Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Amphibian Men With [TRAPAVOID]  (Read 935 times)

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
Amphibian Men With [TRAPAVOID]
« on: June 09, 2011, 07:31:46 pm »

Recently, in my fortress settled in a terrifying area, I breached a cavern and found amphibian men. Since at the time, I was rather obsessed with caging various creatures, I set up a hallway full of cage traps to cage the amphibian men, then let loose the bait. What I didn't know was that the Amphibian Men could avoid traps, and ran straight through the traps, and chased the bait into an unfilled water source, where the militia was able to take action and kill the creatures. Later, I checked the wiki, and It said nothing about Amphibian men avoiding traps. Has anyone else had an experience like this, or noted another creature that has undocumented [TRAPAVOID]?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Amphibian Men With [TRAPAVOID]
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 07:48:40 pm »

Creatures which exist on the map before you arrive are considered current residents, and don't apply to traps.  This includes semi and megabeasts when you embark on their lair.  You can still capture the creative ways, like knocking them unconscious or GCS web, not not normally.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 07:55:34 pm »

Creatures which exist on the map before you arrive are considered current residents, and don't apply to traps.  This includes semi and megabeasts when you embark on their lair.  You can still capture the creative ways, like knocking them unconscious or GCS web, not not normally.
I was not aware of this, I will keep it in mind for future fortresses.
Also, does this only apply to intelligent creatures/ creatures with entities related to them, or does it apply to all creatures on the map?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 08:05:52 pm »

Common wild critters arrive on the map at the same time as your starting 7, and after that they all, obviously, arrive from map's edge.  Apparently, common animals can settle (this is an exceptional engraving of a wolf settling in the hills of steepness) but I've not actually heard about anyone finding a common animal lair.  Only the impressive creatures will reliably make lairs.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 08:18:16 pm »

Common wild critters arrive on the map at the same time as your starting 7, and after that they all, obviously, arrive from map's edge.  Apparently, common animals can settle (this is an exceptional engraving of a wolf settling in the hills of steepness) but I've not actually heard about anyone finding a common animal lair.  Only the impressive creatures will reliably make lairs.
Do traps remain intact when a Fortress Is reclaimed?
Because if they do, One could line the edges of the map with cage traps, abandon, then reclaim, and have the creatures that started in the map all caged.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 09:12:23 pm »

I fail to see how that makes sense...  Why does reclaiming cause everything to be captured?

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 09:29:26 pm »

Nevermind, I interpreted an earlier post as all of the creatures that arrive when your dwarves do spawn at the edge of the map, but I double-checked and found that I was wrong.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 09:31:56 pm »

There are two types of creatures that exist on a map when you embark.  Those rare ones in lairs, and animal people.  They follow special "current resident" rules, but all others can be trapped as normal (assuming they're not [TRAP_AVOID] of course).

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 12:38:30 am »

I had a nearly identical experience actually. Trying to capture an amphibian man tribe went completely haywire and nearly got a woodcutter killed. Luckily she was instead captured in the cage traps when she passed out on them and thus saved. Think she died there because of my fortress being horribly destroyed while she was still trapped. Last dwarf alive.

Also, if you REALLY want to trap animalmen in the future, you can use runesmith to remove the 'is resident' tag, then run them through the traps.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.