidays whenever he wants and decently often, because you know: "Screw you guys I'm a millionaire, I'm going to make a card game thing, haha!"

Oh Fuck Notch. Why I don't play Minecraft anymore isn't the gameplay, its Notch and his horrible attitude.

You know, no offence but thats a pretty stupid reason to not play a game.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 07:52:49 am »

Ahem. If Toady does decide to take a break, I simply MUST reccomend Bali...
Beautiful sun, beautiful people, beautiful asbestos rooves & aluminium cooking pots, beautiful cheap prices...
Totally the BEST place for a holiday, EVAR!
...Oh yeah. Psst. You can even rent my house over there! :P *shifty look*
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2011, 06:46:13 pm »

(Removed a large derail.  Sexist crap yet again, foul enough that Sir Leonard III and Desdichado are both gone.)
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 09:48:47 pm »

You know, no offence but thats a pretty stupid reason to not play a game.

No it isn't. Minecraft is clearly unfinished, and is full of potential about where it can go. But the way the game designer choose to approach it comes off as completely unfocused and inattentive- Tarn has all these wonderful goals and plans to make DF something really special. Notch would rather go and develop yet another game of cards, leaving unfinished, and with wasted potential. That is why I don't invest my time in a game that seems like it isn't going anywhere anymore.

Anyways, while I selfishly want Tarn to work nine days a week and post six development updates a day, a nice vacation is no doubt deserved.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2011, 10:13:50 pm »

I find it incredibly ironic that Toady has had to spend his time fixing a thread about giving him a vacation.

Now, on to the topic at hand. The man has done more for free than most game developers have done for pay. He deserves a mega vacation, menacing with spikes of relaxing. Should he though? It, like everything else about Dwarf Fortress' development, is up to him.
Dude, you've created a Yeti with nothing to lose.

You've created Yeti Batman.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2011, 10:22:47 pm »

Yeah, he should take a vacation. But I'm thinking from my puny, non-godlike perspective, so I don't know if that applies to The Great Toad in the Sky.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.
Pages: 1 [2] 3