Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: We Finally Reached the Future  (Read 3199 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: We Finally Reached the Future
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 05:31:28 pm »

Who'd argue with the cops if they pulled you over in one of these things?

I dunno, if I'm in a car, I bet I could take it.  Bicycle cops don't pull people over for a reason.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 05:32:33 pm »

Man, the guys at Moller are going to be pissed if this guy pulls it off first...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 06:31:43 pm »

I think thanks to 9/11, you'll require a pilot's license for most of these flying craft (initially required or not) and some security clearance and a waiting time like getting a firearm, before taking off just to make sure you won't be flying into any buildings as soon as you invest in one.

Just my thought on these things. I mean, all I can think of with these are potential terror weapons in the wrong hands. Politicians and Fox News will have a field day with that. :P

Although I won't hide it, these things are still pretty cool.

EDIT:
Moller's Skycar also reminds me of XCOM Apocalypse.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:37:35 pm by Itnetlolor »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 06:39:30 pm »

Just my thought on these things. I mean, all I can think of with these are potential terror weapons in the wrong hands. Politicians and Fox News will have a field day with that. :P

I don't think this thing would be capable of causing much more damage than a normal motorcycle.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 07:11:36 pm »

I don't think this thing would be capable of causing much more damage than a normal motorcycle.

I disagree. I think that at first, the thing's likelihood damaging its rider will be much higher than a regular motorcycle, as motorcycles have been around for a lot longer, and this prototype, as "safe" as it is, was a hobby by some guy in Australia.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 07:16:11 pm »

Not to mention, y'know, crashing on the ground is one thing, while crashing into the ground is another matter.

I think thanks to 9/11, you'll require a pilot's license for most of these flying craft (initially required or not) and some security clearance and a waiting time like getting a firearm, before taking off just to make sure you won't be flying into any buildings as soon as you invest in one.

Actually, if you can pare an aircraft down to a low enough weight, it will classify as an Ultralight and not need a pilot's license.  That's how the MythBusters got clearance to test that wacky fan-pack thing they built, and it's a surprisingly generous weight.

Moller's Skycar also reminds me of XCOM Apocalypse.

The sleek red rocket styling just screams "the future, circa 1958", doesn't it?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 07:26:29 pm »

Stability depends on how the rotors are configured. If they're articulated like helicopter rotors, an onboard computer could make automatic adjustments to blade pitch. General Dynamics needs to get this guy's phone number. I can definately see these things used by all sorts of uniformed services.
Article states that the device can't auto-rotate (like a helicopter) due to not having variable pitch.

It does, however, have veins to give some form of vectored thrust (my paraphrasing, but that's essentially what it'll be), and I suppose some roll-control might be in the cards.

Big question: Are front and rear rotors hard-connected?  If they are, safer than otherwise (power lost on one or t'other and it's not a case of a multiple back-flip/forward-flip as you plummet earthwards), but only if they're independent (or semi-independent by a differential/brake kind of set-up, perhaps) can you get machine-only pitch-control.  But I'm betting that a lot of the control is not by the "motorcycle handlebars with a bit of up and down" (paraphased, again) control, but body-weight shifting.

I'm also wondering if his nearly ground-level tethered tests have shown enough power to mean that flight is still possible even without Ground Effect, because those claims for 10,000ft (or whatever they were) rely on that.  Also on the ability to take enough fuel to reach that high, so even if the device could technically fly up in the rarefied air you'd need to be able to take off with enough of the stuff to last for the length of time it takes to get that high (aided by the loss of the fuel weight, it would have to be said).  And one of the articles or the other so far mentioned does say it's a bit of a gas-guzzler.

You probably won't need quite the same consumption rate to make the return journey (under control!), but you still need some gas in your tank, unless that's the point you let the engine cut out and use the vehicle-mounted parachute systems and/or personal backpack type to return (at least the pilot) safely to earth. :)

Also, I know it mentions it as something to be done, but more mesh over the rotor assemblies...  Underside as well, even though it's blowing outwards.

(I also don't think it'd be a viable vehicle to re-enact a 911 scenario.  Even with a backpack of explosives carried by the pilot, or as attached/suspended luggage, it would be no more dangerous to a building than a standard winged or autogyro microlight/ultralight with a maximum load of the similar kit, which is already possible.  And if you were going for that approach, why not use a regular prop-powered civil aircraft.  Memory fails me, but wasn't there a building-CFIT of a light aircraft in NY not long after 911?  Not the jet that came down very soon after (again, IIRC) with it's hydraulics seized, but a small aircraft that turned into a building?  My Google-Fu can't seem to extract this incident from the wider-world of air-crashes.  And I keep getting info on that B25/Empire State Building incident in '45.  Which was far more problematic (ended up destroying a penthouse on the opposite side of the building, with debris that passed through it).  Although I don't doubt (and have ideas of my own) that there'd be far more innovative uses of such a craft, if it ever became common enough to have easy and suspicion-free availability to those that'd want to do something nefarious and intentionally infamous...)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 07:41:49 pm »

Could it be? We finally have Apoc's hoverbike?

Gentlemen, it's time to call in the swarm.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2011, 07:46:11 pm »

Do want. $40,000 is quite a lot, however.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2011, 07:53:14 pm »

Let's take a moment to research dimensional portals and such just in case aliens are going to try and overrun us from another dimension or something.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2011, 07:58:09 pm »

Modded hoverbikes into LCS.
First one I get is rainbow coloured.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 08:03:39 pm »

Let's take a moment to research dimensional portals and such just in case aliens are going to try and overrun us from another dimension or something.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 08:15:21 pm »

I want one. -So bad-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 08:17:08 pm by The Doctor »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 08:18:57 pm »

I disagree. I think that at first, the thing's likelihood damaging its rider will be much higher than a regular motorcycle, as motorcycles have been around for a lot longer, and this prototype, as "safe" as it is, was a hobby by some guy in Australia.

Not to mention, y'know, crashing on the ground is one thing, while crashing into the ground is another matter.

Umm... I was commenting on the things potential as a kamikaze weapon, not the inherent danger in piloting one.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2011, 08:47:19 pm »

Umm... I was commenting on the things potential as a kamikaze weapon, not the inherent danger in piloting one.
See, that's the thing. It has almost no weight. You wouldn't get enough force behind a dive bomb from it to dent a steel girder.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4