Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: City Building Sims  (Read 2307 times)

Tobel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Tobel Plays Youtube
City Building Sims
« on: June 09, 2011, 02:58:45 pm »

Since I'm getting more into my degree field (Geography) I've been wanting to go mess around with some city building games but I haven't checked on that genre in a long time.

I was going to hunt down a copy of Sim City 4. Does anyone know if there is anything better than SC4 out there? Or if there is a large modding population that has continued to improve the game?

I'm only looking for games that are in the modern-ish era right now, so Children of the Nile is out, and also SimCity Societies, never was a big fan of that.

So any city builders out there still in touch with the genre?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: City Building Sims
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 03:00:14 pm »

Cities XL, Cities XL2? I didn't like Cities XL but I didn't get too far into it. It's very detailed.

I'd recommend Anno 1404 as better but you said you wanted modern.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

YouR_DooM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 05:14:56 pm »

Personally I find SC4 >>> Cities XL 2011
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 06:03:21 pm by YouR_DooM »
Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the Plant Reed Fibre Thread Technology!

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 06:02:54 pm »

There is Caesar 4, that was pretty good. :)
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 06:17:23 pm »

Personally I find SC4 >>> Cities XL 2011

With or without the mods and AI rewrites, yes.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 06:38:26 pm »

Sim City $ has a thriving mod community. One group just released a full-on hack of the agriculture system so you can actually build sleepy farm town and have them work.

http://www.simpeg.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0f0a84d6ae8d1e1413fbfe93a271ae41&action=downloads;sa=view;down=614
I got nothing

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 06:59:54 pm »

I used to like simcity 4 a lot.. A LOT.
The new cities xl2011 is nice, but different than simcity at the same time. Personally I like it.
It all depend on what do you like about simcity.

IMO, cities XL got the transit system much more realistically made than simcity, also the utility building (like police, hospital etc) instead of a circular radious, in cities xl it all depends on the road you put it. Like, the radious depends on how much the ambulance would need to travel to reach a certain house, and even if the physical distance if a few meters, if the only way is throught a one direction road that goes all arround the city, that house gets no hiospital cover. Also, the mass transit system is more realistic i think, you have to choose the circuit a bus line will follow, and where are they going to be stoping, etc. In that part, I like cities xl a lot more than simcity.

But what I dont like about cities XL is the economy part. It feels too artificial, with all that token thing. And needing to import fuel and stuff.. I dont know, in that area, simcity is way more friendly (enjoyable) for me.

Also, the overworld view of simcity, where you can see all your cities on a single big map like from a satellite, is what I miss the most on cities xl.
Oh, and I forgot, in cities xl you cant design your map, you have to play on pre defined maps (like 20 or so to pick). No god more terraforming like in simcity. A big bummer.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 07:00:50 pm »

There is Caesar 4, that was pretty good. :)

he wants modern era games :P

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 07:31:33 pm »

Exactly what Krelian said.  I do think I prefer CitiesXL though.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 07:40:08 pm »

The token thing killed the game for me. It's not necessary per se....but I found it hard to progress to the better stuff because so much of the game was geared toward a MP community that never emerged. And the AI was just douchey about trading.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 12:41:22 am »

so much of the game was geared toward a MP community that never emerged.
Because of the subscription model that made so little sense.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 10:21:14 am »

Sim City 4 > Cities XL because of simtropolis.com

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 11:47:33 am »

So this thread has reignited my itch for sims, now i've been getting in and out of DF for the past few days but that won't be enough i'm afraid, and i have Sim City 4 (with that horrible expansion) but i'm afraid that won't be enough, so i've seen there is quite a lot of mods out there for the game, do you guys have suggestions for some good ones, mainly those that enable themathic cities and special stuff like small coast fishing towns, low tech industry sprawls and the like.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 03:01:16 pm »

Tropico 3 is a city builder of sorts, although certainly not on scale with Simcity 4.

Good for those "I want to build a thriving island society of 400 people living together in peaceful, functioning communism" or "I shall oppress you all and stuff all the nations profit in my swiss bank account" moods.