Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Selective Breeding  (Read 6705 times)

robdesjardin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Selective Breeding
« on: June 10, 2011, 12:54:05 am »

Does having only giant muscular animals as parents produce only giant muscular calfs? I've noticed this with my Alpaca farm and I just wondered if I accidentally made a selective breeding eugenics farm, or if it was all just chance.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Selective Breeding
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 01:04:04 am »

Yep, those traits are heritable. Feel free to butcher all your inferior alpacas to get a race of superior ones.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 01:04:53 am »

I do believe animals will inherit traits like muscle and fat and such from their parents, if not then you're lucky. The only real advantage to this is it will take them longer to burn to death in magma and they give more products when butchered.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 01:43:30 am »

Feel free to butcher all your inferior alpacas to get a race of superior ones.

Only in Dwarf Fortress...
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 01:52:00 am »

Aye they are inheritted. There was a post awhile ago from someone who did extensive !!Science!! on this subject. It was a eugenics progect to get big muscled / boned white.....

cows only. It worked too. So just execute all your inferior creatures and go from there.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 05:18:54 am »

Actualy, it's a pety good summar of how selective breading IRL works.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 05:23:21 am »

Feel free to butcher all your inferior alpacas to get a race of superior ones.

Umm, Actually it's been around since the dawn of the farming human, only superior specimens are allowed to breed
*Hugs*

robdesjardin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 08:59:22 am »

What is bigger Gigantic or enormous? AH you are very weak im so sorry, but YOUMUST !!DIE!!.
No baby Alpacas were burned in magma durring the making of this post, they were slaughtered at adult hood

BronzeElemental

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 10:01:10 am »

Does that work for dwarves also?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 10:04:13 am »

Does that work for dwarves also?

It does but the breeding cycle would be far longer than your average fort.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 11:10:23 am »

Hmm... well... if I could make a self-sustaining fort and turn all the notifications off, perhaps I could just run a 2x2 embark for a few hundred years by just leaving the computer on, and just stop in now and then to kill off all the tallest dwarves XD
where is up?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 11:19:39 am »

Hmm... well... if I could make a self-sustaining fort and turn all the notifications off, perhaps I could just run a 2x2 embark for a few hundred years by just leaving the computer on, and just stop in now and then to kill off all the tallest dwarves XD
You could lower the maximum age, time spent in childhood, and perhaps increase litter size. You might want to seal the fort to avoid migrants brining new and unwanted traits. You could even manually filter new migrants to only let certain traits through.

In one of the DF Talk episodes Toady mentions that the dwarves should get suspicious if all dwarves with certain traits get killed in accidents. Perhaps in the future they might respond to this kind of thing more directly.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 11:25:13 am »

fastist way to make any changes is to pick two males as studs and kill the rest.

females are need for breeding, so a poor breeder can be of use.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 04:11:40 pm »

fastist way to make any changes is to pick two males as studs and kill the rest.

females are need for breeding, so a poor breeder can be of use.
Doesn'twork for dwarves though, because dwarves pair off.

Unless you want to engage in excess killing, it should be sufficient to just kill married dwarves with undesirable traits. Unmarried dwarves don't reproduce anyway, so you can use their labor.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 04:22:03 pm »

I fear that someday somebody's going to make a fortress that continues for decades on end with the sole purpose of engineering a Dwarven Master Race.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: [1] 2